Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you think the art for site items has improved lately?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    8d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    I agree with this. Some items it actually looks like they cared about the time spent on the intricate details while others look mediocre at best...

It makes me wonder though about the future of nc wearables vs np wearables in particular because for example, Charming Spring Background isn't a nc item but is somewhat animated

Kinda curious if the format they use for nc is the same as the one for that background, or if it makes a difference

not the first time an NP Item was animated though. I cant remember but a while back there was another NP Background that was animated too. Ever since then it just didn't seem like there's gonna be much difference between NC and NP wearables.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to neoprince For This Useful Post:

Cherubi (04-18-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    22h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    I agree with this. Some items it actually looks like they cared about the time spent on the intricate details while others look mediocre at best...

It makes me wonder though about the future of nc wearables vs np wearables in particular because for example, Charming Spring Background isn't a nc item but is somewhat animated

Kinda curious if the format they use for nc is the same as the one for that background, or if it makes a difference
    To be fair some nc items look pretty garbage but most of the nc stuff is much more desirable than np items bc of better design. But if they only make nice nc items and low quality np items then I don't think their f2p player base would stay around

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anteiku For This Useful Post:

Cherubi (04-18-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    56d 4h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I've been wondering this too because I would give ANYTHING for them to go back to the days where their artists produced something as high quality as this regularly:

Cute art was one of the main reasons that I got sucked into this pleasant chaos 10 years ago

Anyway I hate to be rude but the JS artists have produced some of the ugliest pieces of art I've ever seen on a game, honestly makes me wonder how they had the audacity to release some of these items just like that:

However I've noticed some really nice (compared to the rest of the items released in the JS era) art lately that sorta reminded me of Viacom era art like these:

But most of the time they're still dishing out items that have cute concepts (would be amazing if they were done by the Viacom era artists) but really, really poor execution. The art is just so roughly done, like something that would appear in a $0.99 "Let's Sing ABC!" book.

What annoys me the most are people who are super supportive of them and act all crazy over these "cute concept, cheap art" items like that boba cup. The same group of people have nothing but old items on their "dream" wishlist that people are now trading 20 times what they used to be worth, there's a reason why there are almost no "populars" released in the JS era (except for stuff that blatantly copied off-site art , stuff that recycled elements from older items or "basic" stuff )

Overall I have a lot of hope in the artist that drew I hope they leave everything to him/her for now, hire some more actual artists (a bunch of people on NN can do much better) and fire the monkey who did
    Last edited by Spinda; 04-18-2020 at 01:01 PM.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Spinda For This Useful Post:

Erik. (04-18-2020),gjniev (04-18-2020),kittyray (04-18-2020),♥ lagrima ♥ (04-23-2020),Malarkey (04-18-2020),Menine (04-19-2020),Sakuras (05-08-2020),Sora (04-19-2020),Spiffy (04-21-2020),wildnova (04-20-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    16d 5h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I've been extremely disappointed with JS's art since they took over. Like literally looking at everything they've ever drawn during events makes me cringe so hard (most of the time, anyway). But yeah, especially with items and wearables. mortychichi made an incredible point with their examples! I miss the Viacom era of art so so so so much.

Has the art been improving though? Maybe a little? Yeah, I've noticed a change in quality with the new Festival of Neggs items. Imo last year's Halloween and Christmas NC stuff was pretty terrible. So let's hope that this upward trend continues.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sora For This Useful Post:

Spinda (04-22-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    68d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by mortychichi View Post
    I've been wondering this too because I would give ANYTHING for them to go back to the days where their artists produced something as high quality as this regularly:

Cute art was one of the main reasons that I got sucked into this pleasant chaos 10 years ago

Anyway I hate to be rude but the JS artists have produced some of the ugliest pieces of art I've ever seen on a game, honestly makes me wonder how they had the audacity to release some of these items just like that:

However I've noticed some really nice (compared to the rest of the items released in the JS era) art lately that sorta reminded me of Viacom era art like these:

But most of the time they're still dishing out items that have cute concepts (would be amazing if they were done by the Viacom era artists) but really, really poor execution. The art is just so roughly done, like something that would appear in a $0.99 "Let's Sing ABC!" book.

What annoys me the most are people who are super supportive of them and act all crazy over these "cute concept, cheap art" items like that boba cup. The same group of people have nothing but old items on their "dream" wishlist that people are now trading 20 times what they used to be worth, there's a reason why there are almost no "populars" released in the JS era (except for stuff that blatantly copied off-site art , stuff that recycled elements from older items or "basic" stuff )

Overall I have a lot of hope in the artist that drew I hope they leave everything to him/her for now, hire some more actual artists (a bunch of people on NN can do much better) and fire the monkey who did
    Really good examples of the differences. @ those good examples of items you posted...so beautiful *_*. I remember finding it fun to look at the super large versions of the bgs because they were so pretty haha.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybelly For This Useful Post:

Spinda (04-22-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    64 times
    Time Online
    36d 19h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    I gotta agree with most of what's already been said, and conclude that I'm rather hopeful especially given the last winter and easter NC stuff. I almost lost hope after that 20th anniversary catastrophe X_X

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    24d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    That makes me even more hopeful for future releases, because the capsules are emulating the vibe that olds items give off. Now if only they can outline the items a little bit thicker...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I always wonder about their art. I follow one of the illustrators on Instagram and we had a chat once about the way the site uses the illustrations like the base is not the same. I guess that's one of the things that makes this website so unique and lovable. Does anyone else knows any illustrators that work for neopets?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    56d 4h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    So this background released today is presumably done by the same artist who did these:

Still not Viacom era level art (who on Earth decided that it was a good idea to add the jarring and extremely extra purple flowers -_- It would be so much better without those purple colons dangling there) but it definitely is nice, SOOOOO much better than the "good concept, cheap/cartoonish execution" BGs we saw in the Festival of Neggs. If TNT isn't planning on hiring more actual artists I really hope they leave all the NC items to this person!

-------

Quote Originally Posted by mokavanila View Post
    I always wonder about their art. I follow one of the illustrators on Instagram and we had a chat once about the way the site uses the illustrations like the base is not the same. I guess that's one of the things that makes this website so unique and lovable. Does anyone else knows any illustrators that work for neopets?
    I would really love to see more works from the illustrator who did Antique Chic Christmas Foreground and most of the other now deemed "popular" NC items, their soft pastel style is just amazing ;_;

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spinda For This Useful Post:

♥ lagrima ♥ (04-29-2020)