DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    My dad sincerely thinks I need to be more open-minded because I don't believe a printed newspaper is a good source for job listings in my industry (tech).

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (05-31-2023),Synth Salazzle (05-31-2023),Teakwood (06-05-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    31d 15h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Since we're on the job theme in here, I'm in an extremely frustrating place where I want to change careers. It seems to be impossible -- all the jobs above entry level ask for several years experience in the job, and entry level jobs won't take me because I'd be taking a large pay cut and it obviously makes people suspicious.

I wish it didn't seem like I should have known exactly what I wanted to do from when I was 20, rather than being successful at one thing almost accidentally but not wanting to get stuck in that role and career path all my life.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to birdies For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (05-31-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 1h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    @(you need an account to see links) I'm sorry but that just made me laugh out loud lol. I have to deal with things similar to that with my 71 year old mother. I'm just like.....most of these things either don't apply to life anymore or pure propaganda by the ruling class to get you to work work work. Sigh.
    @(you need an account to see links) I am in the same situation as you. Wish I didn't pick now to switch careers but it kind of needs to happen. No one is hiring for my field anymore, I quit a job where everyone got laid off months after and then I got laid off at the new job I found. They want experienced people for entry level jobs then be like "you're overqualified" or you apply to a job you have years of experience just for them to say "we found better candidates" I just got one of those emails today. Like, really? You found other people with more than 9 years of experience in this very niche thing? Right...I think most of those listings are "ghost listings." I've been reading a lot of r/recruitinghell for months because I've been unemployed for some time now. Lots of people are experiencing what we are experiencing. Companies are saying they're hiring but really not. Just to make the company look like they're doing good. Or you go through all of these interviews, reference checks, etc. just to be told they're freezing hiring. Man.

OR these one-way interview things. I have 2 of them to do but I really don't know if I should. I'm kind of irritated....like it's not worth your time a day to at least put in the effort of a phone screen? Should I do these seriously, not do them, or do the interview and ream these people? But then again I need to eat and have been skipping meals because of not being employed. I am angry but don't have the financials to be petty w these people. I'm about to just start streaming crazy pokemon runs and hope it sticks lol :/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

kittyray (05-31-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    31d 15h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) I'm sorry but that just made me laugh out loud lol. I have to deal with things similar to that with my 71 year old mother. I'm just like.....most of these things either don't apply to life anymore or pure propaganda by the ruling class to get you to work work work. Sigh.
    @(you need an account to see links) I am in the same situation as you. Wish I didn't pick now to switch careers but it kind of needs to happen. No one is hiring for my field anymore, I quit a job where everyone got laid off months after and then I got laid off at the new job I found. They want experienced people for entry level jobs then be like "you're overqualified" or you apply to a job you have years of experience just for them to say "we found better candidates" I just got one of those emails today. Like, really? You found other people with more than 9 years of experience in this very niche thing? Right...I think most of those listings are "ghost listings." I've been reading a lot of r/recruitinghell for months because I've been unemployed for some time now. Lots of people are experiencing what we are experiencing. Companies are saying they're hiring but really not. Just to make the company look like they're doing good. Or you go through all of these interviews, reference checks, etc. just to be told they're freezing hiring. Man.

OR these one-way interview things. I have 2 of them to do but I really don't know if I should. I'm kind of irritated....like it's not worth your time a day to at least put in the effort of a phone screen? Should I do these seriously, not do them, or do the interview and ream these people? But then again I need to eat and have been skipping meals because of not being employed. I am angry but don't have the financials to be petty w these people. I'm about to just start streaming crazy pokemon runs and hope it sticks lol :/
    I'm so sorry to hear you're in such a rough position. I'm very lucky that I'm currently in my long term job while looking but -- I've been looking for a year and I've gotten nowhere and I'm unhappy where I am.

I also had a situation where I went through about 4 interviews for a job I really wanted, was basically told I had the job, only to then be told that I would have got the job but they've decided not to hire for it this year and wait until next year instead. They said they didn't want to 'lose me', so offered me a freelance position. My dudes, I have another job which I'm not quitting for some scraps of freelancing, especially after being messed around this way.

But yes, expecting people to have experience just to get viciously underpaid entry level jobs is wild, and not having any vision when it comes to transferrable skills to allow people to move in above entry level is just exhausting. I feel so stuck.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    @(you need an account to see links) no omg don't feel bad for laughing because it's hilarious, i am just also very annoyed about it, lmao

But yeah to you and @(you need an account to see links), now is a really frustrating job market across a lot of industries. Godspeed to us all.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    any/all
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    19d 15h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    so sunday morning upon opening my macbook air i found that the screen was broken and pretty much unusable. as in, the lcd layer cracked- only about a quarter of the screen is legible, the rest is a mess of bright vertical lines and rapid flickering.

had an apple store appointment today that i spent the prior days mentally preparing for. i wanted to be as friendly and understanding as possible so that maybe the genius assigned to me would cut me some slack and offer the repair at reduced or no cost.

i think the damage was caused by either a speck of something with a hardness greater than glass being pressed into the screen upon folding the macbook, or pressure from the weight of a single hardback book and my nintendo switch. either way i think that falls somewhere between "gross negligence" and "manufacturing error".

anyway, at the appointment, the genius was very friendly and we had very good rapport. we talked about how we liked the direction apple was taking with design language for the macbook airs, and the upcoming wwdc conference. however, he did not cut me any slack. $450 for the repair.

is it super entitled of me to think i deserve special treatment? are there ways i could have been even more careful with my macbook that could have prevented the incident? should i have just taken the macbook to another repair place to get it fixed for cheaper? am i kind of a dumbass for being this loyal to apple? the answer to all those questions is a resounding "yes".

but this is the petty edition board so i get to be petty

i am still holding out hope that when i pick the macbook up that they wave the repair fee in the name of surprise and delight. i can technically afford the repair, but i would prefer to not have to pay!

either way this is making me consider trading this one in to get a newer model that i can put apple care+ on it. of my 10+ years of ~dedicated apple loyalty~, the two instances where i needed genius service both happened with macbooks.
    Last edited by Blissey; 05-31-2023 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spacing

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blissey For This Useful Post:

♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (05-31-2023),kittyray (05-31-2023)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    96 times
    Time Online
    12d 12h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m
    I literally had to run out and buy new tongue rings because my expensive one, from anatometal broke. It was an internally threaded tongue ring. I didn't have any other tongue rings because I thought it would have been my long term tongue ring... but while I was eating a hot pocket, I bit down on the bar on accident, carelessly eating because my sugar dropped, and the top snapped off. I couldn't even unscrew the stem out because there was nothing to grab. So, hubby took me to get a cheap set from Spencer's. They last longer. I got my tongue pierced on February 1st this year. I didn't even crack my tooth or anything. But one opal titanium internally threaded tongue ring cost more than a 4 pack at Spencers.

Huge shoutout to (you need an account to see links) for my amazing Custom UB!

Huge shout out to (you need an account to see links)for my amazing Thirteen siggie graphic!

Rebel the Otter and her little friend, Jinxy the teddy bear, was drawn by (you need an account to see links)! Thank you so much for this perfect vision of my emo otter!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    so sunday morning upon opening my macbook air i found that the screen was broken and pretty much unusable. as in, the lcd layer cracked- only about a quarter of the screen is legible, the rest is a mess of bright vertical lines and rapid flickering.

had an apple store appointment today that i spent the prior days mentally preparing for. i wanted to be as friendly and understanding as possible so that maybe the genius assigned to me would cut me some slack and offer the repair at reduced or no cost.

i think the damage was caused by either a speck of something with a hardness greater than glass being pressed into the screen upon folding the macbook, or pressure from the weight of a single hardback book and my nintendo switch. either way i think that falls somewhere between "gross negligence" and "manufacturing error".

anyway, at the appointment, the genius was very friendly and we had very good rapport. we talked about how we liked the direction apple was taking with design language for the macbook airs, and the upcoming wwdc conference. however, he did not cut me any slack. $450 for the repair.

is it super entitled of me to think i deserve special treatment? are there ways i could have been even more careful with my macbook that could have prevented the incident? should i have just taken the macbook to another repair place to get it fixed for cheaper? am i kind of a dumbass for being this loyal to apple? the answer to all those questions is a resounding "yes".

but this is the petty edition board so i get to be petty

i am still holding out hope that when i pick the macbook up that they wave the repair fee in the name of surprise and delight. i can technically afford the repair, but i would prefer to not have to pay!

either way this is making me consider trading this one in to get a newer model that i can put apple care+ on it. of my 10+ years of ~dedicated apple loyalty~, the two instances where i needed genius service both happened with macbooks.
    Unfortunately “being nice” typically won’t get you anywhere with something like that. If you don’t have the extended apple care, you’re going to pay the regular price for repairs. And a screen repair like that isn’t cheap. Especially if the reason for repair is due to “negligence”, why would they waive the repair fee? And depending on how old the laptop is, you may not get much for it with a trade in. You can inquire with them about it when you pick it up.
    If it makes you feel any better, Microsoft isn’t forgiving either. I’ve had family with Xboxes die and issues with windows and they didn’t “do any favours” for them either. Sucks but it is what it is. Repairing shit costs money

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    any/all
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    19d 15h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    Unfortunately “being nice” typically won’t get you anywhere with something like that. If you don’t have the extended apple care, you’re going to pay the regular price for repairs. And a screen repair like that isn’t cheap. Especially if the reason for repair is due to “negligence”, why would they waive the repair fee? And depending on how old the laptop is, you may not get much for it with a trade in. You can inquire with them about it when you pick it up.
    If it makes you feel any better, Microsoft isn’t forgiving either. I’ve had family with Xboxes die and issues with windows and they didn’t “do any favours” for them either. Sucks but it is what it is. Repairing shit costs money
    yeah yeah i know all that
    my impression of being nice to get free things was based on several anecdotes posted online that have been corroborated by former employees. there are multiple reports online of people getting free replacements for things that were their own fault, with some mentioned (you need an account to see links).

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 15h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    House Flippers doing a shit job, not land scaping and selling the house next to mine for almost 400K. Oh, and the Aliexpress seller chat saying my message contained prohibited content. Dude, I asked what size the fans were on a 3D printer part, you'd think I put in the Tiananmen Square copy pasta in the chat or something. FFS China, calm down.