DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    124d 23h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    A Lawyerbot Class Action avatar would be almost as good as the Party Time! userbar being unlockable by posting on the data breach thread last year, something that still cracks me the fuck up when I think of it

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Aero (01-09-2023)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 16h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    A Lawyerbot Class Action avatar would be almost as good as the Party Time! userbar being unlockable by posting on the data breach thread last year, something that still cracks me the fuck up when I think of it

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Abyss (01-09-2023),Aero (01-09-2023),Alister (01-09-2023),Autobot (01-09-2023),Cinnamoroll (01-20-2023),Ice (01-20-2023),Orbit (01-10-2023),RicoBandito (01-09-2023),Sakuras (01-11-2023),Slowpoke (01-09-2023),Teakwood (01-11-2023),Winona (01-10-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    i got $14 from a class action lawsuit once, I hope the poor soul filing it realizes that's probably about as much as everyone involved is gonna get.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    42d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthbass View Post
    i got $14 from a class action lawsuit once, I hope the poor soul filing it realizes that's probably about as much as everyone involved is gonna get.
    The firm filing it usually gets pretty decent lawyer fees. Not sure what the going rate is anymore for privacy class actions, especially smaller ones, but back in the day I think Yahoo had to pay $37.5m+ in fees to the lawyers (even though everyone got like, what $3 from that? some small amount unless you could show that your info was used in some way)

Chances are the firm filing it doesn't get anything though bc they don't win... these have gotten really tough lately

7. The Following User Says Thank You to oventoast For This Useful Post:

Dasvidaniya (02-21-2023)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 16h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    Couldn't this type of lawsuit not be filed without the permission or knowledge of all parties? Meaning, would all the effected need to collectively agree to this class action lawsuit before it's official like it is now?

I'm confused on why they didn't just take JS to court privately as the one party.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    15d 10h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    This was the first secret userbar I got bc I had come back to clraik and decided to actually be active this time when the breach happened. I was very excited lol
    🔗(you need an account to see links)

💖 meme inspo : Dita and Cat Purrson 💖
    orig. + more memes in (you need an account to see links)
    🌵 Cactus Ryu : Great White North🌵

10. The Following User Says Thank You to howdy For This Useful Post:

Sakuras (01-11-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    42d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Buizel View Post
    Couldn't this type of lawsuit not be filed without the permission or knowledge of all parties? Meaning, would all the effected need to collectively agree to this class action lawsuit before it's official like it is now?

I'm confused on why they didn't just take JS to court privately as the one party.
    Nope, all the people affected don't have to agree at this stage.

Class actions are a procedural mechanism that lawyers can use to group all of the claims together without identifying all of the parties involved (usually on the plaintiff side). What happen is a law firm will bring one lawsuit under a "representative" plaintiff who basically serves as a representative/figurehead for a "class" of people. The representative plaintiff will usually have similarities in common with the rest of the class, i.e., be representative of the class.

The lawsuit will define the class of people to be represented (the "class definition"). For example, for a harmful medical device case it would be everyone implanted with the device. The lawyers don't have to know or receive consent from everyone defined in that group of people until much later. They don't even need to know for sure who is in the class, only to have some type of methodology for detecting/identifying who is in the class.

The reason for this is that simply filing a class action lawsuit doesn't actually mean you have a class action yet. The lawyers will file a "proposed" class action lawsuit with this defined group of anonymous/non-consenting/unaware people under a "representative", and then the plaintiff lawyers will have to seek the court's approval to get it "certified" as a class action. The first step in a putative class action lawsuit is generally certification.

Once the class action lawsuit is certified, its no longer "theoretical" or "proposed", and it becomes official. Once it is certified, it carries on like a more "ordinary" lawsuit, i.e., goes to trials etc.

Usually sometime after the class action is certified, something called "notice" will be done, i.e., the law firm will try its best to contact everyone defined in the class and make them aware that they are subject to a class action lawsuit. Notice goes out and alerts everyone in the class. Generally this happens when a settlement is reached, because a settlement will sign the legal rights away of everyone in the class in exchange for a sum of money, so it's important to make sure everyone who doesn't want to be captured by the settlement has a chance to opt-out of it.

The rules might differ depending what state (or country) you are in, but I think that if you become aware of a class action where you are part of the class, you can opt-out any time before the opt-out period expires (generally it expires after a settlement has been reached and notice goes out detailing a specific "date" by which it is expired - the court has to approve the notice).

Why they didn't take JS to court privately as one party:

Taking JS privately to court as one party would be very time-consuming, the person would have to pay an individual lawyer and the lawsuit probably wouldn't be done on contingency. Class actions are usually done on contingency, and many of them are "lawyer-driven" (this one probably is), meaning that the lawyers essentially start them (as opposed to the representative plaintiff or the class). Because they are done on contingency, the lawyers are effectively working for free until a settlement is reached (and then they take a portion of the settlement as fees at the end of a class action).

So basically, it would be too expensive and not worth it for anyone involved to do it individually. By doing it as a class action, the lawyers are putting their bets on reaching a settlement that covers a large enough group of people for it to be profitable to them (i.e., $5 per person).

The best explanation of this phenomenon is in the context of price-fixing class actions (where a group of large corporations has been caught fixing the price of an item over a period of time--kind of like IRL Merchant Plus). When a bunch of Canadian companies were caught fixing the price of bread over 20 years, the judge explained it using this quote: "The realistic alternative to a class action is not 17m individual suits, but zero individual suits, as only a lunatic or a fanatic sues for $30."

Another really good thing about class actions is that filing a proposed class action effectively "freezes" the limitations period for the claims, for everyone. For many cases you only have a finite number of years to file your lawsuit (i.e., 2 years) before your claims are extinguished. Filing a class action freezes the clock for those claims for everyone that fits in the class definition, so their legal rights are protected until the end of the lawsuit.

In 2011, certain changes were made to the class actions regime in the US which made it more difficult to bring medical device/pharmaceutical industry cases as "class actions" - it no longer works to bring them and they generally don't get certified. The biggest downside is that now these have to be brought as "group claims" (kind of like what your post describes). This is really bad for plaintiff's lawyers because essentially once you file the first set of "group claims", if someone comes to you 2+ years later with the same injury/side effects/etc, their claim might be extinguished or "out of time" because it wasn't protected by a suspension of the limitations periods. There are a lot of other downsides in terms of efficiency, etc. as well, but this is probably the biggest problem with bringing a group claim vs a class action. For a case where you just don't personally know who has been affected by the damage, if you file it as a group claim, you run the risk of leaving a large chunk of people vulnerable to having their legal rights permanently lapsed. This is why you will frequently see TV advertising about pharma lawsuits - they are trying to locate as many people as possible before time runs out.
    Last edited by oventoast; 01-10-2023 at 02:49 PM.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to oventoast For This Useful Post:

Buizel (01-10-2023),Dasvidaniya (02-21-2023),floofie (01-11-2023),Ice (01-20-2023),kittyray (01-11-2023),Menine (01-21-2023),mixednuts (01-11-2023),Moon (01-11-2023),Sakuras (01-11-2023),Teakwood (01-11-2023),Winona (01-10-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    33d 19h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Verrrryy interested in how this is going to play out. I hope its a public trial lmao

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    146/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    42d 9h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I'll take my payout in NP that way it'll actually look like a lot lol

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Narkotiq For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (01-11-2023),Mangle (01-12-2023),Meercat (01-26-2023),Pringle (01-23-2023),Teakwood (01-11-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    19h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by oventoast View Post
    Nope, all the people affected don't have to agree at this stage.

Class actions are a procedural mechanism that lawyers can use to group all of the claims together without identifying all of the parties involved (usually on the plaintiff side). What happen is a law firm will bring one lawsuit under a "representative" plaintiff who basically serves as a representative/figurehead for a "class" of people. The representative plaintiff will usually have similarities in common with the rest of the class, i.e., be representative of the class.

The lawsuit will define the class of people to be represented (the "class definition"). For example, for a harmful medical device case it would be everyone implanted with the device. The lawyers don't have to know or receive consent from everyone defined in that group of people until much later. They don't even need to know for sure who is in the class, only to have some type of methodology for detecting/identifying who is in the class.

The reason for this is that simply filing a class action lawsuit doesn't actually mean you have a class action yet. The lawyers will file a "proposed" class action lawsuit with this defined group of anonymous/non-consenting/unaware people under a "representative", and then the plaintiff lawyers will have to seek the court's approval to get it "certified" as a class action. The first step in a putative class action lawsuit is generally certification.

Once the class action lawsuit is certified, its no longer "theoretical" or "proposed", and it becomes official. Once it is certified, it carries on like a more "ordinary" lawsuit, i.e., goes to trials etc.

Usually sometime after the class action is certified, something called "notice" will be done, i.e., the law firm will try its best to contact everyone defined in the class and make them aware that they are subject to a class action lawsuit. Notice goes out and alerts everyone in the class. Generally this happens when a settlement is reached, because a settlement will sign the legal rights away of everyone in the class in exchange for a sum of money, so it's important to make sure everyone who doesn't want to be captured by the settlement has a chance to opt-out of it.

The rules might differ depending what state (or country) you are in, but I think that if you become aware of a class action where you are part of the class, you can opt-out any time before the opt-out period expires (generally it expires after a settlement has been reached and notice goes out detailing a specific "date" by which it is expired - the court has to approve the notice).

Why they didn't take JS to court privately as one party:

Taking JS privately to court as one party would be very time-consuming, the person would have to pay an individual lawyer and the lawsuit probably wouldn't be done on contingency. Class actions are usually done on contingency, and many of them are "lawyer-driven" (this one probably is), meaning that the lawyers essentially start them (as opposed to the representative plaintiff or the class). Because they are done on contingency, the lawyers are effectively working for free until a settlement is reached (and then they take a portion of the settlement as fees at the end of a class action).

So basically, it would be too expensive and not worth it for anyone involved to do it individually. By doing it as a class action, the lawyers are putting their bets on reaching a settlement that covers a large enough group of people for it to be profitable to them (i.e., $5 per person).

The best explanation of this phenomenon is in the context of price-fixing class actions (where a group of large corporations has been caught fixing the price of an item over a period of time--kind of like IRL Merchant Plus). When a bunch of Canadian companies were caught fixing the price of bread over 20 years, the judge explained it using this quote: "The realistic alternative to a class action is not 17m individual suits, but zero individual suits, as only a lunatic or a fanatic sues for $30."

Another really good thing about class actions is that filing a proposed class action effectively "freezes" the limitations period for the claims, for everyone. For many cases you only have a finite number of years to file your lawsuit (i.e., 2 years) before your claims are extinguished. Filing a class action freezes the clock for those claims for everyone that fits in the class definition, so their legal rights are protected until the end of the lawsuit.

In 2011, certain changes were made to the class actions regime in the US which made it more difficult to bring medical device/pharmaceutical industry cases as "class actions" - it no longer works to bring them and they generally don't get certified. The biggest downside is that now these have to be brought as "group claims" (kind of like what your post describes). This is really bad for plaintiff's lawyers because essentially once you file the first set of "group claims", if someone comes to you 2+ years later with the same injury/side effects/etc, their claim might be extinguished or "out of time" because it wasn't protected by a suspension of the limitations periods. There are a lot of other downsides in terms of efficiency, etc. as well, but this is probably the biggest problem with bringing a group claim vs a class action. For a case where you just don't personally know who has been affected by the damage, if you file it as a group claim, you run the risk of leaving a large chunk of people vulnerable to having their legal rights permanently lapsed. This is why you will frequently see TV advertising about pharma lawsuits - they are trying to locate as many people as possible before time runs out.
    Read this in Rory Gilmore's voice and found it incredibly soothing (+educational), thx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to floofie For This Useful Post:

oventoast (01-11-2023)