Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened with old items, and why did they drop in price?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    9d 20h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

What happened with old items, and why did they drop in price?

Recently after coming back to the site I take a look at my items to see what's worth what now, but I find that most of the r102+ items I have have just tanked in value while I was gone.

After doing a bit more of looking around, I see tons of retired items that were millions+, now being reduced to 100k.
    Unless they pulled another Spooky Slime, I am at a loss at what happened.

Is it that more items are in the economy now? Or it it people realized that the "junk" was actually "junk"

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    713 times
    Time Online
    355d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m
    I mean items honestly just change prices over the years due to supply and demand. It also depends on what item potentially tanked to see why it did so.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Mimikyu (06-11-2021),PeeweeFurman (06-11-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    9d 20h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    I mean items honestly just change prices over the years due to supply and demand. It also depends on what item potentially tanked to see why it did so.
    Okay, I guess I was being pretty vague with it.
    I was thinking of things like Limited Too promos / RIC items, while some have kept their value, something like the White Aisha Mirror, Purple Chia Mirror, Cuddly Plushies, have all dropped in value. Understandable that they could drop in price as its only a collector item, but it just seems really odd to me, that an abundance of these items have dropped so much in value.

But I guess the supply demand thing makes a lot of sense, I am able to find an abundance on SW. I just must have overlooked that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeweeFurman For This Useful Post:

Mimikyu (06-11-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    407 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    54m
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeweeFurman View Post
    I was thinking of things like Limited Too promos / RIC items, while some have kept their value, something like the White Aisha Mirror, Purple Chia Mirror, Cuddly Plushies, have all dropped in value. Understandable that they could drop in price as its only a collector item, but it just seems really odd to me, that an abundance of these items have dropped so much in value.

But I guess the supply demand thing makes a lot of sense, I am able to find an abundance on SW. I just must have overlooked that.
    another part of the equation there is the far smaller userbase these days.

Ruygi
    Endlessly indebted to (you need an account to see links) for this cute adoptable and Ruygi and mario on my avatar!!
    Forever thanking (you need an account to see links) for the tweaked background and custom userbar on my profile
    Perpetual gratitude to (you need an account to see links) for the custom "super mario 1 up" userbar on my avatar
    In ultimate awe of (you need an account to see links)animation and art skill on my current avatar background, the animated
    super mario custom userbar and tying it together with the one from (you need an account to see links)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mario2302 For This Useful Post:

Mimikyu (06-11-2021),PeeweeFurman (06-11-2021)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    713 times
    Time Online
    355d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeweeFurman View Post

Ah, I see what you mean. It's also somewhat happening with newer merch/code items as well. For example, with items you get from Neopets pins, blankets, and jewelry, they start off strong at around 20 mil or so, but over the months, they dwindle down to around ~5 mil.

I think there's just not must interest in the site which results in less players to buy things, so sellers just keep lowering the price in hope for a sell. And if it happens, it becomes the standard price in a sense for that item.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Dot (06-12-2021),Mimikyu (06-11-2021),PeeweeFurman (06-11-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    10d 7h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    To give another perspective...

The userbase is pretty small compared to past points in time. The site conversion accelerated player loss that happens on a normal year over year scale(heck, you could say the player loss was that of a few years). That large chunk of players tanked demand for those old or retired items. Without those extra players, there are even less possible shoppers on the market for that ye olde classic item. A good example is some smugglers cove items, some have decreased in value or even are simply failed trades despite even less in circulation. Current players simply don't want them.

The player loss is a bummer as more and more of those old items will stop circulating sooner or later. I've thought about changing my gallery to be more of a museum to items of times past.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morecoffeepls For This Useful Post:

Buizel (06-11-2021),Dot (06-12-2021),Mimikyu (06-11-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    9d 20h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by morecoffeepls View Post
    To give another perspective...

The userbase is pretty small compared to past points in time. The site conversion accelerated player loss that happens on a normal year over year scale(heck, you could say the player loss was that of a few years). That large chunk of players tanked demand for those old or retired items. Without those extra players, there are even less possible shoppers on the market for that ye olde classic item. A good example is some smugglers cove items, some have decreased in value or even are simply failed trades despite even less in circulation. Current players simply don't want them.

The player loss is a bummer as more and more of those old items will stop circulating sooner or later. I've thought about changing my gallery to be more of a museum to items of times past.
    The player base really dwindled that far down huh?
    Thats quite the shame.
    I appreciate the insight.

It makes a lot of sense that with the player base dropping so far down, that the items would drop in price as they always were HTS's. I just had no idea that the tank was so massive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeweeFurman For This Useful Post:

Mimikyu (06-11-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    26d 15h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    One big factor nobody is mentioning, sometimes theres an item that typically used to go for say 2-5m, sometimes people get impatient and just throw it into their shop for 999k because they are impatient, or just don't know the price, if its an r10x item there is a decent chance that either Jellyneo or another seller will notice before that item is sold, because r10x items or r180 items tend to have low liquidity (They take a while to sell). Once an item either is priced by Jellyneo or has multiple sellers around that price, it can be a death sentence for an items value for years. Many users will scream "artificial inflation" if an asking price doesn't closely match the Jellyneo price even if it was that price for years and only temporarily was a fraction of that for a few months. This doesn't just happen with items that become sub 1m either, there have been items that were stable at 10s of mil for a long time just to fall to to 2-5m because someone tried to quick sell it, and even when you try to quick sell these items sometimes it takes a long time because its a buyers market. I absolutely adore Jellyneo, but it undoubtedly makes some items far more unstable than they would be otherwise. It also makes some items plateau in value that otherwise would have naturally significantly increased in value overtime.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sarada For This Useful Post:

Buizel (06-12-2021),Dot (06-12-2021),Mimikyu (06-11-2021),PeeweeFurman (06-11-2021),Pringle (06-13-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    4d 5h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Certain site used to sell first 2000 items. They also had retired book packs with like x20 of each. Thats why those deflated

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    42d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    yeah wasn't there some generation going on for a while?