Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by birdies View Post
    Some discussion of morbid news reporting / what exactly happens in an underwater implosion below.

If you really want to see what happens in a pressure related implosion the Byford Dolphin decompression accident is probably closest to what happened. (WARNING, it's graphic so don't google unless you're ok with that)
    you can call me pix

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    40d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    This is the first time I learned about how implosion works and it sounds horrifying. I can't imagine being stuck underwater in a dark place with freezing temperatures. I think they have died by now and I wish my condolences to them and their family but also can't help but feel a bit disappointed that so many resources and media attention instantly befell upon the billionaires but the ship near Greece with migrants that sunk couldn't have the same. Really horrible for both parties to experience so much death and tragic loss.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cerberus For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (06-22-2023),Cherubi (06-22-2023),Ghast (06-22-2023),Ice (06-22-2023),Mothman (06-22-2023),♥ pppp3 ♥ (06-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    332 times
    Time Online
    127d 3h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 15m
    I only heard about this after a coworker mentioned it to me today and realized I had seen a thread about it on cK.

I genuinely wish I could find this shocking but I'm cynical to the bone about corporations cutting corners on safety to save a buck. I've been haunted for years by a write up on the Verrückt tragedy at Schlitterbahn in 2016. For those unfamiliar, Schlitterbahn is a water park in the U.S. and the Verrückt a water slide attraction that was opened without proper safety due diligence done during its construction. Complaints about minor injuries and equipment integrity went ignored until a 10 year old boy was killed by decapitation on it two years after it opened. (you need an account to see links).

It's unspeakably horrible that this stuff happens at all, but let alone after warnings that go ignored. I'm so sorry for all the people aboard that submarine, company CEO excluded because sounds like he was real culpable in this tragedy. I agree with the rest of y'all, at least it seems like they went out the fast way rather than the slowly suffering way.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

♥ Cerberus ♥ (06-22-2023),Ice (06-22-2023)

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    103d 16h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    This is the first time I learned about how implosion works and it sounds horrifying. I can't imagine being stuck underwater in a dark place with freezing temperatures. I think they have died by now and I wish my condolences to them and their family but also can't help but feel a bit disappointed that so many resources and media attention instantly befell upon the billionaires but the ship near Greece with migrants that sunk couldn't have the same. Really horrible for both parties to experience so much death and tragic loss.
    I agree it is pretty wild how much media attention this is getting yet there's so many people going missing everyday and no one talks about it. I wish the media covered missing children like they did with this case.

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cat Purrson For This Useful Post:

Alister (06-22-2023),♥ Cerberus ♥ (06-22-2023),♥ foxe ♥ (06-22-2023),Lyrichord (06-22-2023),Mothman (06-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    8d 17h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    It's sad it happened, yet at the same time, you'd have to pay me money to get in that thing...

The saddest is that the 19 y/o originally didn't want to get on the submersible, but joined his father who wanted him to come along because it was a Father's Day event, according to his aunt
    At least the two explorers were prepared to have an untimely death, but the kid would've had years ahead of him still.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by birdies View Post
    Some discussion of morbid news reporting / what exactly happens in an underwater implosion below.

- - - Updated - - -

Two of the men who died, including the teenager, were Pakistani, their family did a lot of charity work for the Pakistani community in the UK. One was a very deeply esteemed oceanographer who had previously served 20 years in the navy as a diver helping to clear mines. One was an explorer who also had a keep interest in animal conservation. People are complicated. I don't believe anyone should be a billionaire and I certainly feel that tragedies involving migrants and refugees should get twice the cover this did, but I don't think we need to say anyone's lives weren't of value.
    deffs not saying their lives were meaningless i'm just saying i find it hard to have swathes of empathy for these uber rich billionaires doing dangerous shit for fun. especially when so many other tragic things are happening around the world every day. no one becomes that wealthy ethically... even a quick google search of the various victims, one was chairman of a huge fertilizer company that's leaked gas and poisoned the earth/ water sources of small communities.. so i don't really care if he's done charity work. the company he worked for is evil. i do feel empathy for the human life lost in such a tragic way, but there's also bigger thing happening and i don't care about billionaires
    you can call me pix

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pppp3 For This Useful Post:

Ice (06-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    26d 2h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    I just read (you need an account to see links) about how the CEO of Oceangate's wife was Wendy Rush, who is descended from two famous passengers who died on the Titanic, helping other people to safety. Their story was featured in a scene from the Titanic movie, theyre the old couple holding each other as the water rushes around them:

(you need an account to see links)

Its so sad how many lives keep getting lost to this ship.

◞ thank you @KJiU for my Sunflower scene + @kittyray for my lion!

Profile Picture by Lyricchord & Signature from /~Stoffig

Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    31d 20h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    This whole situation has been so horrifying and, to echo what others said above, I really feel for the kid who was "guilted" into going. Can you imagine!? He had his whole life ahead of him. I also saw the video of the tour of the submarine and was just... in shock that anyone willingly (much less PAID a quarter of a million dollars) participated in this.

That being said, I wish we got as much media coverage of the migrants and refugees who also suffered tragedy only a few days ago. So horrifying and so many lives lost, and NOT by choice. (you need an account to see links)

Not to hi-jack but I just wish non-billionaires who are very literally suffering for a crumb of quality of life got this much coverage and attention for larger-scale change.

thank you Lyrichord for the amazing avatar!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goodnightmoon For This Useful Post:

Ice (06-22-2023),♥ pppp3 ♥ (06-22-2023)

Pronouns
    🦕☄️🌃
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    162 times
    Time Online
    59d 17h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 21m
    I just think that some things (especially underwater) should be left the fuck alone.

Everytime I see someone mention the Titanic I think of a curse - Because NOTHING good comes out of it trying to get there.

I really feel for that teenager who didn't want to go (& knew his gut was probably screaming at him it was a bad idea). I get wanting to do fathers day shit with your dad but parents need to listen to their kids instead of forcing them to do shit with them (the parents)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Totodile For This Useful Post:

Cocobutter (06-24-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    53d 3h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    46m
    This whole thing has been very sad to follow. Following it reminded me of when I followed the missing Malaysian Airlines flight from a while back - it boils down to morbid curiosity for me… not the expense of the lives lost of course, but the terror of experiencing it and the curiosity of the science behind some of these instances. I also did not know how implosion really worked before this and upon researching I found out and it scares me. Not that I will ever be an instance like this, but… it is chilling.

I do feel for the families of those lost and am especially saddened to hear of the boy who joined his father as a son and father bonding trip. As someone who is interested in historical events I can see the desire to want to explore something like the Titanic wreckage, but it is just not safe (as proven here) and the corners cut and safety precautions avoided prior to the launch of the vessel is saddening.
    Last edited by Ghast; 06-22-2023 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Edited my wording.

userbar by lyrichord and drawings by wooloo, hollow, honeycomb, & sugarbee, respectively
    thank you all!
    happy happy SUMMER