DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    The textbooks I bought are still with me, about $3000-$3500 worth. Buybacks were a waste of time, for that $3000 of texts I could get maybe $25 each...maybe. My profs would often have several books listed of previous versions because they know that maybe someone's sibling or friend has already done the class but with an older book so they revise page numbers to look up. I tried to find my texts online but it was often those preview sections so the entire book was not available. There were also those texts that were recommended but not required so I would look and see if I wanted to buy it/if I thought it would help me in future classes. There is no way I could have done the classes without textbooks though so it is one of those necessary evils.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 1h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    In my first year of university i ended up buying every textbook that was mandatory, like a good first year student does. (Luckily tuition fee is very low in Belgium). Now i just end up looking for the PDFs online. Most the the books i need can be found.

But then you have this professor who asks you to buy his dutch book and proof that you owe it with a receipt (and that it is truly yours), otherwise you're not allowed to do his exam. 😤

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    35d 6h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    try bigwords.com

cuts back on a huge chunk of the prices.

Pronouns
    she/elle/o/ол
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    27d 8h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    If you absolutely can't find the book online in some shape or form (aka shitty-ass "special editions"), my best trick is to get together a (larger is better) group of people who are all taking the same class, and everyone chips in to buy the textbook. Then you saw the spine off and run it through a scanner, so everyone in the group can have a PDF/print-out version of the book.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    115/0
    Mentioned
    68 times
    Time Online
    58d 5h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aska View Post
    A lot of professors let you buy earlier editions of the books. You can always talk to them and see if they'll let you.
    "let"? They not only make you buy those overpriced books, it has to a specific edition?
    Geez, here where I live we only have to buy them until high school (and they're cheap, the total is like $200-$300/year). On college they just suggest reading this or that book. And honestly, we have so much information on the class's powerpoints we don't even need any books.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    76 times
    Time Online
    26d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    are there any websites you guys recommend for cheap/have pdfs?

and is it better to rent or buy?