Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

canadian iphone users +rep

For anyone here living in ontario:

Basically found me an unlocked phone I bought off a friend. We were gonna use public mobile for the provider, but sometimes it's not so clear up in Northren ontario. What provider has clear calling and has a far enough range, other than the big 3? I can't use wind btw, the range won't go out.

prefer to talk to someone with experience with their provider.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    323 times
    Time Online
    178d 13h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 1m
    I'm with Fido myself, however the smaller companies such as Mobilicity and Wind only cover heavily populated areas such as the GTA to my knowledge. How far north did you move?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I tried using my friend's wind phone, and I kept getting no service or even a dial tone. :x does fido have decent plans? I know they are a part of rogers right?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    6d 17h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Honestly I'd go with rogers. I took my phone through all of mid/southern ontario on a trip a year or so ago. It was an iphone. I had service just about everywhere, but I haven't been in the deep north wilds of ontario.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/5
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    6d 13h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by hizziro View Post
    Honestly I'd go with rogers. I took my phone through all of mid/southern ontario on a trip a year or so ago. It was an iphone. I had service just about everywhere, but I haven't been in the deep north wilds of ontario.
    As a Rogers customer, I'd have to disagree
    Don't get me wrong, Rogers has one of the fastest speeds of any providers I've used, but in terms of range, the signal can get very weak in random spots (inside and outside)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    @(you need an account to see links) my mom actually really hates rogers and won't deal with them. ever. :x they said the minmum cost plan for me would be like 70 dollars a month, even for an unlocked phone. we do have other services by them...they kept giving us random charges for stuff I don't even remember ordering.

is telus good or no

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    6d 17h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Maybe I'm just lucky with rogers then. They used to try random charges, I went on a long trip and left my phone at home and never used it, so when I got my overpriced bill I gave them hell since I didn't use anything, my phone was at home... and I haven't had a problem since. ^^

I've never gone through anything else, I heard Telus is amazing in alberta but I have no idea for ontario.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by hizziro View Post
    Maybe I'm just lucky with rogers then. They used to try random charges, I went on a long trip and left my phone at home and never used it, so when I got my overpriced bill I gave them hell since I didn't use anything, my phone was at home... and I haven't had a problem since. ^^

I've never gone through anything else, I heard Telus is amazing in alberta but I have no idea for ontario.
    come deal with em for me then?
    I had a conversation with them and I spent an hour like this

me: Can I unlock my phone?
    them: what? you want to update your phone to a new plan?
    me: no, unlock my phone
    them: we can give you an iPhone for for 200 dollars with a 60 dollar a month plan! and you can keep your other phone!
    me: how will that unlock it?

1 hour later NO PROGRESS

wait where do you live

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Are you in Thunder Bay? If so, look at Tbaytel or Bell's plan for Thunder Bay. Probably the best plans in the entire country for $75/month.

The reason the plan prices are so expensive lately has to do with the stupid CRTC disallowing 3 year contracts (because of the stupidity of the general public) which in turn caused the providers to force higher plan prices over the span of two year contracts to recoup phone costs. This screws over people who buy their own phones as plan prices increase and they reap minimal benefits in return. You'd have to look at Koodo, Fido, and Virgin mobile (the "cheaper" brands underneath Telus, Rogers, and Bell respectively; so much for that competition, huh?).

Telus and Bell are mutual partners for LTE with some minimal differences in coverage. Service wise? Telus has better customer support over Bell imho. Tbaytel has the best coverage in Thunder Bay and partnered up with Rogers to use their network outside of it. Why? Rogers has the best coverage in all of Northern Ontario. Take a look at the coverage maps.

Bell:
    (you need an account to see links)

Rogers:
    Last edited by dexter1ty; 08-20-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter1ty View Post
    Are you in Thunder Bay? If so, look at Tbaytel or Bell's plan for Thunder Bay. Probably the best plans in the entire country.

The reason the plan prices are so expensive has to do with the stupid CRTC disallowing 3 year contracts (because of the stupidity of the general public) which in turn caused the providers to force higher plan prices over the span of two year contracts to recoup phone costs. This screws over people who buy their own phones as plan prices increase and they reap minimal benefits in return.
    Telus and Bell are mutual partners for LTE with some minimal differences in coverage. Service wise? Telus has better customer support over Bell imho.

Tbaytel has the best coverage in Thunder Bay and partnered up with Rogers to use their network outside of it. Why? Rogers has the best coverage in all of Northern Ontario. Take a look at the coverage maps.

Bell:

Rogers:
    ...you sound like a rogers representive
    i'm not that north, Toronto is a 90 minute drive with no traffic (which its NEVER) but thanks for your input!