DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    157d 2h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 22m
    Are people in your country also always late.

Yes.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soap For This Useful Post:

♥ foxe ♥ (05-26-2023),Ice (05-26-2023),kittyray (05-26-2023),Polorin (05-26-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Panda View Post
    In my country being late is like, part of the culture. I like to be be very punctual so it can be very frustrating when everyone tends to come in late, but you get used to it XD.

Like this one time, me and my friends went to see a stand up comedian. The event was supposed to start at 8. The opening sketch started like at 9:30, and it wasn't performed by the main comedian we went to see. He ended up getting on stage around 11 pm. Same thing happens with concerts or any other big event.

Even with parties or friend gatherings, it's a non-written rule that you never arrive at the time the party starts. The right time to arrive is at least 1 or two hours AFTER lol.
    That would honestly drive me crazy… like to me that’s just rude to be that late and expect everyone else to go along with that timeline. Especially for something like a comedy show omg.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

phantasia (05-26-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    669 times
    Time Online
    210d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 31m
    I've heard this talked about as a "warm climate culture" vs "cold climate culture" where the colder it is, the more punctual things are going to be, and the more time is going to be valued heavily.

Where I live, 5-10 minutes early is considered on time. When I'm just meeting with friends, my personal clock runs about 5 minutes slow, unless I know we're arriving at x time to watch a movie.

I can't imagine having that in a classroom! Personally I think professors should just start, with 2-3 minutes of course related chat at the beginning, so people can get settled and focus. If students miss something, it's on them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Dot (05-26-2023),Polorin (05-26-2023)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    134 times
    Time Online
    245d 5h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 24m
    On my friend group there was someone who always came in super late so if we were going to meet at 16:00 we'd tell her the meeting was an hour early so she'd get on time

I'd say most of us arrive on time/a little early (cold climate here)

Userbar by ♥ Infected ♥ - Watercolor clefairy by ♥ Wooloo ♥ - Wink cle/avatar art by ♥ DankRUSE ♥ - Pumpkin cle by ♥ hearts ♥

Icon by ♥ mothman ♥ / ♥ sugarbee (heart cle) ♥

Zenitsu has best cookiez

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clefairy For This Useful Post:

Polorin (05-26-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    14d 23h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I'm from Bulgaria, that's Eastern Europe, and it's complicated People don't like when you're late (in general) and there isn't a culture supporting being late. But being 5 minutes late is something considered absolutely normal. We enjoy jokes about the punctuality of German and Swiss people, for example, as well as the normality of being late in other countries. Nobody will wait for you, if you arrive 30 minutes late for example. At the same time, I'm yet to attend a play for example (I don't even mention concerts, it's another level) that starts on time. Public transportation is NEVER on time. Waiting for you doctor even if you've booked an appointment, is considered the norm. So... go figure

I now live in a country in Western Europe, very close in spirit to Germany. I was expecting punctuality. Nope. Buses are late and it's so normal, deadlines for new buildings or civil engineering works are never met... It drives me crazy.
    Last edited by nousha; 05-26-2023 at 03:15 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nousha For This Useful Post:

phantasia (05-27-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Soap View Post
    Are people in your country also always late.

Yes.
    SAME
    I hate the stress of being late but also my adhd brain cannot help but be a little late. If I plan a lot of extra padding time to get there early I still get distracted and wind up late lmao

Can confirm that my family and all our family friends do run on @(you need an account to see links)'s asian time though lol

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Houndoom For This Useful Post:

Ice (05-26-2023),Soap (05-27-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her 🌙
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    15d 15h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrichord View Post
    I've heard this talked about as a "warm climate culture" vs "cold climate culture" where the colder it is, the more punctual things are going to be, and the more time is going to be valued heavily.

Where I live, 5-10 minutes early is considered on time. When I'm just meeting with friends, my personal clock runs about 5 minutes slow, unless I know we're arriving at x time to watch a movie.

I can't imagine having that in a classroom! Personally I think professors should just start, with 2-3 minutes of course related chat at the beginning, so people can get settled and focus. If students miss something, it's on them.
    never heard about that before but for some reason it makes sense. even thinking about my country, when i think about punctuality i would guess the states in the south (where it's cooler) are better at this. it's interesting how nature can influence something like that.

well, i had a professor in university who was usually 1hour late everyday. he once showed up 2hours late. many students thought he wouldn't arrive so they returned home by then. they were marked as absent. xD
    that was a really terrible professor and i'm just telling this because that reminded me of that occasion. i don't think he should be used as an example, haha. that was too much, even for a country where people are usually late

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    surprisingly Australia seems to be a pretty punctual country. Especially in the morning culture cities like Brissy where everyone’s up early and everything closes at like 6.

Or maybe it’s because everything takes so long to get to. Who’s to say

keen to hear if anyone’s had a different experience in other parts? Not something I’ve really thought about (I am the annoying late person)

was that worth it?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to foxe For This Useful Post:

Soap (05-27-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    9d 1h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    It does very much depend on culture. While being excessively/chronically late is bad, it's culture that decides if it's impolite or not and where the lateness cutoff line is.

In European/Western/some Eastern cultures:

Making someone wait is traditionally a "power move", usually by the dominant party over a weaker party.

Making someone wait on your pleasure is a way of showing power. See the film trope of anyone being called into the boss'/principal/parent's office and then having to stand there nervously while they finish whatever little thing going on their desk (signing a document, finishing some sort of counting, whatever). The boss can make you wait, what are *you* going to do about it, you nobody? The person being forced to wait is the subordinate one.

[In the bad professor example, above that's a professor who is either utterly burned out (had one like that, for a 2 hour class, showed up 20 minutes late "lectured" for 30 minutes, then let everyone out), or really does think teaching is beneath them to begin with and resents students (had another one like that, super punctual, but also locked the door behind her as she rolled in, often a couple of minutes early, as she decided students should've been in the room at least 10 minutes before her -she didn't last, obviously)]

You can sometimes see this as a red flag in job interviews (esp. in the U.S.) where they will make a candidate wait around 30min-1hr past their interview timing to "see" how desperate a candidate is for a job that they'll tolerate their time being wasted.

In other cultures, like some Native American ones:

Waiting is an exercise of patience and being patient shows respect for the other person's time or commitments as well as showing that you have the time to spend in that position. The person waiting is in a slightly higher position of power because they are the ones sacrificing for the slow/late other person. Consequently, because the culture is more community-based, no one tries to be late, but there's wiggle room in-between not being a bad sport by being impatient, but not in being irresponsible by being excessively late. (Bear in mind though, this can vary very much across tribal bands, esp modernized/westernized ones because they've had to adjust to current living practices, but this is the most very general cultural tendency).

In some equatorial South American regions:

Where the afternoon break /"siesta" still sort of exists, as you get close to siesta-time early in the day, you may see a slow-down, increase in slowness/ lateness because no one wants to be in the middle of something and lose that bit of cultural/capitalist allowed leisure time. Even in countries that no longer are able to do the siesta break, the cultural echo of it is there, so expect a slow-down of service/long lunches around midday regardless, Also, it's way too hot to be in a hurry during that time of day in summer. In compensation, however, things pick up after that 2-3 hour break and then run later into the evening (in Mexico).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PabstBlueRibbon For This Useful Post:

phantasia (05-27-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by nousha View Post
    I'm from Bulgaria, that's Eastern Europe, and it's complicated People don't like when you're late (in general) and there isn't a culture supporting being late. But being 5 minutes late is something considered absolutely normal. We enjoy jokes about the punctuality of German and Swiss people, for example, as well as the normality of being late in other countries. Nobody will wait for you, if you arrive 30 minutes late for example. At the same time, I'm yet to attend a play for example (I don't even mention concerts, it's another level) that starts on time. Public transportation is NEVER on time. Waiting for you doctor even if you've booked an appointment, is considered the norm. So... go figure

I now live in a country in Western Europe, very close in spirit to Germany. I was expecting punctuality. Nope. Buses are late and it's so normal, deadlines for new buildings or civil engineering works are never met... It drives me crazy.
    To be fair, having buses be on time is very difficult. No one can predict traffic, weather conditions, etc.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)