21/0
    Mentioned
    957 times
    Time Online
    117d 1h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    Okay you make some amazing points and now I feel like an ass for my comments lol
    it's okay everyone has different contexts from which they consume and parse media! as an asian american myself of course representation is a lot more important to me, and genre wise it's fantasy at the end of the day, not even like a true-blue historical korean or chinese drama type period piece so I think it'd be a lot more off putting if they forced the actors to have some kind of accent anyway xD
    ❤ Cream 2.0s by sugarbee, Houndoom, Alister; sales ub by Aero ❤

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Misha (03-23-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    it's okay everyone has different contexts from which they consume and parse media! as an asian american myself of course representation is a lot more important to me, and genre wise it's fantasy at the end of the day, not even like a true-blue historical korean or chinese drama type period piece so I think it'd be a lot more off putting if they forced the actors to have some kind of accent anyway xD
    That's a very good point! I personally was just off-put that every actor was Asian with a very distinct American accent lol. I will still say that I'm a little annoyed that the fire nation was so friendly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Ice (03-23-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    957 times
    Time Online
    117d 1h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    That's a very good point! I personally was just off-put that every actor was Asian with a very distinct American accent lol. I will still say that I'm a little annoyed that the fire nation was so friendly
    haha well most of the main cast is either American/Canadian nationality so yeah not much of an accent to be found 😂 I had no idea that Suki's actress is Chinese/Polish though, that's so cool! (and explains her GORGEOUS genes 😍)

to me it seems like they're putting a bigger emphasis on oppressed nations (earth kingdom, maybe northern water tribe when I get to that episode) being a lot more bitter/incendiary and the fire nation being a majority of "these are just average people living their lives" kind of disparity, to showcase the nuance of war. (to put it in very watered down real life comparison, in war there are infinitely more innocent casualties of people simply caught in the middle while the top levels are the ones truly inciting hate/spreading violence) but I've been slowly watching the series with my friends when we can meet up so I can't binge the rest of it LOL 😭
    ❤ Cream 2.0s by sugarbee, Houndoom, Alister; sales ub by Aero ❤

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Misha (03-26-2024)