Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: What's a good first car?

  1. #1
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    21
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 113 Times in 83 Posts


    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Time Online
    21 d 9 h 35 m
    Avg. Time Online
    18 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: crazyblackladyy

    What's a good first car?

    So I turn 17 in a couple months, and my dad thought it would be a good idea for me to start looking for a car, but I literally know nothing about cars so I don't know what would be a good car to get. I'm not gonna get a brand new one or anything, and I can't spend more than $15,000 on it. I really want a Jeep but my dad doesn't want to get me one because he says it'll flip over if I turn too fast, and I don't know if that's true or not but whatever. He wants me to get a Mustang like my brother has, but I hate my brothers car and we just can't agree on what I can get. I just need some opinions on what is a good first car to get, one that's reliable and stuff.

  2. #2


    Reese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Location
    United States
    Age
    20
    Posts
    2,315
    Thanks
    1,180
    Thanked 758 Times in 529 Posts


    Downloads
    20
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Time Online
    39 d 23 h 13 m
    Avg. Time Online
    30 m
    Rep Power
    12
    My sister bought a new Honda Accord a few months ago, and she absolutely loves it . Hondas, in my experience, have always been reliable (though our current Oddyssey has somehow attracted two crashes while it was parked in less than a year ) ^_^.
    The standard "beginner" car has historically been a Volvo, as they're always touted as super safe, but I'm afraid I haven't had much experience with them.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reese For This Useful Post:

    Owl (07-10-2013),wrath (07-10-2013)

  4. #3

    Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    1,563
    Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,504 Posts


    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Time Online
    131 d 12 h 4 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 42 m
    Rep Power
    11
    $15k on a first car is a huge budget.

    What your dad says about SUVs is true, but that's only if you like flooring it and going past the speed limit. The center of gravity is higher in an SUV, that's why. The lower the car, and lower the ground clearance, the less chance of rollover.

    The other thing about SUVs is they are gas guzzlers.
    IMO, a used car with a model year in the past 5 years is more than enough; you'll even save more money (if that matters).

    As for actual cars, what're you looking for?
    Economical? 4-door ecocompacts like Civics and Corollas are cheap, cheap on gas, comfortable, and reliable (albeit a little lame).
    Sports Car? Probably stick to some American muscle or pony cars then, like a 'stang, etc.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

    Soul (07-26-2013)

  6. #4
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    21
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 113 Times in 83 Posts


    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Time Online
    21 d 9 h 35 m
    Avg. Time Online
    18 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: crazyblackladyy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    $15k on a first car is a huge budget.

    What your dad says about SUVs is true, but that's only if you like flooring it and going past the speed limit. The center of gravity is higher in an SUV, that's why. The lower the car, and lower the ground clearance, the less chance of rollover.

    The other thing about SUVs is they are gas guzzlers.
    IMO, a used car with a model year in the past 5 years is more than enough; you'll even save more money (if that matters).

    As for actual cars, what're you looking for?
    Economical? 4-door ecocompacts like Civics and Corollas are cheap, cheap on gas, comfortable, and reliable (albeit a little lame).
    Sports Car? Probably stick to some American muscle or pony cars then, like a 'stang, etc.
    I personally always wanted a bigger car because I feel safer in SUVs. If I could have any car it would be a Tahoe but they're expensive I think. My dad keeps trying to get me to look at Mustangs or Camaros but like my brother has a Mustang and it's so loud and it bothers me a lot. I'm really just looking for whatever is going to be the safest for when I crash but I don't want something that will roll over because I do drive kind of fast and I make turns really fast (according to my mom, I don't know if I actually turn fast). I'm not worrying too much about the gas because if I have a job then I can pay for the gas and I probably won't drive anywhere far or anything that will use a lot of gas

  7. #5
    Andrew


    I_royalty_I's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Location
    Behind you.
    Age
    98
    Posts
    5,989
    Thanks
    5,141
    Thanked 7,779 Times in 2,993 Posts


    Downloads
    29
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Time Online
    338 d 5 h 54 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 h 18 m
    Rep Power
    16
    Damn, $15k for a first car is quite a budget. You could even get a brand new car for 15k.
    My parents just got me a shitty car for like 1k. It lasted long enough and then I financed my own car.

    But you can really get whatever you want with the budget. Just look somewhere like carmax, they have all makes and models. Once you find one you like, you can start looking elsewhere for a good deal on that specific car.
    It's really up to you though, what do you want in a car? Do you want a 2door, nice and small. Or do you want a bigger SUV kinda deal so all your friends can fit in?

    ---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by juliaxo View Post
    My dad keeps trying to get me to look at Mustangs or Camaros
    If that is the worst of your problems, I think you will be just fine.
    Geezuss...!!!

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

    Jonathan (07-11-2013),riverdale (07-11-2013),Soul (07-26-2013)

  9. #6
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    21
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 113 Times in 83 Posts


    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Time Online
    21 d 9 h 35 m
    Avg. Time Online
    18 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: crazyblackladyy
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Damn, $15k for a first car is quite a budget. You could even get a brand new car for 15k.
    My parents just got me a shitty car for like 1k. It lasted long enough and then I financed my own car.

    But you can really get whatever you want with the budget. Just look somewhere like carmax, they have all makes and models. Once you find one you like, you can start looking elsewhere for a good deal on that specific car.
    It's really up to you though, what do you want in a car? Do you want a 2door, nice and small. Or do you want a bigger SUV kinda deal so all your friends can fit in?
    I was looking for something bigger so I can drive all my friends. I turn 17 first so they're going to expect me to drive them anyways, even though that's not legal so it makes me kind of nervous. I also don't want anything really old either. My dad said I shouldn't getting anything older than from 2005.

  10. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    747
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 692 Posts


    Downloads
    86
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Time Online
    70 d 14 h 40 m
    Avg. Time Online
    56 m
    Rep Power
    0
    Nissan pathfinder is a decent SUV, but I'm going with @Reese on this one; Honda Accord is an exemplary first car.

  11. #8
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    21
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 113 Times in 83 Posts


    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Time Online
    21 d 9 h 35 m
    Avg. Time Online
    18 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: crazyblackladyy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Nissan pathfinder is a decent SUV, but I'm going with @Reese on this one; Honda Accord is an exemplary first car.
    That's what my mom has and I've been driving. It's like, 12 years old though so I'm sure the new ones are a lot nicer.

    Also, is $15,000 really that big of a budget? I mean, I know people getting brand new BMWs so I don't want to get a crappy car and feel embarrassed xD

  12. #9

    Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    1,563
    Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,504 Posts


    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Time Online
    131 d 12 h 4 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 42 m
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by juliaxo View Post
    I personally always wanted a bigger car because I feel safer in SUVs. /// I'm really just looking for whatever is going to be the safest for when I crash but I don't want something that will roll over because I do drive kind of fast and I make turns really fast (according to my mom, I don't know if I actually turn fast).
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

    ^US Government tested crash safety ratings.

    It is also true that SUVs are a little safer when it comes to crashes, just because of their size. You're higher than other cars in an SUV, so unless you get slammed by another SUV/pickup, you'll receive less of the blow than say, if you were driving a sedan/coupe.

    Overall car design and crash rating is a better judge of safety however; there are sedans that can take harder hits than some SUVs.
    Again, refer to the above link.

    You can't have both crash safety and low-rollover risk however. You need to sacrifice aspects of one for the other.
    So do you think your own driving is more likely to cause an accident, or other people hitting you?

    Another thing to consider about rollover is if the weather is turbulent in your area. Lots of snow, rain (hydroplaning), and ICE especially will greatly increase the risk of rollover when turning at higher speeds.

    Quote Originally Posted by juliaxo View Post
    I mean, I know people getting brand new BMWs so I don't want to get a crappy car and feel embarrassed xD
    Those people are spoiled tools.

  13. #10
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    21
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 113 Times in 83 Posts


    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Time Online
    21 d 9 h 35 m
    Avg. Time Online
    18 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: crazyblackladyy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

    ^US Government tested crash safety ratings.

    It is also true that SUVs are a little safer when it comes to crashes, just because of their size. You're higher than other cars in an SUV, so unless you get slammed by another SUV/pickup, you'll receive less of the blow than say, if you were driving a sedan/coupe.

    Overall car design and crash rating is a better judge of safety however, There are sedans that can take harder hits than some SUVs.
    Again, refer to the above link.

    You can't have both crash safety and low-rollover risk however. You need to sacrifice aspects of one for the other.
    So do you think your own driving is more likely to cause an accident, or other people hitting you?

    Another thing to consider about rollover is if the weather is turbulent in your area. Lots of snow, rain (hydroplaning), and ICE especially will greatly increase the risk of rollover when turning at higher speeds.


    Those people are spoiled tools.
    I don't think I'd cause an accident, I'm really worried about getting hit. I see accidents in my town almost every day and it makes me so paranoid. A lot of teenagers in my town drive drunk too so I'm scared I'll get hit by someone. I live in NJ so the weather is kind of normal I guess, it rains occasionally and sometimes we get a lot of snow in winter but not always. And what's a coupe, is it smaller than a sedan?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •