15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m

Quake Hits Japan

First and foremost to members who live in the area i hope you are safe and doing well. 7.6 Magnitude on New Years Day. Scary as all fucking hell- to people who live in areas with earthquakes how do you prepare? I live in the midwest so the most we go through is hail- maybe a tornado warning but never had one hit. There was one in plainfield but YEARS ago..

Wajima was one of the worst areas affected plus a fire had burned through the town. Ishikawa prefecture was the epicenter and I couldnt imagine feeling, seeing, going through this for you all. Been keeping up to date on this with YouTube and im hoping people are doing as best as they can. I do have included some videos put into a spoiler for if youd like to watch, landslides and what have you.

I was also just binge watching some creators invest into 1930s japanese houses and i got deep dived into a rabbit hole of why you shouldnt. they werent designed for earthquakes. really interesting stuff ive added some pictures:

(you need an account to see links)

id forgotten there was a 9.0 in japan 2011 which was super destructive... praying to those out there. be as safe as you can.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

Bunnii (01-07-2024),dono (01-05-2024),I_royalty_I (01-05-2024),infestedvirus (01-05-2024),John Cena (01-06-2024),kittyray (01-05-2024),Null_user (01-09-2024),Peaches_and_Mocha (01-06-2024),RicoBandito (01-05-2024),xCarRadio (01-06-2024),Zenitsu (01-06-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 4h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Thanks for sharing this information. I had no idea where Ishikawa was so I had to look it up on Google Maps. That area seems quite remote compared to the larger cities like Tokyo, so it makes sense that there would be much older infrastructure there. My heart breaks for both the people, and the destruction of history in that area. I hope that the people can afford to rebuilt rather than move away, and hopefully with more modern buildings

In terms of earthquake preparation, I lived in BC for awhile and we had to do earthquake training at work. There really isn't that much you can do in the moment other than hide under a sturdy surface so that people can find you when the roof caves in. Preparation is the key factor really.

If you want a spooky story to read before bed, (you need an account to see links) is a great read. Its about a huge fault line called Cascadia that spans from California all the way to Vancouver Island.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peaches_and_Mocha For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (01-06-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    119/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    19d 6h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I live on Vancouver Island where we are "overdue for 'the Big One'" and we honestly aren't prepared... because to get prepared costs $$$!!!

We do have cash in a fire/flood proof safe and some fire extinguishers, but that's about it. It's recommended to have at least one earthquake kit (pretty much a survival kit that can sustain your household for up to one week) and to just be educated on what to do while an earthquake happens, what tremours are, after shocks, etc. We learned about it all in school and even did earthquake drills and such.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xCarRadio For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (01-06-2024),Peaches_and_Mocha (01-06-2024)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches_and_Mocha View Post
    Thanks for sharing this information. I had no idea where Ishikawa was so I had to look it up on Google Maps. That area seems quite remote compared to the larger cities like Tokyo, so it makes sense that there would be much older infrastructure there. My heart breaks for both the people, and the destruction of history in that area. I hope that the people can afford to rebuilt rather than move away, and hopefully with more modern buildings

In terms of earthquake preparation, I lived in BC for awhile and we had to do earthquake training at work. There really isn't that much you can do in the moment other than hide under a sturdy surface so that people can find you when the roof caves in. Preparation is the key factor really.

If you want a spooky story to read before bed, (you need an account to see links) is a great read. Its about a huge fault line called Cascadia that spans from California all the way to Vancouver Island.
    @(you need an account to see links) thanks sharing this article! && yeah when i found out i was floored. Been saving up to go visit -which ill still keep doing but i need to plan days so that they dont interfere with seasons that have devastation.

i work underground. so if an earthquake ever happened my life is gone. im glad my area doesnt have them but im sure theres inventors who have ways of creating safer situations for things like this no? I mean from looking at this its clear theres yes and nos plus evacuations of course. but damn. its so scary.

im glad you guys have training for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xCarRadio View Post
    I live on Vancouver Island where we are "overdue for 'the Big One'" and we honestly aren't prepared... because to get prepared costs $$$!!!

We do have cash in a fire/flood proof safe and some fire extinguishers, but that's about it. It's recommended to have at least one earthquake kit (pretty much a survival kit that can sustain your household for up to one week) and to just be educated on what to do while an earthquake happens, what tremours are, after shocks, etc. We learned about it all in school and even did earthquake drills and such.
    thats so interesting! does the area or "county" have other funds relocated so that if that event did happen your community would be set? i dont fear tornadoes. i fear water and the earth shattering...

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    119/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    19d 6h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    @(you need an account to see links) In the event that this happens, the province of BC will issue a state of emergency which will allow funds to be redirected to the response efforts. I'm not entirely sure how that all works, but it's a common occurrence in the summer to have a state of emergency with our wildfires. I'm grateful that I don't live in a common wildfire zone so I haven't personally go through that before. I know tens of thousands of families were living in makeshift shelters in school gyms and such. It was a scary time for them!

As for rebuilding and stuff, I honestly don't know what happens. For me personally, we have earthquake insurance for our home but MANY insurance places are starting to not offer this (disgusting move on their part given where we live) so I don't know what would happen for those who cannot get earthquake insurance. It does freak me out so I try not to think about it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xCarRadio For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (01-09-2024),Peaches_and_Mocha (01-09-2024)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    125 times
    Time Online
    18d 1h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m

Same here in New Zealand, we are meant to be getting a big one any day now it's overdue by like 100 years or something.
    I feel bad for japan and hope they recover quickly from this, their construction industry is high class.
    It always pays to have a survival kit just in case, and cash and petrol for emergencies

Thanks to Houndoom for the Shinx drawing!
    Thanks to Great White North for the Shinx Ryu!
    Thanks to DankRUSE for the avatar and to Lyrichord for the userbars and tying it in to the avatar art!
    You all are amazing <3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinx For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (01-09-2024)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    @(you need an account to see links) In the event that this happens, the province of BC will issue a state of emergency which will allow funds to be redirected to the response efforts. I'm not entirely sure how that all works, but it's a common occurrence in the summer to have a state of emergency with our wildfires. I'm grateful that I don't live in a common wildfire zone so I haven't personally go through that before. I know tens of thousands of families were living in makeshift shelters in school gyms and such. It was a scary time for them!

As for rebuilding and stuff, I honestly don't know what happens. For me personally, we have earthquake insurance for our home but MANY insurance places are starting to not offer this (disgusting move on their part given where we live) so I don't know what would happen for those who cannot get earthquake insurance. It does freak me out so I try not to think about it.
    @(you need an account to see links) lower illinois has gotten hot enough that there has been a natural wildfire i havent seen it myself but would not want to be around. it spreads so easily. jeeze thats terrible. if anything theyd be making money from it considering how insurance companies work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx View Post
    Same here in New Zealand, we are meant to be getting a big one any day now it's overdue by like 100 years or something.
    I feel bad for japan and hope they recover quickly from this, their construction industry is high class.
    It always pays to have a survival kit just in case, and cash and petrol for emergencies
    been looking into MREs and stuff for a kit. possibly looking into a safer bunker if you will for home owners myself.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

♥ Shinx ♥ (01-09-2024)

Pronouns
    1/0
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5d 2h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    This is so scary!
    When the news got here, I didn't pay much attention since Japan is always prone to earthquakes, now I realize how big it was!
    I hope the death toll isn't as big as in 2016. I know Japanese government go all-in with rescue teams and whatnot.

I have never experienced a big earthquake before. The region is not in an active zone, but when it hits I am pretty sure we will not be prepared. Might starting to look into MRE and a variety of kits just in case.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    119/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    19d 6h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Null_user View Post
    This is so scary!
    When the news got here, I didn't pay much attention since Japan is always prone to earthquakes, now I realize how big it was!
    I hope the death toll isn't as big as in 2016. I know Japanese government go all-in with rescue teams and whatnot.

I have never experienced a big earthquake before. The region is not in an active zone, but when it hits I am pretty sure we will not be prepared. Might starting to look into MRE and a variety of kits just in case.

The scary thing with global warming is that areas who haven't experienced intense weather before are starting to experience it. We've had regions in Canada who have never had wildfires experience some of the worst these last few years. I know it's the same with tornados. We don't have them where I live, but they're starting to happen. It's crazy!

At the bare minimum, they recommend having one weeks worth of things for your household to survive on in an earthquake kit.

Our government actually has a whole page on the official government website dedicated to earthquake preparedness: (you need an account to see links) and the Red Cross has a page regarding what should be in your kit: (you need an account to see links)

- - - Updated - - -
    @(you need an account to see links) that's terrifying Especially when you live somewhere that this isn't normal.

Insurance is just a giant scam. It's ridiculous. The longer we go without an earthquake, the more money they're making off of us having earthquake insurance... so why pull it?!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to xCarRadio For This Useful Post:

Null_user (01-09-2024)