View Poll Results: Have you been a victim of racism or sexism?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 86.67%
  • No

4 8.89%
  • N/A

2 4.44%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever experienced racism or sexism?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    This one is hard to answer since people make fun of the fact that Im brown (im only like half) like everyday... although I doubt their serious. I live in a really multi-cultural place, so its not very common for people to make racial slurs without getting shit on. Although I know a lot of people obviously say it behind people's backs and such, whether it be a "joke" or not.
    Sexism-wise, Im lucky that ive been surrounded by a group of people where that hasn't happened to me/I wouldn't let it happy to me. I think culturally it is very prominent though. I mean I havent let it happen to me but i've grown up around a culture who very much distinguishes female and male so I mean that is obviously there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cub For This Useful Post:

Banannie (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

Have you ever experienced racism or sexism?

I experience racism all the time on Xbox live

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

Banannie (08-01-2014),distanthunder (08-02-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    2d 8h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Unfortunately, I had. Mostly sexism

I just don't get affected by what people say about me. The only thing about this that makes me sad is to think about other people that really cares about what the others say.

Sometimes people don't think that they're actually hurting someone and that "jokes" can make the victim commit suicide. This is so unfair, we're all equal, we're all different, why can't people accept that?

"No matter gay, straight or bi
    Lesbian, transgendered life
    I'm on the right track, baby
    I was born to survive
    No matter black, white or beige
    Chola or orient made
    I'm on the right track, baby
    I was born to be brave"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukaz For This Useful Post:

Banannie (08-01-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmans View Post
    I experience racism all the time on Xbox live
    Ah, if I were to count my online experiences of racism, then sure. I'd also have many encounters but the anonymity allows stupidity to reign free. It's the face-to-face, explicit occurrences of racism that irks me because the person truly does seem to believe in what they're saying and feel no remorse in saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirineko View Post
    r i g h t

people in america don't eat dogs or cats (i think there's a law against it bc animal activists?), so i'm pretty sure it's because i'm of vietnamese descent.

Oddly enough, it's my Korean friends who face the dog meat connotation usually. People bring it up so casually but I'm not exactly sure it's a case of racism but moreso ignorance seeking knowledge/confirmation of a stereotype [All Koreans eat dog meat] through their misled understandings.
    Last edited by dexter1ty; 08-01-2014 at 07:43 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dexter1ty For This Useful Post:

Banannie (08-01-2014),Naked Gamer (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter1ty View Post
    Ah, if I were to count my online experiences of racism, then sure. I'd also have many encounters but the anonymity allows stupidity to reign free. It's the face-to-face, explicit occurrences of racism that irks me because the person truly does seem to believe in what they're saying and feel no remorse in saying it.
    I don't get it much IRL only from time to time.

I'm white aboriginal Australian and the Abo jokes are strong here.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    121 times
    Time Online
    39d 18h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by dexter1ty View Post
    Oddly enough, it's my Korean friends who face the dog meat connotation usually. People bring it up so casually but I'm not exactly sure it's a case of racism but moreso ignorance seeking knowledge/confirmation of a stereotype [All Koreans eat dog meat] through their misled understandings.
    i don't know about korea but in vietnam, people used to eat dog meat because there were extra dogs on the streets and hungry mouths to feed. these days it's mostly a delicacy (i think). at least that's what i remember from when i went there last. my parents were talking about places that'd specifically sell dog meat or something idk.

Custom Ryu by @Zapdos

By me

By @honeycomb

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    25d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
    ... say the hundreds of millions of pet owners worldwide
    Assuming 500 million people say they shouldn't be food, that's 6.5 billion people who say they should. But what makes humans the authority on deciding what should and shouldnt be food?
    hmu ladies

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
    Assuming 500 million people say they shouldn't be food, that's 6.5 billion people who say they should. But what makes humans the authority on deciding what should and shouldnt be food?
    What you eat depends on where you live and what the laws are, which act as our human authority. They dictate what we can and cannot eat. Technically, most animals can be eaten as food, but many people have restrictions on which animals they consider to be food.

The interesting thing is, we claim we love pets so much, but 3-4 million of them are euthanized each year in the U.S. We exploit these animals by allowing puppy mills to continue running (these conditions are just as horrid as the ones in Asian dog food farms). People breed sickly teacup dogs and "designer mutts" just to make a quick buck. We fight and race animals to the death, we experiment on them and we resort to horrible ways of getting rid of the feral population.

When it comes to creatures "lesser" than us, we view them as expendable objects that can be mistreated. If it isn't a cat or a dog being put to sleep, it's our food animals living in cages, already "packaged" before they're even dead.

In regards to animals, there are too many injustices and contradictions. Humans seem to have the authority to mishandle whatever living thing they please.

But to get back on topic, lots of animals are food. Laws dictate which ones you can eat, and from the ones you can eat, you are able to pick and choose. Nothing really makes humans the authority, we simply live in a society that has authority over us.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Banannie For This Useful Post:

Double.Trouble (08-01-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Well I'm 25% Syrian and 25% Lebanese and sometimes people just make some kind of stereotypical joke about Arabs or something but it never really bothered me tbh. And if I'm on Xbox Live and I ever talk in a Call of Duty game, someone always has to mention the fact that I'm a girl lol, usually not anything offensive but just like "Whoa, you're a girl?!", normally from like 12 year old boys but I guess it's something I've gotten very used to.

But I want to be an engineer so sometimes when I mention where I want to go to school a lot of guys will be like "Well you'll definitely get in because you're a girl", as if my academic achievement has absolutely nothing to do with it and that makes me so angry. Or guys will make some kind of "Oh are you even good at math" comment, because obviously if I was bad at math I would think engineering would be a good field for me :-) Like c'mon, I just get so tired of that shit. It gets annoying to listen to really quickly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jules For This Useful Post:

Banannie (08-01-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I'm an intelligent tax preparer, with RTPT certification and ~6 years experience under my belt. While at the office I worked for in Texas (I almost joined as a partner in the LLC), an overseas-exemption filer (almost six-figures potentially tax exempt) had a hissy fit with me because he didn't like what I had to tell him. He wanted to see the "man" the "owner" the "competent" one. Well, the owner's daughter -- my best friend at the time and the partner/co-owner -- heard this man berating me. I was keeping my cool, explaining to him that while he seemed every-so lovely with his attitude, I would not defraud our government to satisfy him. Out comes my girl. "You've being disrespectful to her because she's a woman?! She's my best preparer. This girl can do anything the old man can do (I couldn't at the time). Get the fuck out."
    Ahhh... the joys of working for a LLC.

Never had a problem with racism that I recall, though I am part of the 'majority.' I've got wild hair -- from a pretty portion of my bloodline being Native American -- so most blacks and other races assume I'm mixed with their bloodline, too. I don't mind it whatsoever: I feel beautiful.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Skarl For This Useful Post:

Banannie (08-02-2014)