28/0
    Mentioned
    163 times
    Time Online
    27d 10h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by birdies View Post
    All current UCs will be converted into the converted version of what they are. So an UC faerie ixi will be turned into a converted faerie ixi.

You will then be given a NC item that makes your pet look unconverted. It won't be a permanent change to your pet, you can put it on and off like an outfit.

Effectively, UCs will cease to exist entirely. No one will own UCs anymore, we'll only have converted pets and skins so that our pets can wear the old art. There will be no way of trading pets as UCs anymore, but you will be able to trade the UC appearance tokens.
    This is single handly the best response and explanation. Trading is dead. Money grab for Neopets hitting on the nostalgia of returning and veteran players alike.

I for one will probably get a few "dream" pets I've always wanted but nothing more than that.

Delibird's Showdown / Guides

Art by @Charmander

The Dynamic Duo:

Artwork by @Dankruse

[GUIDE] (you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    🦕☄️🌃
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    162 times
    Time Online
    59d 1h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 23m
    POUND IS NOW CLOSED!!!!

We apologise for the inconvenience. The Neopian Pound is temporarily closed. It seems that a lorry filled with vats of invisible paint colouring has flipped over behind the pound and it's affected our Neopets. Our staff is busy washing them off and hope to put them back up exactly as they were before as soon as we can.

Error: User to user trades are disabled until Tuesday the 23rd in preparation for the release of NC Pet Styles!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Totodile For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (01-19-2024),Sakuras (01-19-2024),ShinyFriesian (01-19-2024)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    265 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I'm a little confused at all the anger going on right now from the general public on cK.

From the perspective of someone who always trades for UC pets onsite, yeah, you lost the main part of what you've been coming online for, and I understand your anger and frustration at the way TNT handled this. However, hasn't this been the 'up-and-coming' change that everyone has heard about for such a long time? I remember that we were told prior to this AMA announcement that NC UC were coming about, and that people would be able to buy them. Maybe it was just my own assumption, but I had thought that every UC would be the same. Previously, the value of the OGUC would be that even without the NC item, they'd still be UCs, but right now it's that 'trophy' that makes them stand out. On the other hand, it's a very understandable action from TNT to convert all of them to prevent future hiccups.

And now, from cK's (cheaters') perspectives, I thought it was always something that we had advocated for - the ability to purchase something with money, and not having to go through the shitshow that is the PC just to get the pets that we wanted. I'm all for this change, and the fact that I'm able to get all the UCs that I want in due time by just purchasing it from the mall directly, instead of dealing with the black market and having the chances of reversals, getting caught, getting frozen etc.

From the black market sellers' perspective I totally get the anger because you've essentially lost an income source, especially if you've put in the effort to gather your stock. But then again this was something that has been coming for a long time. You still hold your "value" on those pets because of the trophies that you will be getting. Whether they are different from old pets, we would still have to see. It might even be similar to the AC trophies that have minor differences. But nevertheless, it is evident that change is necessary on this game and this is one of the actions that makes a lot of sense from the standpoint of TNT.

I've made my fair share of investments in buying items, stamps, UCs, be it from the black market or from in-game. My investments made at that time are now considered almost zilch, but nevertheless I paid for it at that point in time for the happiness that I got.

Sorry for the long rant, I am just surprised that people aren't happier about this - especially since it was something that (I thought) the community wanted for a long time.

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

aeroria (01-19-2024),Clefairy (01-19-2024),distanthunder (01-19-2024),Endeavor (01-20-2024),♥ honeycomb ♥ (01-19-2024),looseseal (01-19-2024),Lyrichord (01-19-2024),Merit (01-19-2024),Parrot (01-19-2024),Pringle (01-21-2024),♥ Rattata ♥ (01-19-2024),Sakuras (01-19-2024),Spiffy (01-19-2024),Styx (01-19-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 21h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFriesian View Post
    I wonder what the hold-up is behind the pound downtime?
    I think it just went down now. Guess I have to finally stop living in denial lol

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    43d 23h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown View Post
    I'm a little confused at all the anger going on right now from the general public on cK.

From the perspective of someone who always trades for UC pets onsite, yeah, you lost the main part of what you've been coming online for, and I understand your anger and frustration at the way TNT handled this. However, hasn't this been the 'up-and-coming' change that everyone has heard about for such a long time? I remember that we were told prior to this AMA announcement that NC UC were coming about, and that people would be able to buy them. Maybe it was just my own assumption, but I had thought that every UC would be the same. Previously, the value of the OGUC would be that even without the NC item, they'd still be UCs, but right now it's that 'trophy' that makes them stand out. On the other hand, it's a very understandable action from TNT to convert all of them to prevent future hiccups.

And now, from cK's (cheaters') perspectives, I thought it was always something that we had advocated for - the ability to purchase something with money, and not having to go through the shitshow that is the PC just to get the pets that we wanted. I'm all for this change, and the fact that I'm able to get all the UCs that I want in due time by just purchasing it from the mall directly, instead of dealing with the black market and having the chances of reversals, getting caught, getting frozen etc.

From the black market sellers' perspective I totally get the anger because you've essentially lost an income source, especially if you've put in the effort to gather your stock. But then again this was something that has been coming for a long time. You still hold your "value" on those pets because of the trophies that you will be getting. Whether they are different from old pets, we would still have to see. It might even be similar to the AC trophies that have minor differences. But nevertheless, it is evident that change is necessary on this game and this is one of the actions that makes a lot of sense from the standpoint of TNT.

I've made my fair share of investments in buying items, stamps, UCs, be it from the black market or from in-game. My investments made at that time are now considered almost zilch, but nevertheless I paid for it at that point in time for the happiness that I got.

Sorry for the long rant, I am just surprised that people aren't happier about this - especially since it was something that (I thought) the community wanted for a long time.
    This is exactly what I was thinking too. To an extent I get the outrage about all UCs getting converted, and that you lose the ability to trade them, but that's about it. We all knew trading would be dead to a certain extent as everyone could get whatever pet they wanted through NC, and most people are buying them on the black market anyway. So all TNT has done, is instead of having to pay 100+ usd to get a UC, you pay 20usd to TNT and get whatever you want, on the bright side maybe they use the earnings for the betterment of the site?

The only people who should feel outraged is the people who traded as a hobby, the ones really into trading, because they now probably have nothing to do. And possibly the black market sellers.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

aeroria (01-19-2024),distanthunder (01-19-2024),Lyrichord (01-19-2024),Sakuras (01-19-2024),Styx (01-19-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    28d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I'm happy!
    I can switch my BN UC into VWN NCUC thanks to the skin we are getting. I was not able to buy many Pets here on cK, because I am poor IRL.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    ngl i actually like the ~elitist~ vibes certain pets, items and avatars bring. like any game, if you've played for long enough (or cheated hard enough) you get perks that come along with that. constantly RRing nc items, making crazy expensive items worthless, converting all uc pets.. it's just lame imo. if i'm too poor to get a certain avatar bc the items required are way too expensive, or i really want a NC item but it's retired and is valued super high, or i love a certain pet but they're a high tier and i've got jack shit to trade with, i'm not jealous of people that have it! i either save up and buy it (with nps or irl $) or i just admire those that have the thing. it makes it so much more satisfying when you finally achieve the goal.
    idk man, i'm not super pissed off coz i don't go on site much anymore, but it's lame as fuck.
    you can call me pix

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pppp3 For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (01-19-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    215d 22h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 33m
    @(you need an account to see links) One other thing that I thought of for sellers: they'll get the species + paint tool that matches their pet. That can be resold too. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe there's some RNG involved? (Someone let me know please if I'm wrong!) It won't totally recoup costs necessarily, and I'm not aware of total UC pet #'s and all that, but a lot of VBN pets will be useful now to send their exact "styling" elsewhere. But yeah, for people who's Neopian pass-time was trading or their highlight on the site was UC pets, this stinks, even if it does make sense on a business model. Personally, I'm looking forward to getting pets I love while staying safe! They've had a similar idea for years with various skins that serve as a paint color.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Unown (01-19-2024)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    265 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by pppp3 View Post
    ngl i actually like the ~elitist~ vibes certain pets, items and avatars bring. like any game, if you've played for long enough (or cheated hard enough) you get perks that come along with that. constantly RRing nc items, making crazy expensive items worthless, converting all uc pets.. it's just lame imo. if i'm too poor to get a certain avatar bc the items required are way too expensive, or i really want a NC item but it's retired and is valued super high, or i love a certain pet but they're a high tier and i've got jack shit to trade with, i'm not jealous of people that have it! i either save up and buy it (with nps or irl $) or i just admire those that have the thing. it makes it so much more satisfying when you finally achieve the goal.
    idk man, i'm not super pissed off coz i don't go on site much anymore, but it's lame as fuck.
    Hard disagree.

"Like any game" - maybe give a few examples on how a game thrives on a small part of the community gatekeeping, hoarding, and inflating retired/limited items. Most games nowadays have the current items that are expensive (boss raid loots, enhancement items, etc)

You don't get a lot of games that still drive traffic through nostalgia. Neopets has gone a long way and the reason why people stick with it is due to the old artwork. The expensive items are mainly held by 2 kinds of people - those wanting to make extra income through the black market, or gatekeepers/hoarders in the game.

The "save up and buy it" works when items are affordable to the general masses, basically what TNT will be doing with UCs making it $10-$20 a pop, not $200 for a VWN UC lol.

The elitist mindset works for so many because they were old members of the game that were lucky enough to have things or were hardworking/knowledgeable enough to earn them. I do disagree with TNT's blanket conversions and releases that negate many people's hardwork, but catering to the masses helps them much more than retaining this elitist community that neopets has unfortunately bred.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

aeroria (01-19-2024),Parrot (01-19-2024),♥ pppp3 ♥ (01-19-2024),Pringle (01-21-2024),Styx (01-19-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown View Post
    Hard disagree.

"Like any game" - maybe give a few examples on how a game thrives on a small part of the community gatekeeping, hoarding, and inflating retired/limited items. Most games nowadays have the current items that are expensive (boss raid loots, enhancement items, etc)

You don't get a lot of games that still drive traffic through nostalgia. Neopets has gone a long way and the reason why people stick with it is due to the old artwork. The expensive items are mainly held by 2 kinds of people - those wanting to make extra income through the black market, or gatekeepers/hoarders in the game.

The "save up and buy it" works when items are affordable to the general masses, basically what TNT will be doing with UCs making it $10-$20 a pop, not $200 for a VWN UC lol.

The elitist mindset works for so many because they were old members of the game that were lucky enough to have things or were hardworking/knowledgeable enough to earn them. I do disagree with TNT's blanket conversions and releases that negate many people's hardwork, but catering to the masses helps them much more than retaining this elitist community that neopets has unfortunately bred.
    i totally get what you're saying and like i said, i'm not actually mad lol idgaf about neopets at this point. i'm active on the site for a couple weeks or months every few years, get really into it for a hot minite, then get bored and don't log on again for god knows how long.. my last hiatus was 5 yrs. i just like the fact that some things are super fucking hard to achieve. took me years to save up for all the semi basic np achievable avatars (like rich, richest etc) or to have enough collat to be lent high end item avs (not that lenders ever ended up wanting the collat lol). same with nc items, its nice having some super rare items that you have to trade like crazy for - it's a fun part of the game for me. everyone having all the same stuff bc it's "fair for everyone" is kind of boring tbh. the psycho hoarding people do to artificially inflate things is ridiculous, and the PC is a toxic hellhole i rarely visit, but i enjoy the fact that there's certain tiers of exclusivity for things. when i see a user with crazy pets, heaps of rare nc and all the rare avatars i think "wow they're committed!!!". i'm not even one of those users lol i have under 300 avatars (i was really into avatar collecting about 10 years ago but i couldn't care less now), 1 uc i bought here semi recently, usually less than 1,000,000 nps in the bank bc i'm a broke bitch who cbf doing dailies, and most of my nc was traded for legitimately. people like having nice things, and people *especially* like nice things that are hard to get, both on neo and irl. i'm happy for people who are happy, but i also understand why some people aren't.

i guess long story short, my point is, wtf is the site anymore? dress ups? what do you aim for now? i like collecting and building my account - if everything is easy to get then where's the fun in that?
    Last edited by pppp3; 01-19-2024 at 04:21 AM.
    you can call me pix

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pppp3 For This Useful Post:

Ice (01-23-2024),Unown (01-19-2024)