DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    54d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    If you think about it from a sales perspective, if they let you keep the slot after your premium expires then a lot of people would just buy a month's worth and cancel after. It would only work if premium was a one-time payment and if it was it would cost more.

*~a ghost in the sunlight~*

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corliss For This Useful Post:

Andymac106 (07-15-2017),tribbianitribble (07-15-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Drina View Post
    If you think about it from a sales perspective, if they let you keep the slot after your premium expires then a lot of people would just buy a month's worth and cancel after. It would only work if premium was a one-time payment and if it was it would cost more.
    Sure, but they would still have the same amount of people buying it and keeping it for the other reasons. Why not let people keep the pet (and attract all the people buying for that one reason alone) and then all the people staying on continuous subscriptions would be the ones doing it for shopwiz etc

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    54d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmy1989 View Post
    Sure, but they would still have the same amount of people buying it and keeping it for the other reasons. Why not let people keep the pet (and attract all the people buying for that one reason alone) and then all the people staying on continuous subscriptions would be the ones doing it for shopwiz etc
    Because they want to make more money in the long run, not less. Adding the pet slot made premium more tempting for many users who would otherwise never go for it. Why would they just willingly give up those paying customers?

Premium is a subscription service; a successful subscription isn't one that people only buy once, but keep buying. If they had made the pet slot available in the NC mall, I'd have expected that once you bought it, it was yours forever (one time purchase) - but the whole point of a (good) subscription is that you can only enjoy the perks while you keep paying.

A subscription service might have some perks that you can keep after your subscription is up (the NC premium items for example) but the pet slot in this case is too lucrative/makes up too much of the value of premium for them to do the same thing with it.

I'm not trying to say it would never make sense for them to make a subscription feature be available once the subscription is over, but it also makes perfect sense that there are features that aren't available.

I know there are lots and lots of people who only pay premium for the pet slot, or for whom that's the main reason - just as there are people who only pay to use the SSW. It would not make business sense for neopets to let you use either feature once you stop paying. It encourages people to stop paying.
    Last edited by Corliss; 07-15-2017 at 11:31 AM.

*~a ghost in the sunlight~*

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corliss For This Useful Post:

Dot (07-15-2017),tribbianitribble (07-15-2017),Valent (07-16-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Drina View Post
    Because they want to make more money in the long run, not less. Adding the pet slot made premium more tempting for many users who would otherwise never go for it. Why would they just willingly give up those paying customers?

Premium is a subscription service; a successful subscription isn't one that people only buy once, but keep buying. If they had made the pet slot available in the NC mall, I'd have expected that once you bought it, it was yours forever (one time purchase) - but the whole point of a (good) subscription is that you can only enjoy the perks while you keep paying.

A subscription service might have some perks that you can keep after your subscription is up (the NC premium items for example) but the pet slot in this case is too lucrative/makes up too much of the value of premium for them to do the same thing with it.

I'm not trying to say it would never make sense for them to make a subscription feature be available once the subscription is over, but it also makes perfect sense that there are features that aren't available.

I know there are lots and lots of people who only pay premium for the pet slot, or for whom that's the main reason - just as there are people who only pay to use the SSW. It would not make business sense for neopets to let you use either feature once you stop paying. It encourages people to stop paying.
    I understand all that but still feel the feature of not being able to keep the extra pet after the end of a subscription crosses the line.

I would put it in the same lousy category of if they suddenly made it necessary to feed your pets or they would die/ be pounded. - goes against the nature of the site use. I can go years without playing now then suddenly come back and play every day straight for months.

Oh well. Set up a side and renewed my subscription since I'm still into the game at the moment. Will transfer my pet when the account is old enough and when I need to.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    49 times
    Time Online
    93d 17h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    they should just let us buy additional pet slots

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genesis For This Useful Post:

Corliss (07-16-2017),kimmy1989 (07-15-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 8h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by item View Post
    they should just let us buy additional pet slots
    Presents the same problem of not making money. Yeah it makes money upfront, but why switch to that when so many people are paying for premium JUST for pet slots?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 6h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Because they want to make more money in the long run, not less.
    yes

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    49 times
    Time Online
    93d 17h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    is the number for people who buy premium just for the 5th pet really that high?

imo they would get more from letting us buy say 4 extra slots on each of our accounts

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmy1989 View Post
    I would put it in the same lousy category of if they suddenly made it necessary to feed your pets or they would die/ be pounded. - goes against the nature of the site use.

Not really a good comparison IMO because premium has always been this way since it came out and if they made that change you are suggesting then it would be a change from how things began.

Its kind of like we are living in some sort of dystopian novel in a way. You can't afford that fifth kid, you gotta chose which one you are going to get rid of. At least Ender got to go to Battle School.