Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obscure Anime/Manga Recommendations?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 15h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Uff Berserk it's definitely obscure at least the first seasons are harsh. I'm not sure where it's streaming for the anime though.

If you are able to, you could give it a read. Berserk is best experienced in manga form. RIP Kentarou Miura.

Utena it's been si long since I re wached, could never fully understand all the symbolic stuff
    It is, as us neckbeards used to say, 2Deep4U.

Just kidding, it's been a long time since I've watched it as well. I should set some time for a re-watch as well...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abaj For This Useful Post:

Crooked (07-07-2023),DarkSkies (07-07-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Fully seconding @(you need an account to see links). The artistry of the Berserk manga is, in my opinion, unparalleled. I invested in the art book and seeing Kentarou Miura's panels in large format is mind blowing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crooked For This Useful Post:

abaj (07-07-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Oh man, Saiyuki was such a good anime, definitely one of my favs and one I highly recommend as well

The twelve kingdoms as well, and Lodoss?? Yes

I was actually a huge fan of The Battle Angel OVA - Gunnm, I also highly recommend the manga for Alita - the art imo was beautiful and I actually own the collectors edition, along with the omnibuses and final 3-4 volumes that didn't have an omnibus. I want to get the chronicle of mars series because I really loved the art style of Alita.

I also really loved claymore, and own the box set (but I think that may currently be available for stream) The manga was lovely however.

And then of course .//hack was one of my all time favorites.

I'm a huge .//hack fangirl, seen every portion of the series, played every game and even bought the remaster. It was one of the first anime that got me into anime and I can't recommend it enough
    g
    UB Courtesy of: @Munna

Credit for the beautiful signature to: (you need an account to see links)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Crooked (07-09-2023)

Pronouns
    it/its
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 10h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    idk how obscure this truly is but I remember liking Jyu-Oh-Sei, it's a sci-fi anime about two twins who get shipped to a prison planet for something they didn't do. Don't rly see anyone talk about it so!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to balzabul For This Useful Post:

Crooked (07-09-2023),TsUNaMy WaVe (07-11-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    8d 16h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Some fantasy titles I remember in no particular order that haven't been mentioned already, I think. They tonally vary quite a bit though.
    As for Dark Fantasy, Ubel Blatt is one, but I don't think the others are... Guess I don't read much in there.
    Only a few of these I consider obscure, basically all of them are post-2000s.

Ubel Blatt (Manga)
    Guin Saga (Manga, Anime) rec. anime, manga translation is incomplete, I think
    Kekkaishi (Manga, Anime)
    Kino's Journey (2 Anime, 3? Manga, also has Light Novel) Novel is ongoing.
    Superior & Superior Cross (Manga)
    Shoukoku Altair (Manga)
    The Legend of Maian (Korean Manhwa)
    Magi (Manga, Anime) rec. Anime since manga kinda goes off the rails near the end
    Spice & Wolf (Manga, Anime, also has Light Novel) also has sequel Manga and Light Novel, which are ongoing.
    Omoide Emanon, Sasurai Emanon (Manga)
    Dorohedoro (Manga, Anime)
    Letter Bee / Tegami Bachi (Manga, Anime)
    Helck (Manga, Anime soon)
    Doubutsu no Kuni (Manga) I think this counts as fantasy lol, it's got talking animals...!
    Heterogenic Linguistics / Heterogenia Linguistico: Ishuzoku Gengogaku Nyuumon (Manga) Also got talking animals (hybrids), but totally different vibe. Ongoing.
    Kouya ni Kemono Doukokusu (Manga) Less fantasy and more sci-fi. Also got talking animal hybrids...
    The Magus' Bride / Mahoutsukai no Yome (Manga, Anime) Ongoing.
    Faraway Paladin (Manga, Anime, also has Light Novel) Ongoing.

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    421 times
    Time Online
    85d 2h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    Quote Originally Posted by kalez View Post
    Some fantasy titles I remember in no particular order that haven't been mentioned already, I think. They tonally vary quite a bit though.
    As for Dark Fantasy, Ubel Blatt is one, but I don't think the others are... Guess I don't read much in there.
    Only a few of these I consider obscure, basically all of them are post-2000s.

Ubel Blatt (Manga)
    Guin Saga (Manga, Anime) rec. anime, manga translation is incomplete, I think
    Kekkaishi (Manga, Anime)
    Kino's Journey (2 Anime, 3? Manga, also has Light Novel) Novel is ongoing.
    Superior & Superior Cross (Manga)
    Shoukoku Altair (Manga)
    The Legend of Maian (Korean Manhwa)
    Magi (Manga, Anime) rec. Anime since manga kinda goes off the rails near the end
    Spice & Wolf (Manga, Anime, also has Light Novel) also has sequel Manga and Light Novel, which are ongoing.
    Omoide Emanon, Sasurai Emanon (Manga)
    Dorohedoro (Manga, Anime)
    Letter Bee / Tegami Bachi (Manga, Anime)
    Helck (Manga, Anime soon)
    Doubutsu no Kuni (Manga) I think this counts as fantasy lol, it's got talking animals...!
    Heterogenic Linguistics / Heterogenia Linguistico: Ishuzoku Gengogaku Nyuumon (Manga) Also got talking animals (hybrids), but totally different vibe. Ongoing.
    Kouya ni Kemono Doukokusu (Manga) Less fantasy and more sci-fi. Also got talking animal hybrids...
    The Magus' Bride / Mahoutsukai no Yome (Manga, Anime) Ongoing.
    Faraway Paladin (Manga, Anime, also has Light Novel) Ongoing.
    I didn't know Spice and Wolf was still ongoing Gotta look for that one, I only finished the two seasons of the anime.

The Magu's Bride I started it but it was a bit slow the beginning that I dropped it. Another one I need to retake watching.

Quote Originally Posted by abaj View Post
    If you are able to, you could give it a read. Berserk is best experienced in manga form. RIP Kentarou Miura.

It is, as us neckbeards used to say, 2Deep4U.

Just kidding, it's been a long time since I've watched it as well. I should set some time for a re-watch as well...
    Oh for sure, my husband showed the manga and the drawings were very cool! Poor Guts though he really suffered a lot I'm glad the last parts were better for him.

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    @(you need an account to see links) I've heard good things about .//hack but never got around to checking it out, guess I should!

@(you need an account to see links) Thanks for the huge list! I know next to nothing about manhwa, so I appreciate you including one!

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    77d 3h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    I came by to give my recommendation, but I sadly dont really know of any dark fantasy one ):

I can still offer one up, but I feel is the exact opposite of what you are seeking lol
    But still, you never know!

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    I came by to give my recommendation, but I sadly dont really know of any dark fantasy one ):

I can still offer one up, but I feel is the exact opposite of what you are seeking lol
    But still, you never know!

My girlfriend and I love to watch wild 00s anime like this, I'll have to watch the first episode with her the next time we pick one to watch. Thanks for the rec!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    64d 12h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    Quote Originally Posted by balzabul View Post
    idk how obscure this truly is but I remember liking Jyu-Oh-Sei, it's a sci-fi anime about two twins who get shipped to a prison planet for something they didn't do. Don't rly see anyone talk about it so!
    Oh, I watched this one years ago! Truly obscure imo. It was pretty good.

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

balzabul (07-11-2023),Crooked (07-11-2023)