Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can someone tl:dr me what's happening in the UK?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    8d 19h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by masterwolfe View Post
    I wonder if they were to revote now, since everyone found out Farage and Co. lied about the money, if the vote would still go the same way. Was the immigration issue really the deciding factor?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    One poll- take this with a pinch of salt as it was just 12k people- showed 79 percent of Brits who thought immigration was a "force for good" voted "Remain," while 80 percent of Brits who thought it was a "force for ill" voted "Leave."

From personal experience though, the above is very true. The people I spoke to who voted leave (almost everyone I know; I'm uneducated and working class so the people I know generally fall into this group too) all cited immigration as the big motive for voting to leave. Sad to say, for many it was the ONLY consideration in their decision. Which is kinda short-sighted when you look at the large number of other factors involved.

In contrast, the few who wanted to remain were either pro-immigration or nonplussed on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Discord
    Also, how can Great Britain simply close themselves to EU? It's not like EU will be "ok, fine, you leave us but we are still good friends", hell no!
    I feel that our relationship with the rest of Europe has always been one of distance. I agree though, the EU is not gonna go easy on us otherwise it could trigger fallouts from the other membership countries. People seem to assume we can walk away with the single market, without the free movement of people, basically have our cake and eat it. If this happens then Boris and co would be incredible negotiators and should probably focus on world peace or something.

Quote Originally Posted by vj87
    Cornwall voters are taking the piss slightly here by the looks of it xD
    Bless the Cornish, they can be a bit bonkers, some of them genuinely believe Cornwall should be an independent nation. The entitlement is hilarious... "yeah, we voted out, but we want things to stay exactly the same way, keep us rolling in gold please, you did promise, ty."

This is comedy gold: (you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    64d 22h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Yes, basicly, the British decided that immigration and independence is more important than their own economy, not to mention the future of their own country. What UK accomplished by voting leave is removing their own voice within the European Parliament while still having to abide a majority of the EU laws. They also most likely gave Scotland the push needed in order to vote independence from UK. In other words, UK shot their own foot. I'm not surprised though, after voting leave they had to go home and Google "What is the EU?" and that really speaks a lot about why the voting ended the way it did.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cloudxcrash For This Useful Post:

Ban (06-25-2016),FWD (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    403/1
    Mentioned
    734 times
    Time Online
    120d 8h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    You guys are basically fucked. Japan stopped investing at all in the UK, more probably to follow.
    Y'all will have to start from scratch, get new deals :/
    It will be complicated, but it can be done
    We all know the UK can't stand on it's own market though. I wouldn't be surprised if UK the fell down some positions in the richest countries of the world list too :s

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    8d 19h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    @(you need an account to see links)
    You guys are basically fucked. Japan stopped investing at all in the UK, more probably to follow.
    Y'all will have to start from scratch, get new deals :/
    It will be complicated, but it can be done
    We all know the UK can't stand on it's own market though. I wouldn't be surprised if UK the fell down some positions in the richest countries of the world list too :s

Nah, you're totally wrong, the brexit supporters on my FB feed tell me that we're all golden, first day of exit wasn't bad at all. We've magicked up the necessary industry/supplies/people and don't need to import nuthin'.

The world will keep turning, sure, and ENG-GER-LAND (as it's henceforth known) will plod on.

But the mood here has definitely changed, as I said in my original post I could probably be more positive if there wasn't such anti-immigrant undertones, it doesn't feel very British at all to me. Was always quite proud of our tolerance and diversity, definitely didn't expect to feel this disheartened by the whole thing.

Ha, watch us now as we negotiate to join the single market and have to accept EU workers/regulations in return, basically back to square one but shitloads poorer.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWD For This Useful Post:

Ban (06-25-2016),Saitama (06-25-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    457 times
    Time Online
    55d 22h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Not from the UK but a couple of my thoughts. Sorry it's going to be long xD

-->They're saying in the regions that voted to stay, there was lower voter turnout. This is what happens when you don't vote. Many people were so confident staying would win and their vote didn't matter anyways that they didn't bother to vote. Well now you have to deal with the aftermath. This is a perfect example of what will happen in the US come November elections if people don't wake up and realize they DO have to vote.

-->The two major reasons I've heard repeated over and over again are anti-immigration and to save the NHS. So yes you can now limit who goes in and out of your country. That also includes workers that you need in your economy. And screws your citizen's ability to work and study outside of the UK. Connecting this to the NHS, 10% of the workers in NHS are EU immigrants. That's a lot of people. So you may have screwed the NHS even without looking at the money that Farage promised and now isn't happening.

-->Sovereignty. Pulling up Donald Trump's really really stupid tweet from Scotland about the UK reclaiming itself. I was listening to NPR and this woman said she voted to leave because she didn't want to rules imposed by the EU. She's just one example, but leaving the EU doesn't change having to follow rules from outside organizations. You still have NATO, UN, and a whole bunch of other agreements that the UK still has to follow. The UK still going to have to interact with countries in the EU, and follow EU rules because otherwise those countries can't make agreements with you. Overall it'll have less power because there will be less leeway and the UK won't be able to drive EU policy and rules. My example of Switzerland, which isn't an EU member, but has to follow the rules very tightly and has to pay a high fee regardless to be able to trade within the EU.

-->Free trade. One thing with EU membership is that you don't play tariffs to EU member countries, and about 50 other countries that they've made agreements with. Tariff's play a huge part in trade. Now the UK is going to have to pay tariffs and follow regulations on anything exported into those countries where they don't have trade agreements with. It'll make companies think twice about producing stuff in the UK, especially with larger products, when they could produce it in a country with EU membership. That 8 billion that the UK spends in EU membership does a lot of things, and people aren't considering it all. They just see the price tag and think they could do without it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana For This Useful Post:

cloudxcrash (06-25-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    64d 22h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    Pulling up Donald Trump's really really stupid tweet from Scotland about the UK reclaiming itself.
    Oh oh oh I just read about this! Can we take a moment to appreciate the beautiful replies from the Scots?

Warning: Strong language~

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cloudxcrash For This Useful Post:

Ana (06-25-2016),DJ Music Man (06-25-2016),Foxglove (06-25-2016),Hel (06-25-2016),Saitama (06-25-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    457 times
    Time Online
    55d 22h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudAcara View Post
    Oh oh oh I just read about this! Can we take a moment to appreciate the beautiful replies from the Scots?

Warning: Strong language~
    They have the most amazing swear words. I'm in love.

And here's a couple more ( i think one's a repeat)

Pronouns
    he/they/she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    30d 11h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I choked while laughing at the Scottish tweets. LOL

Yo, but honestly, I'm still scrambling to get what's going on, and worse, I fear for both the UK and the rest of the EU about that. England was the biggest contender in Europe against Putin and Russia, now you get a bunch of weak-knee people and idiots left there.