Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you picked up a new skill or hobby recently?

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by toucanparty View Post
    I've started to get into making terrariums! My gf had a few glass containers laying around so we put them to good use. The other weekend we make a moss bowl, which came out amazing! Now I spend 10min a day walking around and misting them all haha
    Whoa, that's really cool! I've always liked the look of terrariums, I'm just worried I'd knock it over accidentally or forget to mist it if it needs it!

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I�ve been doing a lot of cooking lately. Settled into the house and this working from home leaves me lots of time to look up recipes and give things a try that I hadn�t been able to before. I�ve surprised myself a bit with how good things are, even when winging it a bit.

Im still meaning to get back into running, but I really want to either get a bike or a rowing machine to mix that up a bit.

Another thing I have gotten into is day trading stocks. I joined a group that discusses picks and gives lots of advice every single day. It�s been interesting picking up the terminology and learning from their experience. I was up a pretty decent bit but I got greedy and stayed too long, now I�m in the red lol. So, lessons learned, but it�s a lot of fun for anybody who has some extra cash and wants to work on slowly growing it. I�d recommend it if you work at home and have time on your hands to keep an eye on the charts and such.
    I don't understand people that run for fun lol but it feels good to you then go for it! Always down for a good bike though. ^^

I don't understand the stock market like at all (my attempts on Neo has proven that lmao) but that's awesome that you're giving it a go!

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by krummris View Post
    I Just moved from my parents home to Live in a new City with my bf, and saw myself in that situation in our first month.
    I Just learned how to keep a house, some cooking, most desserts, how is hard to know what to buy for the month and in the last week got a job as PHP programmer, so, i'm learning PHP now.

Enviado de meu Redmi Note 5 usando o Tapatalk
    It looks like you're already getting a lot of stuff done and taking on new challenges! Tons of people take years after moving out of their parents' home to take on those skills. So good for you for jumping right into it!!

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ahsoka View Post
    I already knew how to cook, but I've been expanding to make more types of meals. Everything I made before had some kind of pasta or noodle in it so I couldn't bring down my carb intake.

but now that I've learned to properly sautee vegetables, I've been having a better time lately. Learning new food skills is always a really good one to do.
    Sauteeing vegetables certainly opens up a lot of recipe options! I still cook mostly with rice or pasta lol but I generally try to throw some veggies in there too. Cooking is definitely not my forte but it's always nice to make a pleasant meal that actually turns out good!

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nostalgiawave View Post
    I�ve completely regressed to being a preteen so I�m learning to skateboard
    One of my best friends just got back into skateboarding--and he hadn't touched a board since he was 15 or so! I never learned, but it always looks like a fun thing to do and maybe I'll try it for myself one day haha. But hey--it's never too late to try something new!

^^ Thanks to Menine for the icon & Gremlin for this userbar!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crow For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (08-15-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    14d 8h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    For me I mostly got into keeping plants for the first time. I have a beautiful Monstera I'm obsessed with keeping alive as well as some stuff in a garden.

I also just started needlefelting! Which has been really relaxing when I'm stuck at home recently.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orectolobidae For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-16-2020)

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Orectolobidae View Post
    For me I mostly got into keeping plants for the first time. I have a beautiful Monstera I'm obsessed with keeping alive as well as some stuff in a garden.

I also just started needlefelting! Which has been really relaxing when I'm stuck at home recently.
    I feel you on the plants! I've got an aloe plant that's flourishing which is a first for me as I've killed everything I've ever owned including cacti.

Needlefelting sounds neat though! I was taught to knit but never stuck with it. I used to like rug-hooking as a kid though. Are you learning from a book or videos or just teaching yourself?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    14d 8h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I feel you on the plants! I've got an aloe plant that's flourishing which is a first for me as I've killed everything I've ever owned including cacti.

Needlefelting sounds neat though! I was taught to knit but never stuck with it. I used to like rug-hooking as a kid though. Are you learning from a book or videos or just teaching yourself?

I’m so historically rough with plants I’m just glad these ones are holding up well so far.

As for needlefelting, my room mate is teaching me! She’s great with knitting and crochet and we have a ton of wool and yarn around so we’ve been sort of learning together. I’m still doing mostly chunky flowers and basic shapes but I want to make some of my ocs at some point.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orectolobidae For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-19-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 18h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I also grew up around a lot of languages. I spent a lot of time around Spanish-speaking people and took Spanish since I was three years old. I took one year of French in high school but didn't like it. I took some ASL courses and loved them. I started taking Korean the summer before college, then took it all throughout college and even studied abroad to Seoul, South Korea to really practice it. I still speak Korean but not fluently, just like casually conversationally. I've got tons of Spanish still in my noggin somewhere but for some reason when I try to speak it it comes out with Korean sentence structure so basically sounds like gibberish lol. I tried to take Mandarin in college but had to drop it because I was too overwhelmed with other studies at the time. Languages are super fun though! I'd love to learn Vietnamese and Thai but especially the former I expect to be very difficult.
    You're so lucky that sounds like a lot of fun, especially actually spending time in a place you're studying the language for I bet that was so amazing and helpful. I hear that jumbling languages together like that can happen often to people who speak several languages. I am literally no where near fluent in any language besides my native, which is really embarassing considering I've been into languages my whole life, but things come up I guess. I've heard that vietnamese is pretty difficult, but you hae a pretty good base of knowledge in other languages so maybe that'll help you out. Good luck with it all!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BoopnDoot For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-19-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    20h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    During the quarantine I learned about editing videos and learning to take better care of my plants.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atormentado For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-21-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    2d 19h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I am trying to learn to knit, i used to be able to do the basics when i was a kid, but i want to be able to do something a little more complex

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Agony For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-21-2020)

Pronouns
    lmao who cares
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    23d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by atormentado View Post
    During the quarantine I learned about editing videos and learning to take better care of my plants.
    Oh cool! I used to make animashes back in high school. I really loved doing that. Just don't have the time or mind for it anymore. Are you working with any particular program? I always used Windows Movie Maker or iMovie but tried to learn Sony Vegas Pro (before losing interest entirely and going to college lol).

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Agony View Post
    I am trying to learn to knit, i used to be able to do the basics when i was a kid, but i want to be able to do something a little more complex
    Nice! My aunt taught me to knit when I was a kid and I'd like to re-learn someday. I remember the basics too, I think, but it'd be really cool to be able to do something with it. Are you going to be making clothes, accessories, blankets?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    2d 19h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Nice! My aunt taught me to knit when I was a kid and I'd like to re-learn someday. I remember the basics too, I think, but it'd be really cool to be able to do something with it. Are you going to be making clothes, accessories, blankets?
    You know, i havnt really thought that far ahead, so far i have like a bunch of swatches (little squares) with different patterns and stuff on, because im trying to get them perfect, i may sew them together and make a wool blanket!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Agony For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-23-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    10h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've actually been thinking about starting climbing, it seems great for fitness, I just wonder if now is really the best time to be starting an indoor activity ?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to piperdod For This Useful Post:

Crow (08-23-2020)