Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 11m

Anxiety (How do you deal?)

How do you guys deal with your anxiety?
    Do you have your own coping mechanisms? Do you have any suggestions for someone struggling with their own anxiety?

Context: I'm constantly living in my own head, fearing the unknown, never feeling good enough. It's getting pretty stressful; almost to the point of feeling nauseous.
    I have not yet sought medical help because it's very difficult for me to put my feelings into words, so I feel as though I wouldn't be able to get professional help.

I'm not opposed to getting professional help, but I would like to try some other suggestions first.
    (Also, I'm 27 and already taking blood pressure medication haha... So I would not really like to jump on any more medications until absolutely necessary...)

What do you guys do?

(Shout out to all of you. You're all lovely people and often help provide a temporary escape from reality.)

EDIT:
    I'm sitting here at my desk at work, trying not to have an emotional breakdown. I feel a little silly... Step one! I've reached out to my healthcare provider (Blue Cross) to inquire about referrals and such. I have a great health care plan at work, but the stipulations and rules are a little vague. (I would honestly compare it to the arbitrary rules of TNT...)
    Last edited by motherfucker; 12-14-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    i used to have a lot of difficulty performing simple tasks to the point of starving myself for days and sleeping every opportunity possible instead of doing more productive things; even showering was too much for me! i overthought every little detail about my life to the point of not doing anything anymore for some sort of relief.
    i did actually seek psychiatric help and it really didnt do much for me. im more of a closed book kind of gal, so just opening up to a stranger about everything that has gone wrong in my life just feels like a pity party im paying for and its hard for me to get behind that personally. i also really didnt want to be on medication because that would have impeded on my ability to join the military later on, which was an option i was still contemplating at the time. i know plenty of people that the help has made a world of a difference to though. after stopping therapy, i wrote out my feelings in a journal. just little notes like "not hungry today". seeing my issues on paper made it a lot easier for me to be like wow, i really should eat something or maybe im sleeping too much.
    another thing i did was choose to keep only positive thoughts in my head. something that still gets me through each day is remembering that theres another day, week, month, year, etc following this day, so things wont change overnight and thats okay. its okay to feel bad and its okay to feel good but being more positive about life in general and instead of thinking, why am i like this, thinking, what can i do to be less like this.

sorry if my thoughts are a jumble but you know i love you mike and i am here!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumbo Shrimp For This Useful Post:

Gato (12-14-2018),motherfucker (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo Shrimp View Post
    i used to have a lot of difficulty performing simple tasks to the point of starving myself for days and sleeping every opportunity possible instead of doing more productive things; even showering was too much for me! i overthought every little detail about my life to the point of not doing anything anymore for some sort of relief.
    i did actually seek psychiatric help and it really didnt do much for me. im more of a closed book kind of gal, so just opening up to a stranger about everything that has gone wrong in my life just feels like a pity party im paying for and its hard for me to get behind that personally. i also really didnt want to be on medication because that would have impeded on my ability to join the military later on, which was an option i was still contemplating at the time. i know plenty of people that the help has made a world of a difference to though. after stopping therapy, i wrote out my feelings in a journal. just little notes like "not hungry today". seeing my issues on paper made it a lot easier for me to be like wow, i really should eat something or maybe im sleeping too much.
    another thing i did was choose to keep only positive thoughts in my head. something that still gets me through each day is remembering that theres another day, week, month, year, etc following this day, so things wont change overnight and thats okay. its okay to feel bad and its okay to feel good but being more positive about life in general and instead of thinking, why am i like this, thinking, what can i do to be less like this.

sorry if my thoughts are a jumble but you know i love you mike and i am here!!
    That's good advice! Thank you <3 I love you too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to motherfucker For This Useful Post:

Jumbo Shrimp (12-14-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    45d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    29m

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gato For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (12-14-2018),Goddammit (12-14-2018),motherfucker (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifthappens View Post
    I am sorry to hear that you're going through what I am. It's nice to know I'm not alone, but knowing the feelings all too well, I would never wish it on anyone.
    I find that I'm not really enjoying the little things anymore. I used to be very into music. Just blasting it in the car and singing and dancing, or popping my headphones on at home and just feeling the beat of a good song and the lyrics. I haven't done much for it anymore. I don't seem to enjoy it all as much as I used to.

I live in a perpetual fear of disappointing people. I want to get to the root of where my issues came from, but I guess I would really need to delve into therapy for that.
    Step 1.5: I've reached out to a psychologist to book a consultation.

I don't like to show too much emotion, so this might cause even more anxiety. I feel like as soon as the therapist asks "are you ok", I'll just lose my shit and have a meltdown...

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Teraphy could be hard on the begin but its the right path

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gena For This Useful Post:

motherfucker (12-14-2018)

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Firstly, I believe that literally everyone can benefit from weekly therapy. I'm surprised that there's still a stigma in this day in age for having a therapist, because it's insanely good for your health to have an unrelated/irrelevant-to-your-life person to vent all your shit to.

Now, this second thing I'd only recommend if you are financially stable enough: a pet. Like, emotional service animal aside, I can't even imagine surviving without a pet. I grew up with lots of pets and became morbidly depressed in college when I was living without them. I now share my room with guinea pigs and rats. I think pets are very helpful in that they not only give you much-needed cuddles and a non-judgmental ear (or at least you can't hear their judgment lol), but I personally find having the responsibility really helpful. Knowing that there's always something I'm coming home to, that needs my help and existence, helps me relax a lot.

Lastly, MUSIC. I've been struggling with anxiety my whole life basically. Music is always my go-to to calm down. Blast music in your headphones, focus on your breathing, and relax. Specifically, I find Jon Bellion's music to be really helpful these days. Especially (you need an account to see links), which is really about struggling to live happy whilst fighting anxiety and stress.

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

Da Plushee Boree (12-14-2018),Gato (12-15-2018),motherfucker (12-14-2018)

Pronouns
    hers/his
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    43d 13h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    How are you?
    Are you living alone? With someone? Pets?
    Do you like games, cartoons, books, movies?
    Everything can affect you and it's hard to know what could help.

If you want to talk, don't hesitate to PM, we don't know each other, but still maybe can help each other ^^
    I really hope you are ok, i'm sorry my ideas aren't clear

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Firstly, I believe that literally everyone can benefit from weekly therapy. I'm surprised that there's still a stigma in this day in age for having a therapist, because it's insanely good for your health to have an unrelated/irrelevant-to-your-life person to vent all your shit to.

Now, this second thing I'd only recommend if you are financially stable enough: a pet. Like, emotional service animal aside, I can't even imagine surviving without a pet. I grew up with lots of pets and became morbidly depressed in college when I was living without them. I now share my room with guinea pigs and rats. I think pets are very helpful in that they not only give you much-needed cuddles and a non-judgmental ear (or at least you can't hear their judgment lol), but I personally find having the responsibility really helpful. Knowing that there's always something I'm coming home to, that needs my help and existence, helps me relax a lot.

Lastly, MUSIC. I've been struggling with anxiety my whole life basically. Music is always my go-to to calm down. Blast music in your headphones, focus on your breathing, and relax. Specifically, I find Jon Bellion's music to be really helpful these days. Especially (you need an account to see links), which is really about struggling to live happy whilst fighting anxiety and stress.
    Last edited by Da Plushee Boree; 12-14-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Crow is right about pets, i love my cats

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Da Plushee Boree For This Useful Post:

Crow (12-14-2018),Gato (12-15-2018),motherfucker (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Yeah, I think I'm coming to terms with the fact (even just today) that talking to an impartial party is probably going to be important. I've never actually thought about the stigma behind it, but maybe it's subconscious. I've often felt like I've wasted people's time, so most of the time, I just don't bother.

I'm definitely financially stable enough for a pet, but I'm not responsible enough to properly take care of one. I think it would be irresponsible to get one, and totally unfair to the animal.

Like I've said, I have avoided some music lately because it feels boring, and some other music makes me feel like I could break down at any moment. Sometimes, the lyrics just get to me. I'll definitely check out more of Jon Bellion's stuff. I did like his first single he released.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Draikmoth View Post
    How are you?
    Are you living alone? With someone? Pets?
    Do you like games, cartoons, books, movies?
    Everything can affect you and it's hard to know what could help.

If you want to talk, don't hesitate to PM, we don't know each other, but still maybe can help each other ^^
    I really hope you are ok, i'm sorry my ideas aren't clear

Thank you for reaching out. The kindness of you guys (even not knowing me from a Tree in the forest) is heart-warming.
    I currently live alone, but I'm relocating shortly to move in with my significant other. He's been supportive, but I often feel like I'm a burden to him.

I have a lot on my plate these days, in terms of emotional things to deal with. It's hard because I love him with all of my heart, but because it's hard for me to put my emotions into words, he often doesn't understand why I'm upset. (But I think that's because I don't fully understand it either.) He always asks if there's anything he can do to help me, and I honestly can't say how he can help me.

Context: we've been in a long distance relationship (3 hours drive) for almost a year now, and it's been difficult for me because I crave the physical side and even just a hug sometimes. I can't have it, so I become needy and what I assume to be is annoying. A work position opened up in the city he is in, so I took it, and I'm moving in with him (in agreement by both of us).

I constantly ask him if everything's ok, because if I don't hear from him, or over-analyze his texts / phone calls, then I freak out and spiral, and I could see how it could get on his nerves. I'm fully conscious of everything, which probably makes things worse. I feel crazy, but I cannot hold back from letting the crazy out.

Here's what I've got, all going on at the same time:
    - Parents announced divorce at Thanksgiving (awkward split time), they've been together for 35 years. I've always wanted a love like they (had) for each other. It's heartbreaking for me to see them go through it, and it's a lot of change for me all at the same time.
    - Moving in with my S/O. I've lived in the same city for (essentially) my whole life. All of my friends, all of everything is here. I have this great work opportunity, and I get to live with the man I love (and hope to marry), but I'm terrified.
    - I had a coworker quit a few weeks ago, so I'm struggling to keep up. My employer doesn't hold it against me at all, but I've made some silly mistakes, because I'm just so busy. It's hard to pay attention to a million things at once. Every time I make a silly error, I feel less and less competent. When I move, my job and description doesn't change, it's simply the location I work out of. Work has just been a lot lately. I feel very guilty when I can't do a good job.

There's so much change all at once, I'm finding it hard to handle. My S/O sees me as moving in with him just as stressful (because he's never lived with anyone before), and it's hard for me to see that, because I feel like our situations are so different, that I get a little angry every time he brings up that he's stressed out.

He hasn't really gone through what I'm going through, so for him to have opinions sometimes gets on my nerves, because sometimes all I want is empathy and a hug.

Sorry if this is word vomit, I kinda just started going and couldn't stop.

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Also, sometimes a breakdown is good. I have one at least monthly. I have a sad playlist specifically meant for it. To just sob and let go of things.

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

Gato (12-15-2018),Goddammit (12-14-2018),motherfucker (12-14-2018)