DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    20h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I didn't really read through the entire thread, but just my general two cents:

The two are not mutually exclusive. That being said, I am heavily in favor of evolution. This is why:

Although Darwinian thought argues that all species originated essentially from one singular organism (not too different from the Bible.. ironically), wherever you believe the origin of life came from, the point is that as soon as that first form of life appeared -- and, subsequently, when the next life form, whether it be through budding or sex, or whatever -- evolution happened. People always talk about missing links, holes in our evolution, etc, but it stands to just say that evolution is a mere change in genetic composition of the vessels that carry the genes. It must have happened immediately after life was established, regardless of whether life was put here by the hands of God or by the hands of science.

I can't stand the creationists who say dinosaurs lived by people. That's just not true. I also can't stand the evolutionary biologists who are at the throats of theologists saying that there is no room for faith, or a God. I find religion, and moreover faith, has a lot more to offer someone than 'facts'. That is underestimated by scientists.

Anyway, total straddler here but anyone who said the debate ends in argument is right. I think we all agree on that!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    79 times
    Time Online
    6d 13h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Not to mention those who don't understand the scientific basis of organisms think those who believe in evolution are wrong because they are saying something different that what the first group thinks about evolution. Organisms do not evolve into other organisms, that is a blatant falsehood. Apes do not evolve into humans and kiwis do not evolve into ostriches, this isn't Pokemon after all. Those who do not understand that basic concept will never be able to understand evolution and the immense amount of support that it has.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GOAT For This Useful Post:

GKBrendan (05-31-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    11h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Syzygy View Post
    I didn't really read through the entire thread, but just my general two cents:

The two are not mutually exclusive. That being said, I am heavily in favor of evolution.
    As Syzygy said, many people are indeed both Evolutionists and Creationists. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the majority of Creationists are also Evolutionists.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've always been athiest, so evolution

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Having grown up in a family where religion was not a priority, I have always been an atheist. At times, I consider my self more of an agnostic, but I'd say that I definitely lean more towards there not being a god. I definitely respect people's beliefs in spiritual matters, but personally I am an evolutionist because I am the kind of person who needs quantitative and qualitative data to believe in something. There are tons of flaws in the theory of evolution still, but it really does make sense as there is evidence to support aspects of it; i.e. fossils, homologous structures, etc. It just makes sense to me. On the other hand, I do not believe in Creationism because there is not qualitative and quantitative proof to say that a sort of upper beings exists. Sure, someone who is highly religious can argue this, but as far as I know, there have been no spiritual occurrences which can be repeated consistently in order to be proven by science. I'm more of a believer that these types of happenings such as when someone prays and asks for a better life, is more due to personal belief that someone can better themselves rather than a god making it occur. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Something I don't like about creationism though is when people are essentially forced into a religion from childhood, often when they're not old enough to make that decision by themselves. I believe if someone is going to follow creationism, then they should be able to make that choice later in life when they know both sides of the argument to make an educated decision. If religion will help them become a better person, then please take that route. However, I would like to believe I'm a "good" person even though I haven't had the influence of religion.
    Last edited by learningtoneopet1; 05-20-2014 at 11:58 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    22d 2h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I have a degree in geology and purposefully geared all of my electives toward biology, ecology, and paleo because my goal was to work in a natural history museum (I did work at 2 museums for a little over a year before veering off to another industry) So..... yes, evolution. 100% and totally, wholeheartedly evolution.

I can't even begin to type out the misunderstandings of the general public on evolution. I would encourage anyone who wants to truly learn (or really have a leg to stand on in the anti-ev debate) to really immerse yourself in the study of cladistics, phylogenetics, the types/mechanisms of speciation, the concept of punctuated equilibrium.... the list goes on. This isn't exactly easy to do with, like, an afternoon or two on Wikipedia. In order to introduce questions and concepts that the scientific community hasn't answered/dismissed with peer-reviewed evidence long ago, you're going to need an understanding at the level of an advanced degree in the subject or further. The science of evolution is so broad and complex that a simple question of "Wait.... is it even real?" is (rightfully) mocked by those who have dedicated many decades of research. It's like asking your PhD math advisor if he believes in multiplication.

My two cents.
    ...Also I just noticed this thread is kinda old. But I already typed this out and hrmph.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 1h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I do not believe that we were created just by coincidence, I'm sure that the hands of a higher being, a God is involved in our creation process.

That is why I strongly support the theory of creationism.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/3
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    17d 12h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    WARNING: a creationist comment follows. Do not read if you're going to feel intimidated.

Which is easier to logically accept, the theory that there should not be any existence or the theory of how existence came to be?

I find it easier to believe that there shouldn't be any existence. But since there is a speck of sand that I can see, and that there are living creatures, I have to believe that there is such thing as existence.

How can one explain how all these existences came to be?
    How can one know how exactly things came to be?

Say for example, 3 people: person A wondered how, person B wondered how, and person C wondered how, will they come up with the same explanation of how things exist?
    If these 3 people do their studies and research, will they come up with the same explanation? Even more questionable is that whether what they have come up is accurate or true? How can you know that what they come up with is true?

Personally, I find it easier to answer my "wonder-how" by simply believing that there is a creator.
    But there was a second problem: did he exist? I know that there are people who won't believe if I say I found Him.
    Last edited by damian002; 06-02-2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: I accidentally sent when I haven't done writing

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 12h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    im buddhist and im all for evolution cause YOLO and buddhist we believe in reincarnation so we can YOLO all the time ...

yea evolution cause YOLO!

Pronouns
    ur mama
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    56/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    2d 2h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Creationism, because i find it hard to see that one random explosion created the whole universe. It is more believable for me that one higher entity created everything according to what our needs were and how animals would act on earth, etc. Each animal has a course in this world and so humans too, we are made for one purpose only but really don't know why we are here on earth exactly

There's one more thing that you need to know
    before you let your creativety flow
    Listen to your heart, listen to the rain,
    listen to the voices in your brain

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast