Thread: some questions about changing my username...

Pronouns
    she/her 🌙
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    15d 15h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

some questions about changing my username...

i'm not very fond of changing usernames constantly because i know it makes it harder for people to find you... so, since i'm still kinda new here, i was thinking that if i want to do that, it would be better to do it now than waiting any longer... however, i haven't made my mind yet, haha. i mean, i like polorin, but i guess it might be hard to pronunciante it? idk, lol

so, i haven't even tried it yet and just wanted to make sure of two things before doing anything...

1 - is it possible to use a name that is already being used? i'm thinking about "Katarina", which is the name of this character in my signature and avatar. i tried the advanced search and i think there is already someone with that username. i mean, i noticed we all have usernames, but also have id numbers, so that would differentiate us, wouldn't it?
    my second option would be the character's full name, katarina claes, but then i'm not really sure if that's any better than polorin tbh, haaha. i have to think about it a bit more.

2 - i have a (you need an account to see links) which the title has my username polorin written in it. in case i do change the username, is it possible to edit it? of course, i know i can just close that one and create a new thread... i just don't want to, idk, clutter up the forum with multiple threads that are essentially the same thing.

well, if katarina is not possible (i believe that's the case tbh, haha), would anyone have any ideas on what other username i could use? should i keep polorin? or maybe i could try a variation as "katarine"? or should i use her nickname "bakarina"? hahaha. it would be great to hear some opinions on that too. ^^

edit: i just realized we tag people by name... and i always tag people with lowercase and it still works... so i guess i already have my answer for the first question, hahaha. ^^'
    but i would still want to know some opinions on this username change!
    Last edited by Polorin; 04-10-2023 at 08:27 PM.

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    1. I don't believe that vBulletin allows you to change your username to one that's already in use (even though user IDs are distinct). Joe or Bat would know for sure!

2. When you decide on a new username, you can DM Bat, Joe, or myself and we can change your thread title for you.

Good luck with your decision!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

j03 (04-11-2023),Polorin (04-11-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    203 times
    Time Online
    41d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    @(you need an account to see links) ,this is what i think haha. Firstly the full name "katarina claes" seems to be too long and Katarine drifts off the chart somehow.
    Hence i think you only have 3 viable options left which is the following:

1) polorin is still polorin
    I actually find polorin more unique than katarina, using a game term to compare them polorin is like a UR whereas katarina is a SR for me haha.
    But in the shoes of the person's favourite character that name will always be irreplaceable.

2) bakarina
    TBH i find it more interesting than katarina. You can also combo with the baka ub color.

3) K to C - Catarina
    For this i'm not sure if its taken you can check on it. But i believe K & C are both the same as C is Japanese / K is English.
    Katarina - should be for the global / english side
    Catarina - i believe its the romaji off カタリナ as its C instead of K .

Good luck with your decision! (Ctrl c+ Ctrl V from Flordibel)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Flordibel (04-11-2023),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (04-11-2023),howdy (04-11-2023),Polorin (04-11-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her 🌙
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    15d 15h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    @(you need an account to see links), thank you so much. i'll send you a dm if i end up deciding to change it. ^^

@(you need an account to see links), thank you for the insights! that's really helpful. ♥

i agree that "katarina claes" is a bit too long and "katarine" sounds awkward. i was considering "katharina" or "katarinna" instead. even though "katharina" doesn't read the same, it might be a more recognizable spelling? reminds of katherine, at least.

after you said "bakarina" would be a better choice, i really started to warm up to it, haha. it's true to her character because that's how the fans call her, and it's also unique... the only downside is that there's no shorthand like "kat", which is something i was taking into consideration.
    well, the baka ub is something i should start working on even if i decide to keep polorin, tbh, hahaha. that's a must!

i'm quite impressed katarina is taken but catarina is not! you're right they are almost interchangeable... even realized that here in my country some people translate her name with a "c" and not a "k"...
    however... for some personal reasons i would rather avoid using that name. ):

ps: nah, not a favorite character at all, haha. i'm just having a lot of fun impersonating her! even my ryu has the name of her pet, so i think it might be cool to stay on theme.

edit: did something just to see how it looks like
    Last edited by Polorin; 04-11-2023 at 05:15 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Polorin For This Useful Post:

KJiU (04-11-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    15d 11h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I vote Bakarina! it's silly, i love silly lol.

When i first got back on here my username was a little too identifiable and also dumb looking so I changed it as soon as I could and just made it the first thing that came to my mind, which I'm honestly super happy with. So my advice is don't overthink it! It's your personality and what you share with the forum that *really* matters in the end anyway!
    🔗(you need an account to see links)

💖 meme inspo : Dita and Cat Purrson 💖
    orig. + more memes in (you need an account to see links)
    🌵 Cactus Ryu : Great White North🌵

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to howdy For This Useful Post:

♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (04-11-2023),KJiU (04-11-2023),Polorin (04-12-2023)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    426 times
    Time Online
    122d 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 1m
    howdy x2
    Bakarina is a funny name and I love it!

I've already changed my username once but it was during my early days so it wasn't a problem. Now I want to change it again and I understand the feeling of "will they find me?Will they RECOGNIZE me?" lol and yes they will. Keep the same avatar and sign for a while, it will help but consider the username change like a haircut change hahah
    Last edited by GreyFaerie; 04-11-2023 at 09:28 PM.

Pixie♥ ~
    Hatched 11/13/2020
    Chibi Grey Faerie by ♥ Wooloo ♥

(you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)
    Both Grey Pixel Pixie by the Honeycomb

my ubs by Lyrichord

Ryupocalypse 07-15-2021
    Grey love faerie by Houndoom

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreyFaerie For This Useful Post:

KJiU (04-11-2023),Polorin (04-12-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    203 times
    Time Online
    41d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    @(you need an account to see links) , glad to be able to help you out here xD We can work on the anime thread together for the baka ub, as the unlock requirement requires us to be active over there i think.
    Oh i initally thought it was your fav character haha and i gotta agree with you its always fun to have a "theme/persona" for fourms

That new name switch on the sig actually resonates more with the picture of her laughing ( i can feel it more with the new name for some reason her smiles is even more appealing than before )

the only downside is that there's no shorthand like "kat" < I have a fix for this i guess ?
    1) You can add a line below Bakarina which says Call me Kat or Kat (as per your preference)
    2) under your Pronouns you could change to Call me Kat (as per your preference) , i do notice that everyone just follow the example he/him her/she , very few have their own custom made variation (i'm one i changed mine haha)

To add onto Howdy & Greyfaerie's post. The drawback is just 1year cooldown timer but thats fine and I'm pretty sure you will have a name change to Bakarina. To make it even interesting you could also do a poll asking everyone here to vote

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (04-11-2023),Polorin (04-12-2023)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    84d 6h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    I'm going to join the counterpart team and say I like more Polorin xD

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:

KJiU (04-11-2023),Polorin (04-12-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her 🌙
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    15d 15h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    thank you so much everyone for your inputs! that's a lot of help! ♥

all this conversation made me realize that i actually should avoid "katarina" as username too. ^^'

i get you, @(you need an account to see links), i don't hate polorin either, hahaha. so my decision now is just between keeping polorin or going bakarina... today was really busy and i had no time to think about it. D=

at the same time, i really think i should follow @(you need an account to see links) advice and stop overthinking it, hahaha.
    i also love your idea of considering it like a haircut, @(you need an account to see links). made me feel more relaxed about the change. ^^

@(you need an account to see links), yeees, let's work on the baka ub together! you actually gave me an idea of a thread i can create there, hahah. we should bring some more life to that subforum.
    your idea of using the pronouns as a way to give a message on how to call you is genius! i'll probably keep the she/her, because i feel more comfortable if people call me this way than they/them, but i think there is plenty of space to add a small nickname =3

i could create a pool, but i'm afraid that can make me more confused and, again, i need to stop overthinking it!! hahaha

again, thank you so much, guys! that helped me a lot!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Polorin For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (04-12-2023),howdy (04-13-2023),KJiU (04-12-2023)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Quote Originally Posted by KJiU View Post
    2) under your Pronouns you could change to Call me Kat (as per your preference) , i do notice that everyone just follow the example he/him her/she , very few have their own custom made variation (i'm one i changed mine haha)
    Hey KJ, (you need an account to see links), not a nickname or message of any sort. Those can be added in your forum signature (which still shows up on every post) or the Biography section of your profile.

Since it seems like this discussion has run its course, I'm closing this thread.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Bat (04-12-2023),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (04-13-2023),j03 (04-12-2023),KJiU (04-12-2023)