37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Regarding your point on school shootings, I have to disagree. I think that if young people didn't have access to guns, there would definitely be a lower rate of mass/multiple murders in school settings. I work in a high school and cannot think of another way that teenagers could have as effective of an outcome (if you want to think about it that way) with other methods as they would with a firearm. This is predominantly because of range; it's harder to subdue a student who is able to attack from a distance.
    The only reason young people have access is because their idiot parents don't secure them correctly, or they're involved in some gang activity and get them illegally anyway. If our government enforced the laws already on the books, mass shootings wouldn't be an issue. There should also be harsh punishment for any parent whose child gets one of their guns and commits a crime with it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Teakwood (02-06-2019)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    The only reason young people have access is because their idiot parents don't secure them correctly, or they're involved in some gang activity and get them illegally anyway. If our government enforced the laws already on the books, mass shootings wouldn't be an issue. There should also be harsh punishment for any parent whose child gets one of their guns and commits a crime with it.
    Oh, I agree with what you're saying. I was more responding to the PPs's claim that "School shootings happen when someone gets bullied to the point they want these people to die. If guns were banned they would kill in a different way. i guarantee it"

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Oh, I agree with what you're saying. I was more responding to the PPs's claim that "School shootings happen when someone gets bullied to the point they want these people to die. If guns were banned they would kill in a different way. i guarantee it"
    Gotcha. Yeah, I don't think it has to do solely with being bullied, either. I think a lot of it stems from the media glorifying these kids and giving them a name when they're going unnoticed at school. As far as the killings go, most of these kids aren't going to know how to build a bomb, so the majority of them would likely use a knife, and they aren't going to effectively carry out a mass murder in a classroom or hallway. Someone would step in, whether it be a teacher or another student. I was stabbed 14 times and still made it out kicking and throwing punches. Had the group of men decided to pull the trigger, I probably wouldn't be here today.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I would agree. However I think there is another larger factor in play as well. Parents should parent. Parents no longer teach their kids right vs wrong. To be careful, think before one acts. No fighting, that anger and temper solves nothing, do not use violence to solve problems. There is no such thing as parenting in that aspect anymore, it is merely use your choice media product and be quiet. The TV/media babysitter which then becomes the contributing source to the glorifying, the fantasy of being the badass with a gun that "will show everyone who is boss".

Kids are going to be useless adults if they continually have nothing instilled in them about being good people. Good people do not commit crimes, bad people do. The more good we teach children the better off they are in learning that they should not require a weapon or resort to a violent act of any magnitude. Our kids are sorely doomed.

It is the current mentality that will break apart society from within. Thought process must change if there is any hope for things to steer away from the current reality of violent people's actions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Misha (06-25-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    I would agree. However I think there is another larger factor in play as well. Parents should parent. Parents no longer teach their kids right vs wrong. To be careful, think before one acts. No fighting, that anger and temper solves nothing, do not use violence to solve problems. There is no such thing as parenting in that aspect anymore, it is merely use your choice media product and be quiet. The TV/media babysitter which then becomes the contributing source to the glorifying, the fantasy of being the badass with a gun that "will show everyone who is boss".

Kids are going to be useless adults if they continually have nothing instilled in them about being good people. Good people do not commit crimes, bad people do. The more good we teach children the better off they are in learning that they should not require a weapon or resort to a violent act of any magnitude. Our kids are sorely doomed.

It is the current mentality that will break apart society from within. Thought process must change if there is any hope for things to steer away from the current reality of violent people's actions.
    100% agree with everything you've said. I think it's important to teach our children right and wrong, as well as teach the importance and value of life. I've been teaching my girls about life, including teaching them how to safely handle a firearm and when it's okay to touch one, since my oldest was 4 years old.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    5d 8h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    My friend carries guns and she's very active in the gun community. She's the hallmark of how every gun owners should treat their guns. She maintains her gun every week, hides it away where her kids can never reach, and goes to a gun range for practice.

I wish gun laws were reformed. If you want a gun, you have to go to gun meeting every month and practice safe use. I keep hearing about idiots who bring their guns everywhere with them and it discharges; either killing them or hurting someone random. Educating them without taking guns away would be ideal in US. Guns are easy to get through illegal channels anyways.

But yea, ban assault rifles. Why do citizen need assault rifles anyways...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by salsadog View Post
    My friend carries guns and she's very active in the gun community. She's the hallmark of how every gun owners should treat their guns. She maintains her gun every week, hides it away where her kids can never reach, and goes to a gun range for practice.

I wish gun laws were reformed. If you want a gun, you have to go to gun meeting every month and practice safe use. I keep hearing about idiots who bring their guns everywhere with them and it discharges; either killing them or hurting someone random. Educating them without taking guns away would be ideal in US. Guns are easy to get through illegal channels anyways.

Listen to Ben Shaprio on the subject matter of why civilians need [semi automatic] assault rifles. Also, read up on why the 2nd Amendment was created. Problem solved.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

Assault rifles are already banned. My Norinco SKS is 5 times more powerful and 250 yards more accurate than any AR-15 in the civilian market. It comes down to owner responsibility, and the government doing their job, to stop these mass shootings. Guns will never go away in America, it just isn't going to happen. I agree with the person above me about Ben Shapiro's stance on why we need semi-auto rifles, though he does have a lot of views I don't agree with.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    5d 8h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by jongeh View Post
    Listen to Ben Shaprio on the subject matter of why civilians need [semi automatic] assault rifles. Also, read up on why the 2nd Amendment was created. Problem solved.
    You got me. The 2nd amendment encourages people to practice safe gun control. That's why we never see news articles about kids getting shot in their faces after their parents left their gun out. Problem solved. Pack up and go home yall.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    Assault rifles are already banned. My Norinco SKS is 5 times more powerful and 250 yards more accurate than any AR-15 in the civilian market. It comes down to owner responsibility, and the government doing their job, to stop these mass shootings. Guns will never go away in America, it just isn't going to happen. I agree with the person above me about Ben Shapiro's stance on why we need semi-auto rifles, though he does have a lot of views I don't agree with.
    I agree, it all comes down to owner responsibility and etc., but I'm focusing on owner responsibility here. Gun owners need to be educated more about safety. I think this should be a mandatory yearly thing. I just can't see any downfalls to this aside from our gov bitching about not having enough money for it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to salsadog For This Useful Post:

Misha (07-19-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    You got me. The 2nd amendment encourages people to practice safe gun control. That's why we never see news articles about kids getting shot in their faces after their parents left their gun out. Problem solved. Pack up and go home yall.

I agree, it all comes down to owner responsibility and etc., but I'm focusing on owner responsibility here. Gun owners need to be educated more about safety. I think this should be a mandatory yearly thing. I just can't see any downfalls to this aside from our gov bitching about not having enough money for it.
    The 2nd Amendment doesn't encourage people to practice safe gun control (whatever that means), it gives civilians the right to bear arms. My post was in response to the last sentence of yours, which asked why "citizen need assault rifles anyways...".

I haven't looked at the statistics, but I am almost certain the majority of child gun-related death cases involve handguns rather than assault rifles. You can go and look at the statistics yourself. Apart from that, I literally see no meaningful substance in your response to my post, so I will ask you; what exactly is it you are arguing?
    Last edited by jongeh; 07-21-2018 at 05:39 AM.