Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TIL: Adam & Donna tried to tank Neo on the way out?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    34d 5h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I hated orgins when they came out, but a good friend in RL just LOVED them. She had four. x3

UC Xweetoks were the best things ever. Conversion killed them imo. But I can see their name as sabotage, its a mouthful.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lorina For This Useful Post:

ily (06-05-2016)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,162 times
    Time Online
    557d 10h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Quote Originally Posted by lorina View Post
    I hated orgins when they came out, but a good friend in RL just LOVED them. She had four. x3

UC Xweetoks were the best things ever. Conversion killed them imo. But I can see their name as sabotage, its a mouthful.
    I loved the old Xweetoks. I can see how the art feels a little bit messy(?), but it's such a shame they didn't get more colors before conversion. Like, could you imagine a UC Grey Xwee?
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    59/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    23d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Honestly, from all the shit I read written by Donna and Adam, they lived, breathed, and shit Neopets for the period of their life they were a huge part of it. Seems the same with a lot of the other staff members. They had tons of shit going on behind the scenes that we never found out (that same AMA talks a little about Fyora being a god damn alien if I remember right), they constantly thought up new background and ideas for it. IDK, as an artist I've lovingly put out ugly shit because it's fun. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the snot color, which is waaay more heinous than custard, and one of my all time favorite neopets colors for its nastiness and how ugly-cool it looks!

IMO Adam and Donna loved Neopets a lot and it was their baby. As a petty creator of bullshit myself I can understand them creating content that's basically a middle finger to the people who owned the site they made popular. I doubt they intended on sabotaging the site, only making something ugly to watch Viacom pass it off as the Next Big Thing.

Then again if I was gonna make custard an uglier color and more of a fuck-you to higher ups, it'd look more like jizz.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rhymes with Witch For This Useful Post:

Ariella (06-03-2016),j03 (06-12-2016),Raposa (06-03-2016),Saitama (06-03-2016),Sakuras (06-11-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 18h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Paopu View Post
    Speaking solely on 1999-2005 era with a little bit of Viacom era.
    I dunno, TNT (specifically Adam and Donna) always had this extremely dark and self depreciating humor (TNT Staff Smasher, Sacrificers, and Ski Lodge) and this was honestly charming to the site cause you could never "pick up" on it. (you need an account to see links) The amount of teasing something like that in the early 00s was astronomical and I commend them for it.

(...)

Though I do agree they bit off more they can chew, but thinking about WHAT they did within the first 6 years is a reason why it was such a big hit. All the merchandise, mechanics, event, stories, and other features they've released is pretty dang impressive. If some things were a sabotage, I don't think any kid was going to see it and I think it would've pleased at least one person unironically or brushed off. If you make something fun and do listen while taking a jab at the community light-hearted and all, I think we can accept that fact.
    This is a fantastic way of looking at it, thank you for sharing! The artist had an inside perspective, which is worth considering, but perhaps it was a bit of sour grapes too.

Quote Originally Posted by frantic View Post
    IMO Adam and Donna loved Neopets a lot and it was their baby. As a petty creator of bullshit myself I can understand them creating content that's basically a middle finger to the people who owned the site they made popular. I doubt they intended on sabotaging the site, only making something ugly to watch Viacom pass it off as the Next Big Thing.
    Exactly, like the quote above, their dark humor was one of the best parts of early Neo.
    ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

* Coming Soon!

(you need an account to see links)
    ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ariella For This Useful Post:

Binah (06-03-2016),Raposa (06-03-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    42d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    The funny thing is, Xwees and Ogrins look like f'ing beauts compared to the newest disaster Vandagyre

(Although I think if an owl-pet was done pre-conversion it would've been aces)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to oventoast For This Useful Post:

Raposa (06-03-2016)

Pronouns
    any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    97/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    19d 4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sableye View Post
    I remember reading that AMA. Read it from top to bottom at least three times, and took in everything they said. The way they talk to fans and to each other makes me so giddy. They feel like real, genuine people and I just love them so much. Not everything was perfect, and it was never hidden. Even as a kid I admired that about them. The way they devoted everything they had to what they did. It's inspiring, even if it did ultimately turn out the way it did.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Raposa; 06-03-2016 at 01:00 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raposa For This Useful Post:

Saitama (06-03-2016),Sakuras (06-11-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    1d 14h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Injustice View Post
    I always loved xweetoks. I thought they were the best neopets before conversion. I wanted all the weird colored ones like Striped, Brown, Fire, & faerie as a kid. I thought they were so amazing loll.
    I'm surprised they thought it was hideous. omg.
    I thought a lot of people liked the xwees. haha.
    Ogrins are just butt ugly so she was right about that.
    I like the Ogrins, some colors are nice.

Xwees are my favorites though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 2h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Oh wow... this is news to me haha. I didn't even know about the AMA. I remember when I was younger I would always go to Adam and Donna's UL.. I have no idea why.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bandit For This Useful Post:

Raposa (06-03-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    22d 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Interesting topic. I read that whole AMA.

I guess you just kinda have to read between the lines, because I doubt anyone that has true inside knowledge about what went down is going to be hanging around a cheating forum to comment.

I doesn't seem like they would outright try to sabotage Neopets on their way out, no. They were burnt out, frustrated, admitted both sides could've handled it better, but if making Ogrins and Custard brushes was a serious insidious attempt, it would've been a pretty weak attempt. Much more "hideous" things by those hindsight standards were created during their time that cannot be blamed on a middle finger exit.

It comes across as a passive aggressive joke. Given how pissed they were about being forced to lay off their employees over the FB game, they don't seem like the kind of petty people that would've passed on the consequences of their indignation or ambitions to the staff the remained when Viacom took over. I just don't see it.

As for the other questions did they pass on all the knowledge needed to run Neo as best as possible? Is this why the site continues to be a shaky mishmash of coding that is only patched, never truly fixed?, I think one poster said it best when they said Viacom/Nickelodeon only cares about spongebob. They market the shit out of that show. They don't know how to handle any other IP besides spongebob. D&A seemed to be all about content. They were dropouts who liked to be creative. I don't think they were geniuses in an artistic or programming sense, despite taking credit for Neopets being "cutting edge" at the time. They've basically admitted to having a spotty track record of decision-making, including hiring/management. The crap coding is probably the way it is because D&A's content-driven ideas outpaced their ability to elegantly implement the coding, and Viacom just didn't really give enough of a shit to keep up with it either.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sugar Rush For This Useful Post:

Ariella (06-03-2016),Binah (06-03-2016),direwolf (06-03-2016),kittyray (06-05-2016),Raposa (06-03-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    112/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    28d 17h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Lmao this is great. I don't think the Xweetoks turned out bad though...

It's so sad to remember that they're gone as well as half the original TNT... Also too bad Adam and Donna's new company didn't work out, some of those games were fun.
    (itsa me, funnybell)