Mentioned
    249 times
    Time Online
    27d 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m

Lightbulb Finding a job Abroad

Hello Ya'll!

I live in the Dominican Republic and i've been trying to find either a remote job or an on-site job that can sponsor me and relocate me
    (which is what I want to do) but I keep getting rejected. I apply a lot on LinkedIn, ZipRecruiter, InfoJobs, Indeed but haven't had any
    luck yet. Either they reject me or never reply back.

I'm a graphic designer with 9+ years of experience and I really want to grow professionally in another country like the United States,
    Canada or Europe (Spain specifically).

I'm also looking at the possibility for a nomad visa, but for that I need a remote job (which I can't find) and another possibility is to
    find a Masters degree or another course, move there and get a permit to work and eventually get residency. Also have to say that
    I'm planning on doing it all legally, so no illegal stuff on this equation :p

Any advice?

Selling my NC Closet & UC Mutant and Darigan Hissi
    (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kibba For This Useful Post:

Clefairy (08-01-2023),DarkSkies (08-09-2023),Tyranitar (08-01-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    93d 2h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    I spent months trying to find a remote job and I am a US citizen. If time is no issue, I would recommend to keep trying. But it is going to be quite the uphill battle. However, I definitely think going the Master's route would be a lot easier. I'm not sure about the demands for Graphic Design. Is it one of those jobs being phased out due to AI or no?

Regarding the Masters degree, do you have any university in mind? I live in the US but recommend Spain as it is probably cheaper for the same education. And you will have better luck with healthcare and other services that you would need.

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    104 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Hey Kibba, I really can't help with this, but I wish you the bests of lucks.
    What I know is that sometimes is hard for companies to give you a remote job if you're not a citizen of that country because of taxes.
    The very hard way that I'm thinking is to land a job in a very big company that offers that benefit.
    In my company they offer you the possibilities to do it after one year and only if the project allows it. Is hard I know.

Some other options can be to find of the country you want to go offers student visas, or working holiday, or something like that that also allows you to work. You already said it, I think is the easier way, but it's expensive, I know.

I know is hard, I also try to think as the company and obviously is hard to offer a sponsor visa to someone that you don't really know, because they need to do a lot of paperwork in order to accept you. But it's not impossible.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Hey @(you need an account to see links)! I'm not an expert by any means, but judging by what you're looking for, Spain is probably going to be the path of least resistance! It is one of the easiest EU nations to gain residency and citizenship with, and you would get all of the perks of being part of the EU (such as being able to work in or move to anywhere in the EU). If any of your grandparents are Spanish, you may be able to make a case for citizenship by descent (My partner is a half-Spanish Puerto Rican and we were looking into this but just barely didn't qualify), but if that doesn't apply to you, disregard this.

If you're interested in pursuing a Master's degree I also highly recommend Spain over the US. The education expenses are going to be much less expensive. I'm an American citizen who has been looking into grad school abroad, and almost everyone I've spoken with has suggested going to Europe over getting a Master's in the US. Getting your degree in Spain would also make it easier to become a resident, and eventually a citizen if that's your goal.\

Like I said though, I'm just some guy and I don't know the particulars of your situation, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    249 times
    Time Online
    27d 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracarys View Post
    I spent months trying to find a remote job and I am a US citizen. If time is no issue, I would recommend to keep trying. But it is going to be quite the uphill battle. However, I definitely think going the Master's route would be a lot easier. I'm not sure about the demands for Graphic Design. Is it one of those jobs being phased out due to AI or no?

Regarding the Masters degree, do you have any university in mind? I live in the US but recommend Spain as it is probably cheaper for the same education. And you will have better luck with healthcare and other services that you would need.
    Yeah, every time I'm filling an application it says 'Are you going to need a work visa in the future? Yes - No
    And then I get so anxious cuz I know I'm not gonna be a priority, therefore, they won't have me as first pick

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    Hey Kibba, I really can't help with this, but I wish you the bests of lucks.
    What I know is that sometimes is hard for companies to give you a remote job if you're not a citizen of that country because of taxes.
    The very hard way that I'm thinking is to land a job in a very big company that offers that benefit.
    In my company they offer you the possibilities to do it after one year and only if the project allows it. Is hard I know.

Some other options can be to find of the country you want to go offers student visas, or working holiday, or something like that that also allows you to work. You already said it, I think is the easier way, but it's expensive, I know.

I know is hard, I also try to think as the company and obviously is hard to offer a sponsor visa to someone that you don't really know, because they need to do a lot of paperwork in order to accept you. But it's not impossible.
    Yeah, I've been googling big companies that sponsor visas and applied this week, let's see how it goes. I have a friend that works at apple as chief of an area and asked him to help me if he knows of an empty spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked View Post
    Hey @(you need an account to see links)! I'm not an expert by any means, but judging by what you're looking for, Spain is probably going to be the path of least resistance! It is one of the easiest EU nations to gain residency and citizenship with, and you would get all of the perks of being part of the EU (such as being able to work in or move to anywhere in the EU). If any of your grandparents are Spanish, you may be able to make a case for citizenship by descent (My partner is a half-Spanish Puerto Rican and we were looking into this but just barely didn't qualify), but if that doesn't apply to you, disregard this.

If you're interested in pursuing a Master's degree I also highly recommend Spain over the US. The education expenses are going to be much less expensive. I'm an American citizen who has been looking into grad school abroad, and almost everyone I've spoken with has suggested going to Europe over getting a Master's in the US. Getting your degree in Spain would also make it easier to become a resident, and eventually a citizen if that's your goal.\

Like I said though, I'm just some guy and I don't know the particulars of your situation, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    Yes! I'm looking for cheap options in Barcelona and Madrid, no luck yet, but another option is for me to save for next year and apply and see how it goes, cuz rn, money is not on the horizon.
    That's why I want to land a job because what I earn in my current job in my country is very VERY low, compared to a US job, like, what I earn in a month, people probably make that money in 3 days or 1 week in the states.

I would be so happy If I get a remote job and would be able to make more than 2k a month, that would give me the opportunity to apply to a Nomad Visa and move to Spain

Selling my NC Closet & UC Mutant and Darigan Hissi
    (you need an account to see links)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kibba For This Useful Post:

Crooked (08-09-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    112/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    14d 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Hi Kibba!
    I'm from Brazil, moved to Canada 2 years ago and I recently got my Canadian permanent residency (PR).
    Canada is a country that really invests in immigration, and most employers are open to hiring a foreigner. The thing is, in order to do that, they will need to apply for an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) or that the employee already has a visa. Getting an LMIA is usually not easy, and most companies will avoid going through it. However, yesterday they just announced a pilot program to make things easy called Recognized Employer Pilot, only for agriculture now but will be open to all other sectors in Jan 2024. I highly recommend you take a look at that.
    Most people will apply for a student visa (but then you will have to get accepted into a college program, which can be expensive) that gives then the right to apply for a work visa after completing their studies. With a student visa, you can work here and it just makes things easier.

Overall, Canada is a great place to get a residency, especially in your field (tech-related). Keep an eye out for current and new immigration programs and keep applying for remote positions as well. They definitely need more people here and getting a permanent residency is not that hard when you have a solid plan.
    Keep searching, keep trying. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anfitria For This Useful Post:

Crooked (08-09-2023),DarkSkies (08-09-2023)