Thread: So guys, I need a bit of advice.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m

So guys, I need a bit of advice.

Soooooooo..... I'm pretty much a professional student. I graduated chemical engineering, and then I furthered into pharmaceutical food sciences. I took a couple jobs, and they didn't work out and yea. My science career has kind of been at a stall. I have had interviews at nuclear power plants, and labs, but no luck with jobs that are worth taking. Either its insultingly low pay or I don't get it.

After being VERY discouraged from the sciences, I started a business degree. I took a fast track and was exempted with many classes (because lets face it lol, engineering is way more intense), and I just grew bored of business..... so I dropped it last year.

I'm 27 right now, and I am leaning towards police foundatons. I know its a bit odd to start but I'm a soccer player of 24 years, and I'm in good shape. Is it too late? or do you have another suggestion for me?

Also, alternatively, if any ontario people are hiring for my background experience, let me know haha.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    37d 22h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I�d say go for it my friend! It�s never too late! Be happy where ever you are, that�s most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreams For This Useful Post:

Bettser (04-16-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Look into OPP. They like people with life experience instead of some kid fresh out of high school who can simply lift some weights.

If your still interested in Policing and not afraid to move check out out the RCMP. They hire civilians for forensic lab work as well as accepting new officers which can then lead to the drug force-based on sciences and pharma background it could work out.

Also. I work for a big pharma name. Look into pharma developers since you took chemical engineering and have experience in pharmaceutical field...Teva, Purdue, Gilead, Pfizer, Novartis, Roche, Sanofi.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Bettser (04-20-2018)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Just move to Australia. We're always looking for qualified professionals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Bettser (04-20-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m
    @(you need an account to see links)

OPP is where I am looking actually. I have a few friends who work for them and they absolutely love it. Ill give you a mail about the pharmaceutical company once I figure out what I'm doing but I'm not sure how long I could stand working in a laboratory again haha.
    @(you need an account to see links) lol thats every Canadians last resort. "No jobs here in Canada, peace. Moving to Aussie"

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    35/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I'm pretty sure the job market is just shit unless you go into health care in which they are always needing people. My mom works at one of the major universities in Ontario. She's retiring soon and they needed to replace her, it's too bad this wasn't earlier D:, there was a pretty good position in the science department.

I think police force would be a good option if you think it'd be something you'd enjoy, but at this point, I'd jump on any opportunity you can get your hands on!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I just looked up if there is a maximum age for police officers - you're in luck - there's none!
    seeing that you have extensive education and you said you're fit I dont see any reasons why you wouldn't make it unless you have criminal ties or records?
    it's not too late!

(you need an account to see links)

Disqualifiers
    While specific disqualifiers vary from department to department, any of the items listed below may disqualify you from police service. Agencies use their discretion when reviewing past infractions. Some come with a sliding time limit that may adjust based on the severity of the crime. For example, marijuana use once in college 10 years ago might not be disqualifying, but marijuana use 10 days ago probably would. Please keep in mind that departments have different requirements. If you are found to be unsuitable for one department, there may be other departments which find you suitable. Following are some typical disqualifiers:
    Felony conviction (adult or juvenile)
    A misdemeanor conviction involving domestic abuse or a sexual component
    Illegal drug use
    Poor driving record (including reckless driving conviction)
    DWI/DUI conviction
    Poor credit history or other financial problems

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    710 times
    Time Online
    157d 10h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Any interest in Pharmacology? Just with your education background I wonder if some of it would be transferrable. I know at least in Alberta pharmacists are in high demand.

My husband was in a similar boat to you. He did multiple degrees/programs to the point where I thought he would never get a career. But he found his love for firefighting at the end of it all and got on full time when he was 26. So I wouldn’t say 27 is too late. There were people in his class into their 30s. So if police sparks your interest see if you can do a ride along and check it out.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    20d 19h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    If you're interested in high-paying jobs, have you applied to Bruce Power in Saugeen Shores? They're doing a re-furb in September and hiring on tons of people. Pay starts at $30+ an hour.

------------------------------
    John Cena Cat

Buff cena cat by @honeycomb

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    29d 3h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I'm afraid I can't offer great advices (21yo college student here) but I have one very important thing to say: it's never too late.
    I know that from experience, I finished high schools being 20 years old, and I started college despite all all criticism and prejudice.

Just do whatever your heart desires, if you don't give up then it will work out. You seem like a pretty awesome guy.
    I only wish you the best of luck!