17/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    13d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahsoka View Post
    You do realize not all of the people who are LGBT agree with the people who harass and bully others right? Just because they're the loudest voices doesn't mean they're the majority or in the right. But good job generalizing a whole group of people based on the bad ones.
    Yet LGBT people are completely in the right to harass and bully people just because they have differing opinions?

no problem since you all seem to generalize heterosexual people as well from what I've seen posted here
    I think you were included in that group as well so thanks for reinforcing my negative opinions fam
    Ana's slave <3

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kite View Post
    Yet LGBT people are completely in the right to harass and bully people just because they have differing opinions?

no problem since you all seem to generalize heterosexual people as well from what I've seen posted here
    I think you were included in that group as well so thanks for reinforcing my negative opinions fam
    My post went entirely over your head. I never said it was okay, did I? You're so quick to jump down other people's throat about it. Oh wait, let me guess, because someone else said it, I did by association.

I don't have anything against heterosexual people and if you ever actually read my posts I never said anything negative about them.

But hey, thanks for playing.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    dude u obviously didnt need ur hate for gay ppl reinforced u already seem pretty set on hating us lol

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Corvid (06-16-2017),Raylu (06-09-2017),Synth Salazzle (06-08-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    13d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Osomatsu View Post
    dude u obviously didnt need ur hate for gay ppl reinforced u already seem pretty set on hating us lol
    LOL wew boy here we go again passive aggressive attack op

like I said several times I don't hate or dislike gay people or transgender or any people for that matter

what you reinforced was not my hate for gay people as you put it but more just my opinion that people that make threads and the few core posters that inevitably end up posting repetitively on it are opinionated cunts that don't do justice at all in representing the very group they're trying to make accessible for other people to become familiar with

sorry I couldn't be bothered to read your 600 word post but if you can give me the bullet points or a tl;dr next time I'll look that over
    Ana's slave <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    31 times
    Time Online
    12d 21h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    ahhahah yeah okay im sorry you don't feel comfortable living life together and expressing love for your partner in public, but that's your own shortcoming obviously and also something straight people deal with as well tbh
    ah yes, i do often enjoy public ridicule and death threats when i'm out with my girlfriend. how on earth is it a major short coming to be uncomfortable when people make disgusting comments, beat you senseless, and/or try and convert you to the "proper sexuality".
    Last edited by Persephone; 06-08-2017 at 11:53 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (06-09-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    In past threads I've indicated that the generalisation of hetero and/or cis people is not accurate or fair. There are nasty people in every group, and tarring everyone with the same brush is only going to perpetuate the ignorance, prejudice and bigotry. It is undeniable that minority groups, such as the LGBT+ community, more frequently face discrimination and other difficulties than the majority does. This does not negate the challenges or discrimination of other groups, and those who see it this way have too narrow a perspective. It should not be a matter of "my problems are bigger than yours", but showing support and empathy for the challenges of all.

An "ask me anything" does not give license to be disrespectful. There is a difference between genuine, respectful questions based on curiosity and those which are grandstanding or rhetorical with the intention of pushing a negative agenda. Yes there is such a thing as free speech, but as a forum we have the ability to set expectations regarding the content we want in our community. As Jerry Springer used to say at the end of each episode, "be good to yourselves, and each other."

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

cloudxcrash (06-09-2017),Foxglove (06-09-2017),kadoatie (06-12-2017),kittyray (06-09-2017),Raylu (06-09-2017),Saturn (06-09-2017),Spurs (06-09-2017),Synth Salazzle (06-09-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    I know this thread is meant to be a place where you can safely ask honest questions about the LGBTQ+ experience, but I read this really insightful personal post on Refinery 29 about what Gay Pride parades signified for this one guy and it made me think of this thread:

When it comes to Gay Pride Parades, I believe it's about celebrating being able to be yourself without the fear of judgement from others nagging constantly at the back of your mind. And in particular, many members of the LGBTQIA+ community have at some point felt the need to "hide" a part of themselves... what I mean is, the perception is that a lot of the time, if you don't want to get inadvertently labeled as "the trans guy" or "the lesbian" and want to be seen for who you are (beyond that part of yourself), you'd have to hide that part of your identity.

I feel like this is a concept that any of us should be able to easily grasp... Disclaimer: this is only an analogy, and as Neopets players we obviously don't endure nearly as much stigma as the LGBTQIA+ community generally experiences, but it just reminds me of how people are often nervous to reveal to their real life friends/acquaintances/strangers that they play Neopets/spend money on Neopets/whatever, because then you'll be THAT person who plays Neopets at 20 or whatever. Except imagine that not only were you THAT person who plays Neopets at 20 (and that's subsequently what everybody labels you as and they never get to know you beyond that label), but you're also being told that playing Neopets at this age is a disease, that you're sinning, that you're going to go to hell for playing Neopets as an adult, etc.

And the thing is, playing Neopets as an adult ISN'T a moral transgression, and there isn't a moral transgression at play when someone is gay. I think a lot of people out there believe that what's "right and wrong" and what's "moral" is based on what their authorities say, and what the law says, and what preexisting ideologies say.
    (I've seen the law thing so many times: "It's against the law, so it's WRONG!" but then what about the actions of Martin Luther King, Jr., Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, and so many others? Sometimes the law and present-day social conventions are unfair and unjust, and it takes a discerning mind to be able to see that.)
    I think there's an even higher moral standard that you can hold yourself to, and that's a personal or universal set of ethical principles which transcends time and cultures, one which doesn't threaten the well-being or livelihood or rights of others and doesn't judge inferiority or superiority based on in-group/out-group membership.

I don't know if this helps anyone understand or sympathize better with what the community has to go through. I'm definitely no authority on the subject, I myself am a straight cis female (translation: not LGBTQIA etc etc etc), and everything I know comes from reading about and exposing myself to different perspectives, trying to place myself in their shoes, and coming to understand, empathize, and sympathize.

Here's an honest question, though: Do you feel I got some things wrong (maybe in my understanding of x y or z?) I'm always really interested in learning more about people's personal experiences and perspectives on the world!
    Last edited by Foxglove; 06-09-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: people's, not peoples'... I always get that wrong (and childrens' instead of children's, too lol)

Pronouns
    he/him, she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m

results of generalising lgbt people: verbal threats and insults, physical assault, murder, mass shootings, denial of human rights, possibility of being fired or rejected from a job based on your sexuality or gender identity, living every day of your life in anxiety and fear over what might happen to you, your partner or people close to you

results of generalising straighties: tough "lul" man kite is upset on a neopets forum, thinks his experience is the same and comparable as that of actually harassed lgbt people

and that my friends sums things up, i think. straight people are so used to their privilege they can't even imagine life outside of it, and thus cannot empathise. in most cases, they don't even try to empathise - instead they just want to scream louder, "WE HAVE PROBLEMS TOO!! YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL!". i'm not gonna try to make you understand, if you've come this far in life and still refuse to see, you're the one who needs to take the blinds off your eyes. nty glt, lul.

uwu

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raylu For This Useful Post:

Mindfang (06-09-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Raychu View Post
    results of generalising lgbt people: verbal threats and insults, physical assault, murder, mass shootings, denial of human rights, possibility of being fired or rejected from a job based on your sexuality or gender identity, living every day of your life in anxiety and fear over what might happen to you, your partner or people close to you

results of generalising straighties: tough "lul" man kite is upset on a neopets forum, thinks his experience is the same and comparable as that of actually harassed lgbt people

and that my friends sums things up, i think. straight people are so used to their privilege they can't even imagine life outside of it, and thus cannot empathise. in most cases, they don't even try to empathise - instead they just want to scream louder, "WE HAVE PROBLEMS TOO!! YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL!". i'm not gonna try to make you understand, if you've come this far in life and still refuse to see, you're the one who needs to take the blinds off your eyes. nty glt, lul.
    As I said, generalising straight people isn't good to do either. While I, and many others, may not have experienced the negatives in the same way that LGBT+ may have, that does not mean we cannot empathise. Sometimes allies/supporters are listed in the "+" of the abbreviation. We don't have to be gay to be able to care about the people and appreciate the culture, and champion for the rights. Small example, but when I first started at my current school (blue collar rural town), "gay" was the most common insult that kids would use. Not anymore. They know that Ms [Bacchus] is a hard-ass about it. It took a little while, but they adapted. Baby steps in the grand scheme of things, but the point is the same- in generalising your allies in the same breath as your haters is pretty bullshit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (06-09-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Also about the questions of why this thread even exists... I'd first refer you to Bacchus's post above, which touches on how this isn't a matter of how one group's problems are bigger/more special/more important than yours

But also, a lot of Pride events are happening this month (even Old School Runescape's got a pride event this year... if you don't believe that the LGBTQ+ community is victim to an incredible amount of hate and discrimination in the present-day, just go to their Subreddit and you can see ALL the homophobia and hate in all its fresh glory), so the thread is pretty temporally relevant. Of course, that's not to say that LGBTQ+ issues aren't relevant or worth talking about year-round (they are).
    Last edited by Foxglove; 06-09-2017 at 07:11 AM.