Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gardening & growing things, to eat or for fun! Houseplant lovers also welcome.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by TropeyWife View Post
    Is anyone starting seeds soon for this this year's garden? I'm definitely going to do a few tomatoes and peppers, but I think that might be it for me this year.
    I already started seeds! When I started gardening a few years ago, my... interest? in having a ton of varieties dwindled. This year I'm doing two tomato varieties, bell pepper, chili pepper, and basil. I might do cucumbers directly in the ground when there's no more chance of frost, especially since they grow so fast.

Pronouns
    anything/goes
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    I've always wanted to do more gardening but I've never had much luck... my dad, on the other hand, has been able to make a bountiful harvest for the past like 23 years this year he finally had full sized pumpkins come in and we carved them for halloween! he really loved the beet seeds I found a year back so I'm hoping to find them again. They're almost carrot shaped? like long and thick instead of just r o u n d.

Pronouns
    they / them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    19d 18h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    i have a lavender growing kit that i'm about to start putting together in the coming week. i'm hoping my adhd ass will remember to take care of it lmao.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    24d 1h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by angeldust View Post
    i have a lavender growing kit that i'm about to start putting together in the coming week. i'm hoping my adhd ass will remember to take care of it lmao.
    Don't bet on it x'D #IalsohaveADHD

Pronouns
    🔥
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    12d 15h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    4h 16m
    I've recently moved to the midwest and have wanted to take up some sort of gardening. I've always had the opposite of a green thumb though, and have killed the hardiest of houseplants. 😭

I bought a small sago palm earlier last year and it hasn't died yet, and in fact sprouted new leaves last summer
    I'm hoping to maybe start a very small, not too ambitious garden next year. It would be super great to grow a few veggies for myself.

Avatar by the wonderful (you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    im in zone 9b. here's what i planted/harvested this past fall:

radishes (scarlet globe, daikon, french breakfast, chinese red)
    sugar snap peas
    broccolini

potatoes + garlic (planted but not yet harvested)

everything was a great success except for the broccolini and chinese red radish.
    the chinese red was sensitive to pests/powdery mildew and the broccolini was a slow bloomer and turned out bitter. it also had a slow window between maturity and flowering. this might be cuz the broccolini had a close call with a vicious ant colony attack lol.

this was my first ever crop so i'd consider it overall a great success!

the main thing i learned was that for radishes, you can let them go over the recommended harvest to get them bigger, but they'll develop this thick tough outer layer that needs to be gotten rid of since its not very tasty. i think maybe the inside part is supposed to be worse tasting too but i didnt notice.

now i need to figure out what to plant for spring. what are y'all planting?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    here are some stuff that getting there. A lot of them are flowers that I can't tell you the name of right now as I don't know xD

but there is also bananachili pepper plants and tomato plants in there.

I have also planted some lettuce and some habanero plants that hopefully will pop up more in the next upcoming days

(you need an account to see links)

thank you Hollow for the amazing Gengar art piece

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hellraid For This Useful Post:

♥ pppp3 ♥ (03-19-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    cuuuute! i love lil baby seedlings. i'm so sad my garden is completely fucked atm, was a super hot wet summer so everything got mildewy and diseased. ripped most of it up before i left for a month now it's all weeds
    ive bought a kg or so of green mulch seeds to re-treat my soil though so fingers crossed i get a nice winter crop going
    you can call me pix

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    25m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I haven't started my seeds yet, but I'm definitely gearing up to do so soon.
    One thing I'm really excited to grow this year is heirloom tomatoes. There's just something special about biting into a juicy, homegrown tomato that you can't quite replicate with store-bought ones. I'm planning to try out a few different varieties, maybe some beefsteaks for sandwiches and salads, as well as some cherry tomatoes for snacking straight from the vine.

Aside from the garden prep, I'm on the hunt for some new outdoor furniture. Ours is over 8 years old, and it shows. I've been thinking of this (you need an account to see links). Rattan furniture is durable and weather-resistant, which seems ideal for our unpredictable weather here in the UK. I'm still not decided. I'll have to search for some more info before doing it.
    Last edited by Smith01; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:42 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    7h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Yesss. Home grown tomatoes are amazing!