Uploads
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Time Online
    20 d 2 h 58 m
    Avg. Time Online
    18 m

ALL-PURPOSE BOLOGNESE TIME yay

So this bolognese recipe is pretty much da bes. We've used it in my house for many years. It's not only great with pasta but also makes an amazing burrito mince and even works well with brown rice as a snack. It would also work great in little meat savoury pies or pastries. Basically, PUT IT ON EVERYTHING.

You're gonna need some delicious mince. 500 grams of mince, which is a little under 20 ounces so if you buy in ounces just buy 20 because what the hell. I'm using some prime angus beef mince but chicken/lamb/whatever mince works just as beautifully. Pork mince will probably work too if that's your thing.

You also need:
    one jar (~500g) of your favourite tomato-based pasta sauce
    one can of diced/pureed tomatoes
    chicken/beef/vegetable stock cubes/powder (or liquid stock if you don't have cubes)
    one brown onion
    2-3 garlic cloves
    tablespoon of cooking oil (I use rice bran oil)
    pepper, to taste
    handful of spinach or basil (optional)

It seems simple but there's a delicate art to shit like this.

1. Defrost your meat. While it is defrosting, prepare your pan. It should be a wide saucepan with a lid. Drizzle your tablespoon of oil in there. You won't need much! A medium-sized element is ideal for what we need to do.

2. Chop dat onion into small segments and crush (or chop) your garlic cloves. Set garlic aside. Do not forget your protective eyewear, unless you want to be metal as fuck and weep manly tears onto your chopping board.

3. Put the chopped onion in the pan. On low heat, faff around with a spoon or spatula until the onion smells delicious. This doesn't take very long. The important thing here is to not burn the onion or it will caramelise and taste nasty. Add garlic, throw your oniony mess around the pan a bit more and then remove from heat. It is important to add the garlic after the onion as garlic burns quite easily due to its lower water content, which again will make it caramelise and taste pretty un-bolognese-y.

4. Take your delicious mince and pull it apart on a suitable non-porous surface like a meat chopping board. I use my hands to separate it into smaller pieces so that it cooks evenly and makes for a smoother end result, but feel free to keep it chunkier if you prefer the chunk life. Wash your hands and add your mince to the pan.

5. On a medium-low heat, brown the meat and stir it around frequently. It can be really helpful to add a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan to get things moving around easier, or you could use liquid stock. Once the meat is suitably browned, i.e. cooked, add your powdered stock. At this point it's going to smell pretty fuckin' awesome but resist the temptation to eat it.

5a. Avoid standing on the inevitable cat.

u little shit u only luv me 4 mi food. crie evertim.

6. Pour your pasta sauce into the pan and give it a good stir, then let it simmer on low heat with the lid on the pan, lifting it to stir occasionally. Make sure the mince isn't getting stuck to the bottom of the pan!

7. The waiting game has only just begun. When the pasta sauce has steamed off a bit and soaked into the meat a little, add your can of tomatoes and again simmer on low heat with the lid on, stirring occasionally.

8. While you are waiting for it to actually look like a bolognese, you can add some pepper or some chopped chillies. This is pretty much the point where you can customise it to your liking with various seasonings and spices and herbs 'n' shit.

9. Remove from heat once it looks really amazing. Some people prefer it runny but others like to really wait until most of the puree is absorbed/steamed off. Finally, add your handful of spinach and/or basil and stir it in. The heat of the sauce will cook it. This is actually a great way to add greens to meals if you're not a vege person because it kind of disintegrates and becomes just another delicious, sauce-soaked ingredient.

PUT IT ON FOOD OF YOUR CHOICE. You could spaghetti that shit. You could also enchilada that shit. Whatever man.

THIS SAUCE ALSO FREEZES BEAUTIFULLY AND WILL TASTE JUST AS GOOD IF NOT MORE DELICIOUS THAN THE DAY YOU MADE IT.

enjoy, kids

EDIT: OKAY I just ate some of it in a wrap with a ton of hummus and salad greens and I think I reached nirvana 10/10 would bang

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icebox For This Useful Post:

Mod (11-05-2013),SmileYaDead (11-05-2013)

Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,504 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Time Online
    131 d 12 h 4 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 42 m
    IT HURTS.
    [/SPOILER][/SPOILER][/SPOILER][/SPOILER][/SPOILER]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Icebox (11-05-2013)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Time Online
    80 d 17 h 14 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 1 m
    Came here for bolognese, stayed for cat.

Virginia, USA
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Time Online
    12 d 10 h 29 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0441 2699 2071 0542
    I might have to try this sometime. I wasn't even sure what Bolognese was!!

01100111 01110101 01100101 01110011 01110011
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Time Online
    56 d 4 h 26 m
    Avg. Time Online
    42 m
    @kiyomi
    Fried bologna is the best! Well so far in my experience anyway. Just put some butter in a pan and fry it on both sides, I usually put a bit of ketchup on it.

You can also add some to KD and it is really good.
    @Icebox

I will have to try this out sometime, it looks pretty good.

Virginia, USA
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Time Online
    12 d 10 h 29 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0441 2699 2071 0542
    lol That's what I thought it was is bologna... I know when I was a child I liked fried bologna sandwiches and now I can't even stand the smell of bologna. But now that I know that Bolognese is not bologna, I might give it a try.. Yea buddy.