Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I fear this new site layout may make me quit.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 17h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Corliss View Post
    I'm sure they'll keep both! Lots of sites have a desktop and mobile version...
    They've explicitly stated once the new layout is finished, the old layout goes in the trash.

So our best option is to make our feedback loud and clear and constructive, and not just be dicks about it, on the official avenues on site.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Black Dog (06-24-2020),bootiesrus (06-24-2020),Double.Trouble (06-24-2020),Erik. (06-25-2020),Flordibel (06-24-2020),♥ Hydrapple ♥ (06-26-2020),j03 (06-24-2020),Unown (06-25-2020),valora (06-25-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    54d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettySarcastic View Post
    They've explicitly stated once the new layout is finished, the old layout goes in the trash.

So our best option is to make our feedback loud and clear and constructive, and not just be dicks about it, on the official avenues on site.
    Is this documented somewhere and I've just missed it? Converting flash to html5 doesn't have to mean totally deleting a layout intended for the web. I'm in utter disbelief if they'd really abandon the old layout, but I guess it could be a huge pain to keep up.

If they're all focused on mobile then maybe this means faster development and improvement of features on mobile... But yeah, a huge reason I played neopets was to make petpages and all other kinds of html/css. That's what led to my becoming a software engineer, and I think the main drive for a lot of people. They're going to lose the nostalgia factor if all they're going to give people is a super basic version of a game they once loved that now looks nothing like it. I'm still in disbelief, but I hope it works out... I really won't have much reason to ever play if the mobile app stays as it currently is.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not contradicting the idea that giving feedback would be helpful. This is just the first I'm hearing of the idea that there would be no desktop layout at all, of any kind, once the mobile one is done.
    Last edited by Corliss; 06-24-2020 at 11:24 PM.

*~a ghost in the sunlight~*

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Quote Originally Posted by Corliss View Post
    Is this documented somewhere and I've just missed it?
    Gutterfoot (TNT staff) addressed it in (you need an account to see links)

They haven't confirmed whether petpages and userlookup coding will stick around or not, but many, MANY people on the Mobile-Friendly Beta Boards have indicated a preference for them staying.
    Last edited by Flordibel; 06-24-2020 at 11:35 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    54d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    Gutterfoot (TNT staff) addressed it in (you need an account to see links)

They haven't confirmed whether petpages and userlookup coding will stick around or not, but many, MANY people on the Mobile-Friendly Beta Boards have indicated a preference for them staying.
    Oh, I see! Thanks, that's very interesting!

I don't interpret that to mean there will only be a mobile version, though, but that the desktop version we know will cease to exist.

These changes will also apply to the desktop experience, not just mobile phones and tablets, with a fluid layout that changes based on the device.
    Sorry if I'm repeating a comment already made, but this suggests they're implementing what's often called a responsive design, in that it will change with screen size. I mean, this does mean there's a risk that the new design will look bad on desktop, but it probably is *not* the case that even on desktop, you'll have to deal with a really small looking phone layout, which is what I thought was really ridiculous.

*~a ghost in the sunlight~*

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Yeah, I believe they used "mobile-friendly" in place of "responsive" because most people don't know what responsive design is.

By "old layout" I believe PS meant that the aesthetics of the site will permanently change to the Playskool look they have now. Of course there'll be differences based on whether you're accessing it on a phone or desktop - I'd die if desktop only showed me one pet at a time in Quick Ref like mobile does!
    Last edited by Flordibel; 06-25-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    16h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    A lot of sites are mobile and desktop at the same time, they just hide the difference from you while your looking at it from opposite side. Still it lacks the personality that the old sites has. I don't like that the icons are how they are replacing the top header menu. Just feels off completely. Like there was an attempt by someone but they have had no formal training in design.

There is just so much that they are going to have to update that any hope there is for actually meeting the EOL for flash AND new website at the same time seems naive at best. Unless they are planning on retiring a huge portion of the site. In which case... shit.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    13d 23h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Yeah, I believe they used "mobile-friendly" in place of "responsive" because most people don't know what responsive design is.

By "old layout" I believe PS meant that the aesthetics of the site will permanently change to the Playskool look they have now. Of course there'll be differences based on whether you're accessing it on a phone or desktop - I'd die if desktop only showed me one pet at a time in Quick Ref like mobile does!
    Except they're strictly focusing on the mobile part of the site. The beta does not scale well AT ALL. It's fucking hideous on desktop, which is my issue, because I don't ever play on mobile.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Junimelo For This Useful Post:

Double.Trouble (06-25-2020)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Quote Originally Posted by ainsle View Post
    Except they're strictly focusing on the mobile part of the site. The beta does not scale well AT ALL. It's fucking hideous on desktop, which is my issue, because I don't ever play on mobile.
    They're taking feedback on the mobile-friendly beta boards. Let them know how you play so that they can know what's important to their users!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (06-25-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (06-25-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 17h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 13m
    They're taking feedback on the mobile-friendly beta boards. Let them know how you play so that they can know what's important to their users!
    Yeah, this is good advice and a thing even I need to do, I suppooooooose.

All companies are mobile this, mobile that, but there are a LOT of people who still use the computer... with a keyboard... and a mouse... and a monitor (or three) at home.

I hate Neopets on mobile, whether it's on the original layout or the Playskool layout (which is the official name of this garbage until it stops looking like it was built for the mind of an 8-year-old to understand how to navigate). I spend 99.999% of my activity on site from a computer.

(Also why is the ease of "feeding your pet" like, a selling point of the new layout? Has TNT not been neolodging their pets since 2000?)

Thanks for the reminder to follow my own and your advice and state these concerns somewhere that TNT will actually (maybe) listen. ♥

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Double.Trouble (06-25-2020),Flordibel (06-29-2020),kittyray (06-25-2020),Sakuras (06-26-2020),Spohia (06-25-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    4h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'm not sure either! I took a long hiatus and I don't know because of the beta testing. It's all mobile and it looks, gross.
    2013-2020 and still going on clraik!