Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Value of Instagram, Facebook (social Media) for a business.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    87d 12h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m

The Value of Instagram, Facebook (social Media) for a business.

(please move this to real-life issues if more fitting)

I am a Full-time Photographer and I have been debating with myself if I should spend more money on expanding my social media precence.

I started my photography in 2010 and believe it or not back then the biggest way to promote your photography business was definitely word-of-mouth. So you would do one or two good shoot and people would tell others. If you were starting out maybe you would spend some money and publish in a magazine.. What actually brought most of my clients was going to wedding venues and introducing myself. I would then leave business cards and the venue owner or manager would suggest me to the couples that would come see the venue. Firstly the number of photographers were far less nad it was the main way of finding a photographer. Instagram, I don't think even existed and Facebook was still in the beginning stage. If you had a website you were already a step ahead of the rest.

Currently, I have a little more than 5k Facebook followers and only 1k Instagram. I always thought that word-of -mouth would always be the best method of getting costumers but now I feel like even if you are recommended by the venue and other vendorsm the younger generation, would first look you up on Facebook and Instagram and see if you have a lot of followers. Am I right to think that?

Now I am thinking is it really worth spending money to get a huge following. Is it one of the main concerns for people looking maybe specifically for a photographer? And then is Facebook and Instgram the right ones. How do you know if you should not concentrate on Pintrest? Ir that another big thing will turn up in a month or two. It is basically impossible to concentrate on more than two social platforms. Well even two is actualy proving a lot .
    Then where should money be spent?

1. Should you be hiring a consultant?
    2. Should you be buying followers? There are people that promise organic floowers. IS this legit? Although it seems to be a very slow process.
    3. Should you be running paid ads on Facebook and Instagram? Or other social media?

(you need an account to see links)

I can tell you now I dont even make $200 a day so I cant spend that on social media marketing. I can probably do $100 a month.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Okay first off: Do not buy followers.

If I’m being honest, photography is an oversaturated market, so it can be hard to really establish yourself. Nowadays, social media and “word of mouth” is usually the best way to get clientele. You’ll also likely want a professional website with your portfolio and rates.
    No one uses Pinterest (using your example) to find a professional photographer. Most people will use Facebook or Instagram to get recommendations and to look at the photographer’s work.
    I don’t suggest paying for advertising on Facebook and Instagram right away, especially if you think you can’t keep up with two platforms. You also need to get a most established client base and income.

I mean this respectfully, but with that way industries are changing, you need to be able to keep up on social media, which typically isn’t very hard to do. You just need to put conscious time and effort into creating and posting your content, your photography and brand.

If you’re not willing to do that, then doing photography as your primary business may not get you very far and may not be sustainable for you. In an industry with tech like photography, you need to be comfortable with social media and digital content creation. That’s just the reality right now.

Also, hiring a social media consultant typically is something that larger brands/individuals and companies do.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (07-26-2022),DarkSkies (07-26-2022),dustyc (07-27-2022),Ice (07-26-2022),phantasia (07-26-2022)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Instagram is pivoting to very video-heavy content, so I've seen a lot of artists and photographers I follow struggling to keep up with that change. (How can you show videos if what you do is art or photos? But if you don't post videos, the algorithm won't show your content, which means that your followers won't even see you...)

Honestly I wouldn't much go for Facebook either. That can be good for local stuff, I guess - maybe advertising on FB Marketplace in a persistent ad - but tbh I know my first stop would be to go to someone's website to see their portfolio, not a social media site.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

dustyc (07-27-2022),phantasia (07-26-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    31d 15h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    I would definitely wait and see with instagram - as mentioned above, they have just changed their system to focus on reels (video clips like tiktoks) rather than photos, and people's photos are getting buried.

There is a lot of protest and backlash about it though so wait and see and they may well shift back.

That said, if you can make short reels using trending sounds while on a photography day, showing behind the scenes etc, that can help to get you a fllowing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to birdies For This Useful Post:

phantasia (07-26-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    36d 1h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    59m
    Hey there!!

So, I'm a professional 2D artist, and have pretty good followings on instagram/twitter (50k+) so i'm going to approach this from my experience,

First off: I think you're right on the money, that the younger generation will indeed look you up and judge you based on how many followers you have. This is the unfortunate new reality that we live in; on some level, their brains will worry that there's something "wrong" with your photos if your follower count is quite low. A social media platform that looks curated and professional, with a nice handful of followers, REALLY elevates your business and gives off the air of professionalism. It also will branch lots of clients your way and give you opportunities you wouldn't have had before.

The good news is that you do not have to spend any money to improve your social media presence. Do not buy followers. The temptation is there, and I get it. I actually bought followers once for a side account as an experiment and it was NOT WORTH IT -- i bought 1000 and 500 of them were deleted within a week, the others were obviously bots. Also, the algorithm sees all these accounts not interacting with your stuff (because, obviously, none of them are real) and it punishes you for it. It's actually counterproductive to building a following. Twitter and IG want to push forward accounts that people like, that people are interacting with.
    I personally wouldn't do a social media manager either; I think if you want to spend money on anything I would take a social media course, but even that I think you could find a lot of free stuff on youtube.

The bad news is that really hustling on social media management will take a lot of time out of your day. On instagram, you'll need to post photos (daily is ideal, or at least 3 times a week. Repost old photos if you need to, play with different crops. Make sure you curate your "feed" so it looks nice all together). You'll need to post stories daily and you'll have to look into reels and how you can utilize that for your platform as well (I HATE reels, but if you want your IG to grow they really boost the eyes on your account. It's very tricky as a photo-based account to come up with video ideas. Look at what other photographers are doing. Can you do step-by-step process videos of how you edit your work? Can you do videos of weddings with your photos intercut within?).

Comment "thank you" on any comments you get when you post a photo, especially within the first day. The more comments you get the more it boosts your stuff, and the first 24 hours is KEY with social media. It's when the algorithm decides whether or not your post is worth pushing on others. IG will give you the option but I wouldn't pay IG to promote your stuff; I've watched videos and a lot of people think it's not worth the money.

IG will also reward you for being active on the account, so you'll want to like other peoples' posts and comment on other photographer's works (though never ask for follow backs or anything like that-- be genuine!). Share lots of photos that inspire you on your stories. People will start following you back and sharing your stuff back, which brings more eyes on your work!

Its definitely an investment in time-- but I will say I have received so much work from social media, and I've even built long-lasting friendships as well. The benefit to social media over word of mouth is that once someone with a lot of followers promotes you or shares your work, you'll be getting a lot of eyes on you all at once (rather than a few couples at a wedding once every weekend). And honestly, you don't need to be a 1 million follower account, you just need a decent following to get things rolling and bring you into the new age. A nice IG with a beautiful feed of your photos, maybe with a website attached that makes you easy to reach, is perfect!

Best of luck in your adventures; again, if this all seems intimidating I just want to stress that having the years of experience and beautiful photos is the hard part. You've done that already! Your work will speak for itself, you just need to get the eyes on it.

Pomi the Ryu
    amazing userbar by lyrichord

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orbit For This Useful Post:

Cherubi (07-26-2022),dustyc (07-27-2022),kittyray (07-26-2022),phantasia (07-26-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I agree with what some others have said - don't straight up buy followers. Yes they will be "organic" but they won't be people who will actually interact with any of your posts. You could have 1million followers, then get 10 interactions with a post. That's not the way to go. If you REALLY wanted to buy followers, you could buy a few thousand each and it should be fairly cheap... just to build your numbers up a bit.

I'd highly, highly recommend tiktok. You can buy ads on there and target your demogaphic. I'm not sure if you can specifically target it to people interested in wedding things... but I feel like so many people use tiktok now a days. If you don't have a page there, make one. Put up random video. Show off your equipment, show off the cool venues you've been to, get a cheap drone and ask a couple if you can use the footage for your own promos.

Coming from somebody who fairly recently planned a wedding, reviews definitely count, and proof images also count. Show off your style, that's really what we looked for. Reviews played a big part too because it shows work has been done in the past and it's not just your first go around. We wanted a seasoned pro because we only got to capture that moment one time.

We definitely didn't really look TOO closely at social media and didn't even consider the amount of followers somebody had. I particularly focused on a clean, smooth website that worked well. My thought process was that if our photographer couldn't have that, then how were their editing skills and all those technical bits.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

11. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

phantasia (07-26-2022)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    16d 1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I'm a photographer as well, and while not full time (YET), when I do book clients, they spend an average of $5k per session with me on the session / products.
    I am a boudoir photographer and I utilize Tiktok, Instagram, and Facebook primarily. A great tool to use would be Facebook groups. I would HIGHLY recommend joining Alex Loveland's free facebook group for photographers. I have purchased almost all of her guides and they are very easily molded to fit any genre photography. She has excellent resources to help with marketing, and her free Facebook group offers a lot of value.

My facebook group has been almost exclusively where I get my clients from, and I tend to funnel any prospective clients from tiktok and instagram to those. TikTok is becoming an increasingly popular marketing tool as well.

I would NOT trust anyone who offers to sell you followers. I know this from experience with my band long ago. It's fake, they will not help. You want authentic engagement.
    I have used facebook targeted ads, but it is tricky to get a successful ad out of it. I've also used promotions on tiktok and have seen decent results but not many clients. Just traffic, which can help you TikTok videos be seen more.

With the right tools and guides, you really don't need to hire a consultant unless you absolutely can not or struggle to do the social media marketing yourself, even with the tools.
    I know I occasionally struggle hard with this, but I don't make enough money consistently through my business to want to hire out, though I may one day. Even then, it would probably be a social media manager or exclusively facebook group manager, as that's the best choice!

Let me know if you have any questions!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LittlePunker For This Useful Post:

phantasia (07-26-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    87d 12h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Ok from most of you I gather that buying followers won't work so scratch that
    @(you need an account to see links) I am a pretty established photographer. I have a studio and have been a photographer for 14 years. 12 years running my own business. The problem is that i am booking more birthday parties 40+ and toddler shoots than weddings. I am struggling to connect with the 13-30 year old that is going to balls and getting married. Even the weddings I do book seem to be older couples. I have a great website. I actually studied graphic design and advertising. I finished my diploma cum laude but Instagram was only created after I graduated.

I also dont think content creating is the problem. I already had one reel go viral. Although i think it was beginners luck. I only have 6 reels. The conversion to followers just did not happen.

@(you need an account to see links) yes when i really started researching now i saw that video seem to be the thing to go with. So i added lots of video content and also photos that is put together as a video in my august scheduled post. Hopefully, that will help. Then I can always for future post the photos in what is basically a slideshow set to music. I try to get video snippets at shoots but sometimes everything just go so fast.
    @(you need an account to see links) if Instagram changed back to more photos it will help so much

@(you need an account to see links) wow ok you have social media under control. Your advice is very practical. I think I really need to make browsing on Instagram part of my daily routine. I will definitely do the thing you thank everyone for that comment, I thought it is weird when people do that but now i get it. I do have a stunning website. Well i like it. I designed it myself i do a little website designing on the side. I manage, host and design 4 other business sites thank you for the encouragement. I do post at least 3 times a week at the moment but I am not getting much engagemnt but I think its because I am not engaging like you said. So I need to set out a time each day to browse and comment on other people's stuff. It is just so time consuing and I am one of those people that when I see other people stuff I doubt myself so much.
    @(you need an account to see links) thank you it is encouraging to know that the amount of followers is not the deciding factor. Maybe my website is a bit to arty, but I think its very much me. I should maybe look at that. Luckily I do have a few reviews. I have recently started asking people to review me on google. (another social platform) Its so hard to know where to take and where to leave.

Wedding highlights just before covid. I basically used the same concept of the slideshow in my posts for August. Even then it was already more older couples
    @(you need an account to see links) wow 5k is a lot. Not even top photographers would make that here in one session unless it is a wedding or hugh corporate event. We are also one of the 4 countries that copyright law gives the client the copyright unless specifically agreed otherwise. So I have to ask every single client to sign a contract so I can use images on social media and they dont have to come to me for prints. The digital files are theirs. Many photograpehrs has tried otherwise but because not everyone is doing it you just cant compete. 5k would be a top manager or high earnings person monthly salary here.
    Last edited by Flordibel; 07-26-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    16d 1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    Ok from most of you I gather that buying followers won't work so scratch that
    @(you need an account to see links) I am a pretty established photographer. I have a studio and have been a photographer for 14 years. 12 years running my own business. The problem is that i am booking more birthday parties 40+ and toddler shoots than weddings. I am struggling to connect with the 13-30 year old that is going to balls and getting married. Even the weddings I do book seem to be older couples. I have a great website. I actually studied graphic design and advertising. I finished my diploma cum laude but Instagram was only created after I graduated.

I also dont think content creating is the problem. I already had one reel go viral. Although i think it was beginners luck. I only have 6 reels. The conversion to followers just did not happen.

@(you need an account to see links) yes when i really started researching now i saw that video seem to be the thing to go with. So i added lots of video content and also photos that is put together as a video in my august scheduled post. Hopefully, that will help. Then I can always for future post the photos in what is basically a slideshow set to music. I try to get video snippets at shoots but sometimes everything just go so fast.
    @(you need an account to see links) if Instagram changed back to more photos it will help so much

@(you need an account to see links) wow ok you have social media under control. Your advice is very practical. I think I really need to make browsing on Instagram part of my daily routine. I will definitely do the thing you thank everyone for that comment, I thought it is weird when people do that but now i get it. I do have a stunning website. Well i like it. I designed it myself i do a little website designing on the side. I manage, host and design 4 other business sites thank you for the encouragement. I do post at least 3 times a week at the moment but I am not getting much engagemnt but I think its because I am not engaging like you said. So I need to set out a time each day to browse and comment on other people's stuff. It is just so time consuing and I am one of those people that when I see other people stuff I doubt myself so much.
    @(you need an account to see links) thank you it is encouraging to know that the amount of followers is not the deciding factor. Maybe my website is a bit to arty, but I think its very much me. I should maybe look at that. Luckily I do have a few reviews. I have recently started asking people to review me on google. (another social platform) Its so hard to know where to take and where to leave.

Wedding highlights just before covid. I basically used the same concept of the slideshow in my posts for August. Even then it was already more older couples
    @(you need an account to see links) wow 5k is a lot. Not even top photographers would make that here in one session unless it is a wedding or hugh corporate event. We are also one of the 4 countries that copyright law gives the client the copyright unless specifically agreed otherwise. So I have to ask every single client to sign a contract so I can use images on social media and they dont have to come to me for prints. The digital files are theirs. Many photograpehrs has tried otherwise but because not everyone is doing it you just cant compete. 5k would be a top manager or high earnings person monthly salary here.
    It's definitely taken a lot to get there, and learning marketing and pricing to get to that point. When I first started I did weddings with my husband (he did video and I did photo, and we would charge $600 for an entire event (no cap on hours!), It was so bad and we were working ourselves to the bone! But yes, when it comes to marketing, even for wedding photography, I would highly recommend a facebook group and TikTok. That is super unfortunate about the copyright in your country. That's really terrible, as an artist you should always have copyright.
    But if you decide to, I would join Alex Loveland's free facebook group, there are thousands of people from other countries in there as well and I think you'd find it very beneficial!

Edit to add :

Also, I LOVE the crispness in your color and images! they look very bright and "true to color" feel! Amazing work!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LittlePunker For This Useful Post:

phantasia (07-26-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    87d 12h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePunker View Post
    It's definitely taken a lot to get there, and learning marketing and pricing to get to that point. When I first started I did weddings with my husband (he did video and I did photo, and we would charge $600 for an entire event (no cap on hours!), It was so bad and we were working ourselves to the bone! But yes, when it comes to marketing, even for wedding photography, I would highly recommend a facebook group and TikTok. That is super unfortunate about the copyright in your country. That's really terrible, as an artist you should always have copyright.
    But if you decide to, I would join Alex Loveland's free facebook group, there are thousands of people from other countries in there as well and I think you'd find it very beneficial!

Edit to add :

Also, I LOVE the crispness in your color and images! they look very bright and "true to color" feel! Amazing work!
    Luckily I capped my hours. I am like mid level priced here. Not cheap so people wont book me because I am cheap but there are photograpehrs that charge more. I think if you did not cap your hours here there would be trouble. People have two day weddings here! Imagiine booking a 22 hour and not getting paid for those hours. Terrible. I started working with a videographer now that use to work with his wife (she is a teacher and dont want to anymore) so hopefully that will go well. SO far done 2 weddings with him and its nice.

Thank you. Yeah poeple have saif I dont have a style and I should go with like a brown tint or something but its just not me. Although if this social media thing don't start picking up I would definitely have to look at having a more distinct style.
    Last edited by phantasia; 07-26-2022 at 07:59 PM.