Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Some of Your Odd/Quirky Phobias?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    74/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    17d 20h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

What Are Some of Your Odd/Quirky Phobias?

I was having this discussion earlier at work, and found out that people are just really weird. LOL

It all started when my assistant manager discovered I have an irrational fear of rubber bands. I mean, I'm fine with their existence and appreciate their purpose, but GOD FORBID one is stretched out in my direction. I could trust you with my entire life, but if you point a rubber band at me, I will flinch for my life. Even if I know you're joking, and would not actually fling it at me, I still will cower in fear. They don't even hurt that bad, but I still can't help but flinch. She now teases me all the time with a rubber band.

But this is because I exploit her irrational fear of birds. She is literally terrified of them, and I taunt her about it. It's funny.

Some others we discussed were the texture/sound of a ball of cotton. Literally, the absolute worst thing ever. Ugh. Pieces of styrofoam being rubbed together, literally chills my bones and is just incredibly unbearable. Another girl in my department apparently gets extremely creeped out by sock monkeys and porcelain dolls.

What are some weird things/sounds/textures/etc that you literally just cannot deal with?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    115/0
    Mentioned
    68 times
    Time Online
    58d 5h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelin View Post
    Pieces of styrofoam being rubbed together

I think it's just that though, and some trypophobia images that also make me really uncomfortable

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,191 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    I cannot deal with the texture/sound of a tissue being rubbed on a construction paper.

I just get SO uncomfortable whenever I think about it or see it happening.

I also can't stand balloons. Just like you for rubber bands, I don't mind knowing balloons exist, I just don't want any near me in case it would burst. The sound scares me so much I feel like I'm dying. It gets me very anxious whenever I'm near one.

Trypophobia also makes me very uncomfortable too. (Thank you @(you need an account to see links) for making me remember about it)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    74/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    17d 20h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cath View Post
    I cannot deal with the texture/sound of a tissue being rubbed on a construction paper.

I just get SO uncomfortable whenever I think about it or see it happening.

I also can't stand balloons. Just like you for rubber bands, I don't mind knowing balloons exist, I just don't want any near me in case it would burst. The sound scares me so much I feel like I'm dying. It gets me very anxious whenever I'm near one.

Trypophobia also makes me very uncomfortable too. (Thank you @(you need an account to see links) for making me remember about it)
    HAHAHA. This reminds me of a girl I used to work with that would NEVER let her daughter play with a balloon out of fear that it might pop. Just like me with rubber bands. It really isn't that bad, and the pain may be very minuscule, BUT THE ANXIETY IS SO REAL!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Grasshoppers. Those little hoppity fucks jump, latch on, and do not let go. And the sound they make in the grass. I hate it. I hear that swish sound and I freeze. Somewhere near me is a damn grasshopper but unless I move it will not move. Scary stuff.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    I cover my webcam and front of my phone camera when I'm not using them because I'm scared people are watching me thru them

Also pregnant people... The size of their bellies, knowing there's another life inside of that swelling, EVERYTHING about pregnancy as a whole... No. Seeing pregnant people makes me nauseous and brings about the same feeling of claustrophobia and panic as someone with arachnophobia feels around spiders.

Unfortunately, my doctors waiting room has like 80 FUCKING posters with pics of pregnant women on them. Fucking... Why? Why. I feel personally attacked by it. I walk into that waiting room when I forget what it means to feel fear or if I can't throw up by my usual means.

Oh god. PDA too. Romantic couple pda of any sort puts the panic in me. Fuck that shit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Kite (06-27-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    1d 21h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    the feeling of scratching your fingernail on a rough surface

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to workallnight For This Useful Post:

Amber (07-04-2016),Kite (06-27-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/1
    Mentioned
    320 times
    Time Online
    95d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    One of my biggest fears is death other than that I don't really fear anything like really really fear anything ^_____~
    Maybe loosing my phone?!? IDK!!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/8
    Mentioned
    123 times
    Time Online
    27d 4h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Balloons!!! They're so cute and I love them but not when other people are around then they become threatening like a WEAPON BOMB it's scary and so rude when they pop them especially right near you what the heck!!!

Also, must not forget this death trap

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Useful Post:

Bani (01-12-2016),Maison (01-12-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Fish. Deer.
    I'm irrationally scared of both.

I used to be really scared of the dark and had to sleep with a lamp or overhead light on and I'd still get night terrors... until I got my cat.
    Ever since I got him, I can handle the night a lot better. ^_^

But um yes trypophobia pictures, those stupid photoshopped lotus pods on skin... fuuuuuuuuuuuccckkk that.
    It makes me want to vomit every time I see them.
    It's like an insta-panic "GETTHATSHITAWAYFROMMERIGHTNOW" feeling.

I get scared by a most things that are *supposed* to be scary (I'm a giant wuss, and especially when it comes to unnatural things like zombies/aliens), but those are my only real "this shouldn't be scary, but it is" fears.