Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone else love reading, but struggle to complete a book?

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    15h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    haven't fully read a book in ages but im doing my best to slowly chip through watership down finally. I think what helps is having a reading thread somewhere where you kind of just livepost what you read- it helps keep you engaged with the book by making you parrot back what you just read (and what your thoughts on these things are) PLUS giving you an easy way to quickly look back on what happened in the book if you take a break.

Audiobooks just don't do it for me- its very hard for me to focus on audio without a visual attached to it and just doing something while listening doesn't cut it.

In all honesty it might also just help seeing if you can find some reading buddies to get invested with, or to look at your shelf and see if you *really* still want to read those books. I did a huge shelf cleanup recently where I got rid of 80% of my books that I wasn't gonna read even though i was interested in them when getting them. Life aint the same as when I was a teenager where using a book was the best way to not be bored in class.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    4d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Update I guess, lol. I still have not looked into audiobooks, still plan to. We have a long drive coming up for a trip so maybe I can start one. I did start another book and it's been put in my unfinished pile with the other 4, whoops.

@(you need an account to see links) I need to do a huge cleanout, like yesterday. I'm realizing my taste in books has change in some ways but not in others.I'll bet at least half of my books need to find new homes because I will never read them.

“Im a Potato,”

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 6h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    If I don't do audio and visual at the same time I can't comprehend what's happening. Maybe I should look into audiobook and real book at the same time.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    4d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I remember in grade school a teacher would record herself reading the class book if you missed a day and she would have you listen while you read along. As a kid I liked it, I've tried it as an adult and can't stick with it. I've realized I read faster than most audiobooks and I end up rushing or getting bored.

“Im a Potato,”

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i wouldn't read at all if it wasn't for audiobooks. makes me long commute and some of my mindless work at work so much better. i find for me the key is the mindset of not worrying if i miss stuff. audiobooks are more expensive than eye books so rereading them is a great way to get more bang for your book. when its a good series, rereading is a must for me! and that way, if i missed some scenes in the first read through, it'll be like bonus content in the reread lol