2/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5d 15h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

Shell account got frozen immediately

Bought a shell account from here a few days ago that was aged and went to log in and it did the whole logging in thing except it didnt log in. No pop ups/no messages.. nothing.
    So I log into my main and search the username and its frozen.
    Very confused as iv'e done little to nothing on this account but log in/look through SBD and adopt pets from the pound to zap.

Kind of worried about my other accounts now as I'm not sure what triggered it to be frozen???
    Have not transferred anything between accounts at all. It was just an aged shell meant to be a side account so its not a huge deal just..yikes.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    149 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Did you sign in from a different IP than your main?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5d 15h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuras View Post
    Did you sign in from a different IP than your main?
    Yeah I did. I'm just paranoid now and I don't know why. I guess just because no red flags should have been raised on the shell.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    117/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    93d 19h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Maybe the IP you signed in from was flagged?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5d 15h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxus View Post
    Maybe the IP you signed in from was flagged?
    That might be what happened then..thats unfortunate :/ RIP my Lab ray map.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 21h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Too many variables for anyone to make much of a guess.

- What method of anonymity did you use logging in to the shell account? Proxy, VPN?
    ---- If it was a VPN, you could easily have triggered something if, for example, you logged in on a VPN from London and the seller had previously only logged into that shell from California.
    ---- Further to this point, there are many IP's for well-known VPN providers that are flagged as known bad, and it is for this reason among others I caution against using VPNs in favor of private proxies.

- You said you were adopting pets from the pound, if you adopted anything particularly nice, it's always possible someone dreamed up something to report you for and reported you. For example, if the shell had, for example, a real word name or real life name and had previously been inactive, it's possible stalker types might report the username "hope" suddenly adopting pets when they had searched for their name, Hope, and found it was occupied by a male user who was last seen long long ago, but suddenly yesterday it was active again and a female user.

Anyway, if you have not logged into this shell account from the same IP as your other accounts, there's no reason to fear for those accounts' safety. Perhaps contact the seller of this shell account to gain a little more info as to its origin, or previous login location, that might give you more of an idea of what could have happened.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

bootiesrus (08-17-2020),Corliss (08-17-2020),♥ Dita ♥ (08-17-2020),kadoatie (08-18-2020),Ked (08-17-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (08-18-2020),Pinecone (08-17-2020),potatopie (08-17-2020),Sakuras (08-17-2020),Zane (08-17-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    13h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettySarcastic View Post
    Too many variables for anyone to make much of a guess.

- What method of anonymity did you use logging in to the shell account? Proxy, VPN?
    ---- If it was a VPN, you could easily have triggered something if, for example, you logged in on a VPN from London and the seller had previously only logged into that shell from California.
    ---- Further to this point, there are many IP's for well-known VPN providers that are flagged as known bad, and it is for this reason among others I caution against using VPNs in favor of private proxies.

- You said you were adopting pets from the pound, if you adopted anything particularly nice, it's always possible someone dreamed up something to report you for and reported you. For example, if the shell had, for example, a real word name or real life name and had previously been inactive, it's possible stalker types might report the username "hope" suddenly adopting pets when they had searched for their name, Hope, and found it was occupied by a male user who was last seen long long ago, but suddenly yesterday it was active again and a female user.

Anyway, if you have not logged into this shell account from the same IP as your other accounts, there's no reason to fear for those accounts' safety. Perhaps contact the seller of this shell account to gain a little more info as to its origin, or previous login location, that might give you more of an idea of what could have happened.
    Do you have any more information on VPN IPs that have been flagged? I use a VPN for my main, which I do nothing shady on. But could it still be frozen from being linked to a flagged VPN?

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,769 times
    Time Online
    644d 1h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 41m
    Quote Originally Posted by toucanparty View Post
    Do you have any more information on VPN IPs that have been flagged? I use a VPN for my main, which I do nothing shady on. But could it still be frozen from being linked to a flagged VPN?
    Using a communal proxy or VPN is very dangerous. In the eyes of the Neopets team, any misconduct from other players who happen to be sharing your IP makes you just as guilty as they are. Unless you're using a dedicated IP, then you're putting yourself at risk of being targeted.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

bank_man (08-17-2020),helen (08-18-2020),motherfucker (08-18-2020),My name is Yoshikage Kira (08-18-2020),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (08-17-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    18d 22h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Seconding what other users said. If you're immediately iced, it's extremely likely that you logged in from an IP that was previously flagged. They insta-ice accounts upon login when that's the case.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    134d 11h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Using a communal proxy or VPN is very dangerous. In the eyes of the Neopets team, any misconduct from other players who happen to be sharing your IP makes you just as guilty as they are. Unless you're using a dedicated IP, then you're putting yourself at risk of being targeted.
    I actually never knew this but it makes total sense. What are some good sites that offer dedicated IP? Thank you.