Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What movies have been better than the book they're based on?

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    101d 19h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m
    I personally think the Cat in the Hat movie was way better than the book.

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat Purrson For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (05-19-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    172 times
    Time Online
    30d 15h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulante View Post
    King: "Why are people more disturbed by that part than the child murders?"

Me: "...because the child murders are portrayed as an unambiguously bad thing with no positive consequences, and don't come across as self-indulgence on the part of the author."
    Damn, yes, this. So much this. I wonder if this was published now if it would have been re-worked. I like to think it would have, but King's present works largely get published to this day with little to no editing so who even knows.

I had to do a double take reading that like... WAIT is this actually happening right now.

thank you to hearts for my pumpkin, Lyrichord for my userbar, and Great White North for my snail ryu!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    5d 4h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    It's not a movie but rather a series, but hear me out: The Haunting of Hill House.

The Netflix series is phenomenal. I've watched it four times now and I'm still not tired of it. I adore that thing. So naturally when I had the chance to read the book last October I was thrilled... It sucked. I was 40% in and there still hadn't been a sign of a haunting anywhere! While I enjoyed finding quotes they used in the series, the characters felt like caricatures to me and I just could not get into it. I knew the story was very different going in so that wasn't the issue (love the 1996 movie too for nostalgia reasons, but I wouldn't say it's GOOD haha). It just didn't do it for me.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    16d 10h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Breaking Dawn part 2. Hear me out lol.
    The entire book is spent with the Cullens and their friends preparing for this big showdown with the Volturi over Regurgitation's existence. They gather all these cool ally vamps with all these cool powers and spend months training. And then... the Volturi come and nothing happens. So anticlimactic.

The writer/director of the movie were geniuses though, because they found a way to show the big battle scene without it breaking canon. I remember going to theaters as a teen and absolutely freaking out watching this epic battle, thinking they were changing the events of the book. It was an unexpected twist, in a good way. Every death was super shocking and unpredictable and it was actually a very cinematically appealing, dramatic sequence. But it was still canon, because it ended up being Alice's vision, which does happen in the books even though we don't get details on what it entails. Honestly, bravo.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
    Custom userbar/avvie by the lovely @(you need an account to see links)

Beautiful starbirb Ryu, Meteion, by the talented @(you need an account to see links)!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    4d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I haven't reread the series in awhile, but at one point I thought the show Vampire Dairies was better than the books. I do remember reading something about the author wanting to take a different route with the show but it's been a hot minute. They were pretty different from each other early on. I did not finish the show so take it with a grain of salt!

I agree with everyone else saying Twilight as well lol.

“Im a Potato,”

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    10h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I recently watched The Devil Wears Prada, which was a decently enjoyable movie. Looking at some reviews for the books, it seems that they changed a lot from the book -- and a lot of these changes made the story and characters more cohesive and palatable in the adaptation.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    4d 16h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Practical Magic.

Fantastic movie. Childhood favorite. I recently tried reading it but it is really quite different from the movies. I might try again so I can read the prequel and get more historical context but.. I guess we'll see.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Purrson View Post
    I personally think the Cat in the Hat movie was way better than the book.
    YES!!!! It was actually a good and fun story to extend from the short premise of the book. Mike Myers really up'd the ante to make the Cat feel fantastical and Dr. Seuss-y. I also loved the addition of the Alec Baldwin character and the mom's manager that goes YOU'RE FIIIIIRRRRED lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    42d 5h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulante View Post
    King: "Why are people more disturbed by that part than the child murders?"

Me: "...because the child murders are portrayed as an unambiguously bad thing with no positive consequences, and don't come across as self-indulgence on the part of the author."
    honestly having read that book the description is so robotic that I do not think it was for wank material. I do think it was a genuine narrative choice he decided to go with to show that they have become more mature since their first encounter with pennywise. Especially since King hasn't done anything remotely similar since I just think it was a byproduct of being on coke for like 15 years lol

that being said its a horrible scene and a horrible idea. I just don't think he's a pedo

as for books better than movies. I wouldn't say better but I do think Knock at the Cabin as a movie is on par with the book. both are very very good in their own ways

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    this is probably going to catch some flak. personlly i think Holes was a better movie than the book. Sure it may be missing some things but if it werent for that movie we wouldnt have the "its too da** bad" meme.

The acting was phenomenal id say and the love interest between kissin kate and sam had me emotional as a child. id say 8/10 movie it went hard for its time.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

♥ Cerberus ♥ (06-03-2023),♥ lint ♥ (01-28-2024),Madara (05-23-2023)