Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who speaks more than one language?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    161 times
    Time Online
    36d 2h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    trying to learn a second language actually
    at that point where i feel like i'm too old and too ADHD to actually have anything stick ;--;

blessed by @Clefairy for a prosperous and eggy 2022
    and blessed by @honeycomb with snek on a string crowley ily

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowley For This Useful Post:

kittyray (02-10-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    381 times
    Time Online
    89d 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
    trying to learn a second language actually
    at that point where i feel like i'm too old and too ADHD to actually have anything stick ;--;
    Good luck. I want to learn a 3de language this year. Enrolled in a course
    Hope it doable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

♥ Crowley ♥ (02-06-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    449 times
    Time Online
    64d 11h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    My native language is Hebrew.
    I learned English through school but mostly by myself since the level taught in schools here is very low.

Aside from that, my Japanese level is pretty decent as well. I'm at around 99% of understanding (listening), so currently I'm working hard on improving my reading, writing and speaking (though I can totally get by in Japan even with my relatively low level in these)
    I also took a Russian course in uni - I always wanted to learn Russian. After finishing the course I kept and still keeping the knowledge I gained mainly through Duolingo. Duolingo is a very bad resource when it comes to actually learning new things imo, but it's good for keeping up with what you already know up to a certain level. Hopefully one day I can put more time into Russian again to actually have some real progress there.

Btw, all that means that I can pretty much read stuff in 4 different alphabets

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

kittyray (02-10-2024),mokavanila (02-06-2024),nousha (02-06-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    381 times
    Time Online
    89d 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by TsUNaMy WaVe View Post
    My native language is Hebrew.
    I learned English through school but mostly by myself since the level taught in schools here is very low.

Aside from that, my Japanese level is pretty decent as well. I'm at around 99% of understanding (listening), so currently I'm working hard on improving my reading, writing and speaking (though I can totally get by in Japan even with my relatively low level in these)
    I also took a Russian course in uni - I always wanted to learn Russian. After finishing the course I kept and still keeping the knowledge I gained mainly through Duolingo. Duolingo is a very bad resource when it comes to actually learning new things imo, but it's good for keeping up with what you already know up to a certain level. Hopefully one day I can put more time into Russian again to actually have some real progress there.

Btw, all that means that I can pretty much read stuff in 4 different alphabets
    OMW I think that's like super amazing!
    I mean I am native in two language but they use the same alphabet!

What you can do and is doing is just WOW. Even the sesotho I now want to learn use the same alphabet although apparently a few letters are left out

8. The Following User Says Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

TsUNaMy WaVe (02-06-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by caviar View Post
    What are people's favorite language-learning resources? For people who are proficient in more than one language, what method/tactic best helped you?
    I've tried a few methods - my first foreign language, I was learning in high school, very traditional methods, writing new words dozens of time, etc. Works well when you're a student and the main purpose of the school is to teach you that language as you have all the time in the world, more or less. Throw in the mix a native speaker teacher and it gets even better. But unless you're very rich, don't need to work and can afford to study for a few hours a day with a private native speaker, I don't think it's suitable for adults

Then another way is the way I studied English, it worked very well but again, not very suitable - I started at a low level, at the time I was teaching French as a part-time job to support myself while at uni and the owner of the language school decided than I can teach English as well (less demand for French, more for English). I was very young and stupid, so I agreed and frankly, I learned the language by teaching it (was afraid I'll be ashamed if I was asked something in class that I didn't know, so I prepared extremely well for every lesson). I don't recommend this in hind side though

What I think works very well is immersive learning, meaning you're in an environment where the language is spoken exclusively and if you cannot afford to do a language course in the country of origin, try to expose yourself as much as you can to the language by watching movies (subtitled, not dubbed), listening to podcasts, YouTube videos, radio, whatever. That really helps a lot as the brain subconsciously remembers thing, gets the pronunciation and the rhythm of the phrase, remembers word associations etc.Still, I'm a visual learner and I do need to write things down in order to remember them well, so apps don't usually work well for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nousha For This Useful Post:

caviar (02-08-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    19d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by TsUNaMy WaVe View Post
    Duolingo is a very bad resource when it comes to actually learning new things imo, but it's good for keeping up with what you already know up to a certain level.
    Honestly, I'm finding you're kinda right. I took Spanish in high school but it's been years and years since then. The Spanish lessons, at least the early ones, have been easy and are jogging my memory. I'm struggling with the Japanese ones. I'm getting things right, but they're not actually sinking in, really. I just recognize them, I guess. I'll have to look into a Japanese class.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to caviar For This Useful Post:

TsUNaMy WaVe (02-08-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    6d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Spanish is my first language which I can still read, write, speak, fluently. English next, studied a lot of French, then some Brazilian Portuguese, dabbled in Italian, now getting the basics down for Cantonese. So, basically Spanish and English, but pick up a handful of stuff with other languages.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lint For This Useful Post:

kittyray (02-10-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Do you guys also feel like you need some sort of motivation to learn a language? Like living in a foreign country, having friends that speak it, having specific hobbies linked to that country, etc. I've been trying to improve in Spanish (my 3rd language) but finding motivation is hard...

Pronouns
    anything/goes
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    english, german, polish (in that order), plus also learning some russian!

amazing stack by the talented (you need an account to see links)!
    <3 adorable wonderful art by my friend Elle <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    6d 5h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I am English first language, but I can read and speak Japanese at an intermediate level (though I could definitely use more Kanji knowledge). I can also read quite a bit of Korean, though I cannot speak it well...I used to play on Korean Maplestory servers, and they had random bot checks that would also flag people who might be from NA/EU that weren't supposed to be on Korean servers. I had to learn enough Korean to get by and pass the bot checks. I know a bit of Portuguese as well because I have lots of online friends from Brazil that I game with often, but only enough to get the gist of what's going on.

I want to become more advanced with Japanese and Korean.