6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by alesteors View Post
    Yeah I tip, mostly because I've heard the horror stories of how terrible it is. That being said, it IS a job, and they ARE getting paid for work. If they make it clear to me they don't want to be there, or I ask for a refill or something and I'm made to feel like some giant inconvenience (especially since I'm always polite, etc.), then that does come out of their tip. Otherwise, yeah, I tend to give a decent tip.

well to be fair, in some places they only make money on what people tip, so if you aren't tipping, they aren't getting paid.
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    287d 1h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    Hearing people say they earn less than minimum wage is quite confusing.

Here it is illegal to pay somebody less than minimum wage....that's why we have minimum wage, it's the minimum

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    For absolutely horrendous service/attitude: 0... or if I want to really be mean, $1. I know it can suck to get $1 for a tip, and that's a dirtier feeling than getting none.

99% of the time I tip either of the bottom 3:

10% for mediocre, barely acceptable service.
    15% good service
    20%+ great service!!

I try to leave tip always because I know dealing with customers for hours on end can be atrocious at times. Waiting on people is a tough job.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    In Australia not tipping isnt frowned upon, so the service often suffers. If I went to the US I'd tip well, I've been a waitress before and it sucks.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I tip based on service too. If I get someone who enjoys conversation, and treats you like a friend and like you actually get a good talk out of I'll tip 25-40%. If its someone who's being a total bitch I probably wont. If its mediocre I'll stick to the 15%. I might tip cute girls more just because I'm a guy and we do stuff like that sometimes

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post
    Hearing people say they earn less than minimum wage is quite confusing.

Here it is illegal to pay somebody less than minimum wage....that's why we have minimum wage, it's the minimum
    For a job like a waitress/waiter minimum wage is different from every other job.
    I know its $2.13 an hour cause i am a waitress in NY it sucks, basically tip's are how you make your money.
    Nobody can live on $2.13 an hour.

For most other jobs minimum wage is $7.25 depending on where you live.

However after working in the service industry I usually tip 20% for everything
    other than pizza guy and car wash guy they get get 5 bucks

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    157/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    88d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Mainly I only tip for pizza and I usually just give them a couple bucks$$

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Tips in U.S.A seem crazy to me. I love how you guys feel empathy for the delivery drivers not earning enough so you tip them but seriously wtf is going on in your country that allows less than minimum wage to be paid to people? A tip is supposed to be optional not because you have to make someones wages match the legal minimum amount.

Not trying to U.S.A bash , I love me some 'mericans but I have never understood how company's can get away with this. Also people was saying they tip 20% but why? If you have a huge order the cook has to do alot of work sure but the delivery driver? Carrying a few extra pizzas to your door does not warrent 20% of your bill. I don't get it maybe its just a cultral difference!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    No. In my country is not used xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    1d 4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by raredaredevil View Post
    Tips in U.S.A seem crazy to me. I love how you guys feel empathy for the delivery drivers not earning enough so you tip them but seriously wtf is going on in your country that allows less than minimum wage to be paid to people? A tip is supposed to be optional not because you have to make someones wages match the legal minimum amount.

Not trying to U.S.A bash , I love me some 'mericans but I have never understood how company's can get away with this. Also people was saying they tip 20% but why? If you have a huge order the cook has to do alot of work sure but the delivery driver? Carrying a few extra pizzas to your door does not warrent 20% of your bill. I don't get it maybe its just a cultral difference!
    As someone who's been apart and even done management in the service industry for around 4 years rare, the reason why tipping exists is because you technically aren't -FORCED- to pay anything. Essentially, tipping follows that idealistic freedom Americans so vehemently love where they can choose how much they feel the employee deserves based on their own judgement and how well the service they requested was performed. This is a combination of service, eating experience, etc. etc. The reason why tips are allowed is because it allows restaurants and other places to have competitive food pricing, because a restaurant who does take out and dine in, let's say, doesn't want to charge people the same amount if they're taking home the food as people who are eating in. The reasons are obvious due to the fact that dine-in customers require the restaurant to do more work, dish washing, service, water/complementary beverages, etc. etc. When someone takes home food, you pack it to go and they pay and leave. Obviously the latter is cheaper. With this in mind, tipping essentially splits the costs of customer payments, an initial payment for the food, and a payment for the service received as well as satisfaction. That is tipping.

Cultures which do not require tipping may just have better culture for dine-out restaurants, or they may just not care about people ordering food to go quite as much. In america, the take-out industry is just as large as the dine-in industry. (Deliveries as well, but those are another service which gets tip.)

Cause someday I'll be OVER 9,000... Rep!