Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    52d 20h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m

Question about proxies

I tried out using some free proxies (such as cyberghost and other free elite proxies) for a few of my shells that previously used my university IP and I noticed that a few neopets activities can't be done on them. Such as I cannot buy from user shops, make offers on trades, or search for things on shop wiz. Do you know why this happens? Also, some of the proxies didn't let me adopt/pound neopets but others did. Is it just a question of finding the right proxy that allows the activities I want to do? Or is it something to do with my computer settings?

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 11h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Why can't you? What happens when you try to do those things? @(you need an account to see links)

Maybe the VPN/connection is very poor/slow? Never heard someone have this happen to them before.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    312 times
    Time Online
    77d 22h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Hidemyass is the way to go homeboy

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    14d 10h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    @(you need an account to see links), this actually happens on certain proxies. Idk what causes the issue but I usually just change proxies until I find one that can access those stuff :/
    @(you need an account to see links)rial, when this occurs to me, I just switch proxies until
    I find a good one. Alternatively, use a VPN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    52d 20h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Joe View Post
    Why can't you? What happens when you try to do those things? @(you need an account to see links)

Maybe the VPN/connection is very poor/slow? Never heard someone have this happen to them before.
    Usually an error comes up saying there is something wrong with my secuirty settings or that I was directed from the wrong page. Sometimes the links just don't work at all. Especially with flash/java things just don't show up.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vindictive View Post
    Hidemyass is the way to go homeboy
    Okay, thanks. I'll give that a try when I get home today.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by siaospear View Post
    monorial, when this occurs to me, I just switch proxies until I find a good one. Alternatively, use a VPN
    Okay, will try. Finding a good proxy is so difficult. x_x What is the difference between a proxy and a VPN? Sorry, I am new to this so am not familiar with any of this stuff.

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 11h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Monorail View Post
    Usually an error comes up saying there is something wrong with my secuirty settings or that I was directed from the wrong page. Sometimes the links just don't work at all. Especially with flash/java things just don't show up.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Okay, will try. Finding a good proxy is so difficult. x_x What is the difference between a proxy and a VPN? Sorry, I am new to this so am not familiar with any of this stuff.
    To keep it simple - A VPN is a program that takes over your computer network and masks it with the connection/IP.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Lincoln (05-12-2016),Requiem (05-12-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Monorail View Post

Proxy: Your connections pass through another IP elsewhere then talks to the Neopets Server or whatever u're proxying towards. No encryption.
    VPN: Your connections are pass through a tunnel to a VPN server somewhere (and encrypted so only the VPN server and u know the contents of your connection. No others are able to see. Not even your ISP. Depends on trustworthiness of the VPN provider.) and the VPN server talks to the Neopets Server on your behalf. Hence, your "public IP" according to Neopets is the VPN server's IP.

I use a pay-per-traffic service actually. It's safer and a more trustworthy service that I know my friends use for other things like gaming, streaming, etc.
    Cuz, you never know what malicious "free" VPN provider out there is actually mining your data and compromising your computer's security. I'm still a layperson on this matter. Whoever can correct me if I'm being paranoid. Lol. I always rather be safe than sorry, y'knw.

Note that there are, similiarly, also trustworthy and malicious proxy providers. So, take point from the guys around here that have the experience using trustworthy proxy providers.
    Last edited by foreignemphasis; 05-12-2016 at 10:48 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foreignemphasis For This Useful Post:

Requiem (05-12-2016)