53/0
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    116d 10h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    (you need an account to see links)

Three former Minneapolis police officers will be criminally charged Wednesday in connection with the death of George Floyd in their custody, Sen. Amy Klobuchar said.

In addition, Derek Chauvin, a fourth former officer who had already been charged with third-degree murder in the case, will now be charged with second-degree murder, the Minnesota Democrat wrote in a post on Twitter.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to My name is Yoshikage Kira For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (06-03-2020),Cherubi (06-03-2020),gjniev (06-03-2020),motherfucker (06-03-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    27d 7h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    @(you need an account to see links) we can all have our feelings about the looting but the fact of the matter is that police forces around the country have been terrorizing communities for a very long time (as evidenced in the past week in response to peaceful protests, examples abound) and we have had enough.

also, here ya go:

Last edited by gjniev; 06-03-2020 at 02:04 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gjniev For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (06-03-2020),Black Dog (06-03-2020),Cookie Tray (06-03-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-03-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 21h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by usagi-sama View Post
    Exactly, I am all about there being justice for George Floyd but the people that are hurting others and are taking this as an opportunity to ravage people's businesses are horrid. This is domestic terrorism and it needs to be treated as such.
    I just hope that you understand -- most of the (usually white) people who are performing these destructive and criminal actions are instigators who are NOT part of the movement to fight this systemic corruption.

Maki's response in particular highlights a number of instances of proof of people specifically looking to stir up trouble and point blame at the BLM protestors.

In the U.S., the first amendment allows all citizens the right to assemble, the right of free speech, and the right to demand they hear our grievances about the problems in the system.

Trump does not have the right to dispatch the military to silence the voices of those who have the bravery to protest on behalf of all the lives that have been lost, lives that have been damaged, and lives that will continue to be destroyed if we allow the broken wheel to keep grinding them into the dirt.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (06-03-2020),Autobot (06-03-2020),Cookie Tray (06-03-2020),Goddammit (06-07-2020),Mama Bear (06-03-2020),motherfucker (06-03-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-03-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    @(you need an account to see links) Where do we draw the line between a protestor and a shit-stirrer? Being "white" doesn't classify someone in any category. Mate, I have nothing against anyone wanting to fix the system but when I am afraid to have my family out at night it hits a nerve. I am a minority in this country and I am by no means blind to the racism problem.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 21h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    @(you need an account to see links) Where do we draw the line between a protestor and a shit-stirrer? Being "white" doesn't classify someone in any category. Mate, I have nothing against anyone wanting to fix the system but when I am afraid to have my family out at night it hits a nerve. I am a minority in this country and I am by no means blind to the racism problem.
    Nah -- I was speaking specifically in reference to Maki's post, which cites actual examples of people caught inciting rioting, looting, etc. just to take advantage of the crowding and chaos that the protests cause in the environment.

I wasn't suggesting all people of any color or minority or minority are one thing or another, just that specifically a number of white people have been caught in this kind of disgusting behavior. I have seen videos where entitled white kids are looting a store and a black girl with a megaphone is begging them to stop -- because ultimately this looting and crap has nothing to do with the protesting and will get BLAMED ON the BLM Protesters! It's just garbage people taking advantage.

Here's an example from my home.

Otherwise peaceful protest in the capital.

Some entitled little teenage white boys decide to be destructive and for no other reason than their own impulse, tear down a 1800's era drinking fountain that was actually still functioning. This had nothing to do with anything, its destruction served no purpose, no one benefitted from it and no one who actually cared about George Floyd, racism in America, Texas, or anywhere had anything to do with it.

Just some dick kids, being dicks.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

gjniev (06-03-2020),usagi-sama (06-03-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    @(you need an account to see links) It is sad that some people take advantage to cause harm. It is very upsetting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to usagi-sama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    306 times
    Time Online
    134d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 11m
    At this point, other than voting in the polls, it looks like there may not be any other way to get the government's and the world's attention.
    It's clear to see a lot of the time, the looting is provoked. (From what my plebe brain sees on social media). Peaceful and quite moving protests have turned violent with instigation from police or military. It's very clear that trump (not capitalized because I'm petty and he doesn't deserve it) doesn't care about the rights of American citizens in general.

Your fear of having your family out at night (regardless of being a person of colour of caucasian) is how some POC feel walking down the street every day. It's going to have to be a small sacrifice some make until there is some justice and peace brought back to the USA.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to motherfucker For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (06-03-2020),Autobot (06-03-2020),Black Dog (06-03-2020),gjniev (06-03-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-03-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 21h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    A couple of very eloquent and positive messages to share today.

Senator Kamala Harris ~

Former President Jimmy Carter ~

Um, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream ~

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

Autobot (06-03-2020),Cherubi (06-03-2020),Houndoom (06-03-2020),motherfucker (06-03-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-03-2020)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Exactly, I am all about there being justice for George Floyd but the people that are hurting others and are taking this as an opportunity to ravage people's businesses are horrid. This is domestic terrorism and it needs to be treated as such.
    @(you need an account to see links) No one has the right to steal from someone just because they are so well off that it won't hurt their retirement. Romanticizing criminal acts is insanity and generalizing the people that are officers as bad is prejudice. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but toxicity as this is not going to fix the system.
    The police are the only ones hurting. The police are domestic terrorists.
    Businesses have insurance. Things can be replaced. People cannot. I have literally been robbed at my workplace which was a small business (not during these protests just normal every day shit) and my personal affects along with the money in registers and items were stolen. Guess what? Everything was replaced. Brand spankin' new.

Nobody is romanticizing criminal acts, YOU are misunderstanding the history and meaning behind such acts. We don't want the system "fixed," we want it removed.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cookie Tray For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (06-03-2020),Autobot (06-03-2020),Black Dog (06-03-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (06-03-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by gjniev View Post
    Along with Assemblywoman Diana Richardson (they both represent overlapping districts of Crown Heights, Prospect-Lefferts Gardens, and some of Flatbush) that Friday:

Tonight should be rather interesting with curfew at 11pm. Again, I have no faith in the NYPD to keep the peace.

Also, I've been thinking a lot about the Stonewall uprising today as we move into June. I don't think anything occurring over these past days will have been in vain.

Stay safe to anyone protesting today.
    That man came to the rally prepared to go up against the Police. The man clearly has milk on his face,
    he showed up to the riot with milk (a basic substance to counteract tear gas and pepper spray). This is not a peaceful protest when you show up to "protest" prepared to fight with the cops.
    Protest, don't riot. These idiots are destroying the economy at a time when we are struggling to keep the economy going amidst the COVID-19 epidemic. These riots will have a ripple effect
    for years to come. 1 out of 5 Americans are unemployed currently, and these riots are going to hurt that number not improve it. If we go into an economic depression, you can thank these
    assholes. Protest and Riot is completely different, when you take away everything from someone for no reason you are just as bad as the cop who killed George because you intended to harm.
    An eye for an eye makes the world go blind.