Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Random Guide to Misconceptions: TNT and you!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Well I did say they are capable. I didn't say that they do anything about it :p

Cause someday I'll be OVER 9,000... Rep!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    225 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylae View Post
    Again though, I mean, these websites have been open for years and years, and they do nothing about it, and if they do something, it's obviously not working, because all the websites are still fine.
    I've been thinking that these websites are hosted in countries with lax internet laws. If you try to track their IPs, I remember one of them is based in Panama. That country has more to worry bout drugs and violence (sorry if I offended anyone from Panama) than internet laws, so it's difficult for neopets to do much. But if you're based in a country like US (For example get weebly to host your site) can neopets just tell weebly to shut down your site for violating their copyrights? (Weebly's terms and conditions does not allow hosting of "Copyrighted Content: music, movies or games that you do not own the rights to")

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    I honestly don't think TNT wants to shut sites like this down. How many people would they lose if they lost the cheaters??

Srsly, think about it. I bet you a week in Hawaii that a giant chunk of that site is cheaters. I know "legit" players who have bought NPs on the side. Big names running around the boards. TNT can't shut us down. They'd lose half their damn website.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by goodieboy View Post
    I've been thinking that these websites are hosted in countries with lax internet laws. If you try to track their IPs, I remember one of them is based in Panama. That country has more to worry bout drugs and violence (sorry if I offended anyone from Panama) than internet laws, so it's difficult for neopets to do much. But if you're based in a country like US (For example get weebly to host your site) can neopets just tell weebly to shut down your site for violating their copyrights? (Weebly's terms and conditions does not allow hosting of "Copyrighted Content: music, movies or games that you do not own the rights to")
    To my knowledge, that's not really how it works. Weebly doesn't allow copy righted content to be published and used on their site. The reason WEEBLY in specific does not want copyrighted material hosted by them is because to my recollection, they take half the money you generate with adsense. What that means is that they assume partial liability for any legal problems you cause with your website hosted by weebly. In this sense, yes, Weebly probably would shut down your site because they do not want to be involved with any legal litigation, due to the fact that anything you do illegally they must take responsibility for.

On the other hand, if you are paying a REAL webhost to host your site, IE lunar pages or something of the sort where you have admin panels, access to everything, and can limitlessly generate and put your own content on the servers, that is a different story. The reason is because you are paying them for the "storage space" so to speak. What you do with it is completely in your own hands, and they don't take a portion of any profits you reap from the launching of your website. With that being said, no, if TNT wants your site shut down, they have to directly come after you. They can threaten with legal litigation, but it doesn't 100% mean they have a solid case on you either. It doesn't really matter what country the domain host is located on generally though, unless you're doing something blatantly illegal and have a huge amass of evidence on you (megavideo) it's impossible for anyone to force you to take something down.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcakeninja View Post
    I honestly don't think TNT wants to shut sites like this down. How many people would they lose if they lost the cheaters??

Srsly, think about it. I bet you a week in Hawaii that a giant chunk of that site is cheaters. I know "legit" players who have bought NPs on the side. Big names running around the boards. TNT can't shut us down. They'd lose half their damn website.

They would want to shut us down if they felt the loss in sales of NC were contributed to us. Or as was mentioned earlier, they'd shut us down if the games economy was suddenly destroyed by a select few very powerful cheaters. They don't care that legit players buy NP that much, nor they care that much about the sellers (except maybe that anal Tony P guy). Viacom is seeking one thing, profits. If they felt that shutting down cheaters could prolong the life of the game neopets and prolong how much profit they gained from it, they'd do it without a second of hesitation. The reason why they have not acted is because the costs would likely outweight the benefits of shutting down cheaters.

It's not that they're AFRAID to do it per say, it's that they don't see the benefit in doing it (when compared to the costs).
    Last edited by Xanice; 07-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciricus View Post

It's not that they're AFRAID to do it per say, it's that they don't see the benefit in doing it (when compared to the costs).

I didn't say they were afraid. I said they wouldn't do it.

1. I'm so awesome, they wouldn't dare. They'd lose cool points for even trying.

2. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

3. Tony and Bex are going to make babies.

4. All eyes on me in the center of the ring just like a @(you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I didn't say they were afraid. I said they wouldn't do it.

1. I'm so awesome, they wouldn't dare. They'd lose cool points for even trying.

2. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

3. Tony and Bex are going to make babies.

4. All eyes on me in the center of the ring just like a @(you need an account to see links)

Brb getting a pin to pop that overinflated ego.

No jk. But really, I do agree they wouldn't do it just because they have had so much time to do something about it, it's clear that profit-wise, it's not worth their time or money. Still, if they were ever feeling whimsical, who knows. They might have boys in uniforms come to the yard for your milkshakes. Also jk.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Brb getting a pin to pop that overinflated ego.

No jk. But really, I do agree they wouldn't do it just because they have had so much time to do something about it, it's clear that profit-wise, it's not worth their time or money. Still, if they were ever feeling whimsical, who knows. They might have boys in uniforms come to the yard for your milkshakes. Also jk.

It's not overinflated. it's pink. Difference.

besides... without us, Tony Pissant wouldn't have a job.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It's not overinflated. it's pink. Difference.

besides... without us, Tony Pissant wouldn't have a job.
    Sure he would. I'm told janitor is a very important position at Viacom

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Sure he would. I'm told janitor is a very important position at Viacom
    This is true...

Thanks
    DL/UL
    121/0
    Mentioned
    47 times
    Time Online
    8d 7h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Hey... stop picking on my awesome lover...

You guyzzzzz are meanies...