DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    15d 10h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    If you're banned on 1 IP, don't change IP.
    What is y'all's VPN protocols?

I have surfeasy and I change country for every 'set' of accounts, each set having a region I always use. Given what you said in this post, is that pointless actually?

I just didn't want one IP for the more than allowed number of accounts, and I was hoping if one gets frozen I won't get mass frozen across all accounts. Do you think this will actually work or is this device-level tracking going to merk me? Sometimes I accidentally login to one account and forget to change region and just cross my fingers they don't have a long log, or that the vpn IPs are used by enough people that they can't justify freezing all accounts on the VPN IPs. I don't totally know how this stuff works though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    30d 10h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by mae17b View Post
    What is y'all's VPN protocols?

I have surfeasy and I change country for every 'set' of accounts, each set having a region I always use. Given what you said in this post, is that pointless actually?

I just didn't want one IP for the more than allowed number of accounts, and I was hoping if one gets frozen I won't get mass frozen across all accounts. Do you think this will actually work or is this device-level tracking going to merk me? Sometimes I accidentally login to one account and forget to change region and just cross my fingers they don't have a long log, or that the vpn IPs are used by enough people that they can't justify freezing all accounts on the VPN IPs. I don't totally know how this stuff works though.
    I don't have a good answer for this, but according to Stackpath's marketing material, it would seem that their "proprietary technology" is meant for this purpose, to catch bad "devices". No idea how it actually works or how it links your accounts together. I don't expect people will get banned unless you're doing something like ABing or SSing though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stevenl4 For This Useful Post:

howdy (08-24-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    15d 10h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I don't expect people will get banned unless you're doing something like ABing or SSing though.
    Ok great I haven't used any automated programs since abrosia cuz I'm on a mac and don't have enough space to partition/don't want to pay for parallels just for np lol.
    From what you're saying it seems like tnt won't be using stackpath's data to like mass freeze someone caught with an illegit pet or something so I think I'm safe. Thanks for the info!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    172 times
    Time Online
    30d 15h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenl4 View Post
    If you're IP banned on 1 IP, don't change IP to log into the same account that got IP banned.

(you need an account to see links) If they actually do what they say: they have digital fingerprinting. You could risk having multiple IPs getting flagged/banned, or worse, your account frozen (albeit very low probability unless you're ABing).

Patented device-level fingerprinting technology distinguishes individual devices—not just individual IP addresses—to take a better look at suspicious traffic and reduce false or missed positives from situations, like bad devices using different IPs or good devices using “bad” IPs.

It costs them anywhere between $2 - $10 per 1M requests. (you need an account to see links)
    This seems extremely cheap? What kind of traffic is the site even receiving these days? I really thought the stackpath was temporary until they figured out a more permanent solution?

thank you to hearts for my pumpkin, Lyrichord for my userbar, and Great White North for my snail ryu!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    12d 22h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Got blocked on main without scripts even running. What a mess.

For people panicking though, there are so many legitimate users being blocked from this implementation that I would not worry. I think you'll see a mass-unblock as they tweak the system because it's clearly a disaster. With the sheer number of users blocked I doubt they will individually go through each account's history to verify actions.

Edit: Found this on Reddit. Blocks are not permanent, just TNT being TNT and implementing a disfunctional security system lol

UPDATE: Rico Answer regarding the block

Thank you for writing in. We will look into this! We appreciate if you could provide us with the Reference ID and please know that we are working on updating our security so you might experience some wackiness at this time. We're adjusting as needed but any "block" you may see is not permanent. Thank you!

Rico S.
    Last edited by Invent; 08-24-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    30d 10h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by chii3d View Post
    This seems extremely cheap? What kind of traffic is the site even receiving these days? I really thought the stackpath was temporary until they figured out a more permanent solution?
    It's super cheap, Neopets gets around 5M visits per month, with an average of 50 page visits per user, so 250M requests, costing them anywhere between $500-$2500 + base cost of Stackpath.

I'm pretty certain the WAF is a permenant solution. What was temporary was the configuration of the WAF, and whether or not they stay with Stackpath or move to bigger provider like Cloudflare or AWS.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    172 times
    Time Online
    30d 15h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by Invent View Post
    Got blocked on main without scripts even running. What a mess.

For people panicking though, there are so many legitimate users being blocked from this implementation that I would not worry. I think you'll see a mass-unblock as they tweak the system because it's clearly a disaster. With the sheer number of users blocked I doubt they will individually go through each account's history to verify actions.

Edit: Found this on Reddit. Blocks are not permanent, just TNT being TNT and implementing a disfunctional security system lol

UPDATE: Rico Answer regarding the block

Thank you for writing in. We will look into this! We appreciate if you could provide us with the Reference ID and please know that we are working on updating our security so you might experience some wackiness at this time. We're adjusting as needed but any "block" you may see is not permanent. Thank you!

Rico S.
    Typical TNT. Test shit they know is going to go “wacky” and not let anyone know beforehand. Let people panic and get blocked out of their accounts. I feel like the incompetence just rises to new levels to surprise me even after the bar is so low.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenl4 View Post
    It's super cheap, Neopets gets around 5M visits per month, with an average of 50 page visits per user, so 250M requests, costing them anywhere between $500-$2500 + base cost of Stackpath.

I'm pretty certain the WAF is a permenant solution. What was temporary was the configuration of the WAF, and whether or not they stay with Stackpath or move to bigger provider like Cloudflare or AWS.
    Omg, this is terrible fucking news. I feel stupid. All this time I have been waiting for this temporary fix to go away. It’s not going away ugh! That really is so cheap to outsource something that is now actively screwing over the play base in this way.

thank you to hearts for my pumpkin, Lyrichord for my userbar, and Great White North for my snail ryu!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    94d 17h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Here is a little update and maybe some of you can help me, and in the process help others. I too, was blocked. I wrote about it earlier today here in the topic. I took my Ipad to a coffee shop and logged into a side account. Worked fine. Than I said, what have I got to loose and logged into my main account. Worked perfectly. Just got home. Still have the blocked message. Someone said I should clear out my browser cache. I will wait to hear from some of you who are computer savvy to advise me.
    Thanks in advance. Keeping fingers crossed, and some toes toooooo

Cashew
    Hatched: 11-14-2020

Thank you (you need an account to see links) for the adoptables!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peanutface For This Useful Post:

chii3d (08-24-2022),DarkSkies (08-24-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    172 times
    Time Online
    30d 15h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutface View Post
    Here is a little update and maybe some of you can help me, and in the process help others. I too, was blocked. I wrote about it earlier today here in the topic. I took my Ipad to a coffee shop and logged into a side account. Worked fine. Than I said, what have I got to loose and logged into my main account. Worked perfectly. Just got home. Still have the blocked message. Someone said I should clear out my browser cache. I will wait to hear from some of you who are computer savvy to advise me.
    Thanks in advance. Keeping fingers crossed, and some toes toooooo
    You can clear your cache, some have had success and then others have not. It won’t hurt to try. At this point I would say submit a ticket with the reference ID since it’s what Rico S. said to do.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    56 times
    Time Online
    13d 5h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Wow, if I can't use bots I don't know if I even want to play anymore. I'm so used to having my dailies automated

~ lyla the bard ~
    in all things, be kind

^-- me looking at the Neo Trades boards on clraik