42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    52d 15h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m

2023 Reading Goals

Do you have any reading goals set for 2023? I always find myself setting goals in Jan, typically about 50-60 books a year. I start out strong, and will finish 10-15 books before the end of Feb, however, I will then fall off and not read for 8 months, then try to cram another 40 books in before the end of the year.

So, do you have any goals set for 2023? Have you already made a headway on the books you want to read?

Does anybody else use Goodreads and want to become friends? I like to see what other people read, and love reading reviews haha.

What type of books do you enjoy? Want to give me any recommendations?

If you want to give me a (you need an account to see links), feel free

Thank you Hellraid <3

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teakwood For This Useful Post:

Menine (01-21-2023),Vaebae (01-19-2023),Zenitsu (01-03-2023)

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,754 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    I had a generation one iPad that I used to obsessively use as a reading tablet, until my friend ran the battery down to zero. Apparently there's a glitch in old iOS where the device gets stuck in a permanent boot loop when it's plugged in to charge, so I can't recover it. My goal for 2023 is to get a nice, cozy reading machine and grab some ebooks!

I quietly observed an AMA hosted by Dr. Lucy Maddox on the subject of psychology, and I'd love to read the book she published last December. It's called (you need an account to see links), and it sounds like a compelling piece of literature!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (01-04-2023),Teakwood (01-03-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    52d 15h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I had a generation one iPad that I used to obsessively use as a reading tablet, until my friend ran the battery down to zero. Apparently there's a glitch in old iOS where the device gets stuck in a permanent boot loop when it's plugged in to charge, so I can't recover it. My goal for 2023 is to get a nice, cozy reading machine and grab some ebooks!

I quietly observed an AMA hosted by Dr. Lucy Maddox on the subject of psychology, and I'd love to read the book she published last December. It's called (you need an account to see links), and it sounds like a compelling piece of literature!
    I would 100% recommend using an iPad (or similar device), and getting the kindle app. I also use Libby which is connected to my local public library, so I can typically rent any books that I want. Which is how I read so many lol.

Thank you Hellraid <3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teakwood For This Useful Post:

Bat (01-03-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,160 times
    Time Online
    555d 10h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I don't have any specific goals except for maybe read more books than I buy this year, which is something I have not done since about 2009, and am only feeling 50/50 on because I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with purchasing books aspirationally or even if you just like the idea of having them. But I also just...have so many I've wanted to read, just not gotten around to them.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Teakwood (01-04-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    69d 4h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    I set a goal last year that I didn't accomplish, so this year I'm trying to go smaller. 30 minutes of reading a day & at least one book a month. It'll probably be a lot more if I can get the 30 minutes in every day. Currently, reading Atomic Habits by James Clear & I'm almost halfway through
    Free JD!

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Holy guacamole! 50-60 books a year?
    That's crazy! I'm not a big reader, I had a good year where I read 1 book a month and I thought that was a lot.
    But nowadays I'm not reading a lot, but I need to start reading about software testing, but I don't thin that counts.

Maybe I'll re-read Harry Potter books, they're amazing and very easy to read.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    Wow 50-60?!
    Even 10-15 is amazing.

I used to be an avid reader. A book every couple of weeks. Somewhere along the lines I lost that. I've been meaning to get back into it but I havent prioritized the time to do so. I havent made any official resolutions to read more but if I can get through a couple this year, I'll be happy!

What do you like to read?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 16h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m

I read almost everyday before bed. Sometimes I’ll read for 10mins before I get too tired and pass out. Sometimes I’ll read for well over an hour if I’m at a spot where it’s particularly exciting. I usually read fiction - kind of sci-fi, adventures, action books. My goal for this year is to finish the series I’m on now and mix in some nonfiction to sort of continue my education and better my life.. as well as keep my “for fun” reading.

Ive got a few resources to read more about topics that will help me pass more certifications for work. I’ve got a few books about parenting so I can better educate myself on how to best care for my (now 2 day old) daughter. I’ve also got a series I’m reading that I’m on book 2 of 9 I believe, if I need a little escape.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

13. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Demetri (01-04-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    52d 15h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I don't have any specific goals except for maybe read more books than I buy this year, which is something I have not done since about 2009, and am only feeling 50/50 on because I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with purchasing books aspirationally or even if you just like the idea of having them. But I also just...have so many I've wanted to read, just not gotten around to them.
    I'm just going to hide my book collection like there was nothing here HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Demetri View Post
    I set a goal last year that I didn't accomplish, so this year I'm trying to go smaller. 30 minutes of reading a day & at least one book a month. It'll probably be a lot more if I can get the 30 minutes in every day. Currently, reading Atomic Habits by James Clear & I'm almost halfway through
    I've always been an avid reader, since I was a kid. Being able to take time out of your day and just read is a huge accomplishment, so don't fret if you can't meet your goals. <3. Let me know how that book is, James Clear has a few other books out that I've read, and I feel like they always have the same "tone" to them? Like the writing style doesn't change much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    Holy guacamole! 50-60 books a year?
    That's crazy! I'm not a big reader, I had a good year where I read 1 book a month and I thought that was a lot.
    But nowadays I'm not reading a lot, but I need to start reading about software testing, but I don't thin that counts.

Maybe I'll re-read Harry Potter books, they're amazing and very easy to read.
    I always reread HP when I'm in a rut, and can't figure out which book to read next. Then I'm like, well, let's just finish the entire series again LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nattiee View Post
    Wow 50-60?!
    Even 10-15 is amazing.

I used to be an avid reader. A book every couple of weeks. Somewhere along the lines I lost that. I've been meaning to get back into it but I havent prioritized the time to do so. I havent made any official resolutions to read more but if I can get through a couple this year, I'll be happy!

What do you like to read?
    I honestly prefer fiction over non fiction. I like stories that are built up over a series of books, because I feel like that's when you get the most detail out of books. The Inheritance Trilogy, Lorien Legacies are two that come to mind. Absolutely beautifully written and always kept me going back for more.

I also love mystery and suspense. Agatha Christie will always have my heart when it comes to M&S.

Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post

I read almost everyday before bed. Sometimes I’ll read for 10mins before I get too tired and pass out. Sometimes I’ll read for well over an hour if I’m at a spot where it’s particularly exciting. I usually read fiction - kind of sci-fi, adventures, action books. My goal for this year is to finish the series I’m on now and mix in some nonfiction to sort of continue my education and better my life.. as well as keep my “for fun” reading.

Ive got a few resources to read more about topics that will help me pass more certifications for work. I’ve got a few books about parenting so I can better educate myself on how to best care for my (now 2 day old) daughter. I’ve also got a series I’m reading that I’m on book 2 of 9 I believe, if I need a little escape.
    First off Andrew, congrats on your newborn baby girl <3. It's so weird to see how we all grow up, and where we are at in life.

I have learned that I cannot read before bed anymore, as I will not be able to sleep. I just can't do it. I have to finish the book, or pass out, and neither one give me much sleep anyway lol.

Thank you Hellraid <3

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teakwood For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (01-04-2023),kittyray (01-04-2023),Nattiee (01-04-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    That's amazing!!! Royalty wow!
    I definitely need to start reading again, it's amazing and I think I prefer to read rather than be on tiktok, because I spend too much time there.
    I'll try to follow your steps.

I read a lot of Chuck Palahniuk, I really love dark novels and his style is very easy to read.