Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being an adult is unsettling... (College tips?)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Just try not to stress too much in your first semester. College is a huge adjustment. You no longer have teachers holding your hand and forcing you to study/do your homework. Hell nobody is even checking if you go to class anymore. It's all on you to get things done. A lot of people tend to struggle a bit in their first semester, their grades aren't always what they want, and that's okay. You just need to adjust to the change and once you're past that things should be fine.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Advice-wise, you're "just" moving outside your comfort zone. It is just like the first/last day of a job, moving away from a place you call home, or rear-ending someone in your dad's car and anticipating the inevitable conversation. All of these are uncomfortable and induce anxiety in people. Just look past the actual event itself. They are "just" transitions similar to what you have faced before (applying/getting accepted to college). Even in the time leading up to such events, try to think past them. They likely not going to cause any permanent damage/change in your life. All the what-ifs will be answered and worrying won't help........

People as well as most creatures on this planet seek some form of homeostasis and don't like change. Don't worry about what's coming and not only accept it, but embrace it by jumping in head first. That's what I'd recommend. I changed how I thought about life in college to this mentality and things have been so much better for me since. I'm doing things I would be impossible for me to do and I feel more confident in handling the challenges of the future including the ones I don't know of.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    10d 21h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links)

Thank all of you guys S O much for all of the advice, it means so much to me and I will definitely take it all to heart, both physical things to bring and all of your advice. I'm super lucky to be going to a small school within a bigger university and be working towards a major in a field that I really love and have already been working on for my past two years at high school, so having that kind of semi-stability in knowing what I want is super nice going into a new environment. I'm definitely nervous about the amount of coursework (18 units o h m y g o d) but I'm excited for the new experiences and freedom!!

@(you need an account to see links) I'm living suite-style in a big dorm complex. So we have our own bathroom and microwave/minifridge but the rest is pretty dorm-y.
    (you need an account to see links)
    SOPHIE'S CLEARANCE SALE! From 8/10 - 8/17 All Accounts + Creative Services 30 TO 50 PERCENT OFF!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    What are you taking as your degree or diploma?

And what courses do you have coming up in your first semester?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    10d 21h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I'm majoring as a BFA in Stage Management, a subset of Theatre.

Classes are Intro to Theatrical Production, Art of Theatrical Design, Text Studies for Production, Understanding Race and Sex Historically, GESM in Beauty Standards, and Practicum in Television Production!
    SOPHIE'S CLEARANCE SALE! From 8/10 - 8/17 All Accounts + Creative Services 30 TO 50 PERCENT OFF!

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Sounds awesome hopefully you make it big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    20d 16h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    A toolbox (hammer, nails, screwdriver, ruler, etc.) will be really helpful!! I used mine more than I thought last year.

Also, "collegesupplylist" is a great site. If you google "collegesupplylist for girls" it has every possible thing you could need and more! I printed this out last year and it really helped me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    10d 21h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    @(you need an account to see links) aw thank you i hope so too!! obviously in my acceptance speech I will give all of the credit for my success to cK

@(you need an account to see links) Ohh those are totally things I didn't even think of having, I'll definitely invest in that! And YES I live off of checklists.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sophie For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (08-17-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    You're also going to need to purchase a fully-sharpened medieval-style blade, for fending off the horny perverted men depending on the university you're going to.

...And maybe some medieval-style chain mail and a chastity belt.