Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading post haggling suggestions?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3d 9h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m

Trading post haggling suggestions?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had a particular way that they like to open haggling neomails. I've been trying a few different messages, straight offers, etc. I found that I like saying something like "Hello, what's the lowest you're willing to go on XXX? Thanks!"

I've noticed different responses to this message. I recently tried this message for the same stamp to over 10 different people. 2 of them came back with a low price that I was willing to jump on. 3 others just said the same amount, or close to the same amount, that they had listed. 2 got really mad and rose the price! haha. I'm not sure if the phrasing "lowest" hits the wrong way? Maybe.

Does anyone have a template message that they like for haggling?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Onetwo For This Useful Post:

Praise_the_Sun (03-02-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    953 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetwo View Post
    Hello! I was wondering if anyone had a particular way that they like to open haggling neomails. I've been trying a few different messages, straight offers, etc. I found that I like saying something like "Hello, what's the lowest you're willing to go on XXX? Thanks!"

I've noticed different responses to this message. I recently tried this message for the same stamp to over 10 different people. 2 of them came back with a low price that I was willing to jump on. 3 others just said the same amount, or close to the same amount, that they had listed. 2 got really mad and rose the price! haha. I'm not sure if the phrasing "lowest" hits the wrong way? Maybe.

Does anyone have a template message that they like for haggling?
    I pretty much do the same thing! If there's one person who I know isn't an obvious asshole TCer I'll prob reach out to them with a slightly lower offer (like if it's 3m, hi would you do item for 2.5m?) but otherwise what you said is pretty much it. Anyone who reacts poorly to that or raises their price is just a jackass and doesn't deserve your money 😂

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-02-2024),Onetwo (03-02-2024),Praise_the_Sun (03-02-2024)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    419 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    I normally only offer if there's an established price (I hate the mmail offers phrase sorry) and sometimes I do what @(you need an account to see links) said.

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-02-2024),Onetwo (03-02-2024)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    43d 23h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I normally only offer if there's an established price (I hate the mmail offers phrase sorry) and sometimes I do what @(you need an account to see links) said.
    Same. I don't usually offer on nm offer lots, and usually when you ask whats the lowest they'll go you never really get that number unless you've made an offer or two anyway.

I'd say just lead with an offer you think is reasonable and hope it works lol.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-02-2024),Onetwo (03-02-2024)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    713 times
    Time Online
    356d 4h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m
    I go off JN prices if it seems reasonable and I offer on posts that have the price. Like others, I really dislike NM offers lots and don't bother with those. Buying would be so much easier if TNT made it so the TP had to have a requesting price or something.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (03-02-2024),Onetwo (03-02-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    I don't trade much at all but I don't really love being asked what the lowest I'd take is, especially when there's a price on my listings. Not that I'd ever be rude in response, but I'll generally give a price that's definitely higher than my lowest. Sometimes people then don't reply but others make a slightly lower offer I can then accept.

I really prefer being mailed with an offer, and not an absurdly low one / reseller offer. Today I got a mail of less than half the JN/TP price for a very rare item from someone who is clearly a reseller and it really rubs me up the wrong way. I will significantly discount items for collectors and if someone mails showing they're a collector and is open to discussing prices I'll give a good deal.

So my preference is to be mailed with an offer slightly lower than you're willing to go, and if it's reasonable then hopefully we can work out a mid point!

Oooh, adding that I will sometimes put 'nm offers' if I'm not really sure of the price myself: if it's had a lot of fluctuations or no one else has a price up, or it's on JN as unpriced. In those cases sometimes I just find it more helpful to ask for offers and accept what feels reasonable.
    Last edited by birdies; 03-02-2024 at 01:17 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdies For This Useful Post:

nousha (03-04-2024),Onetwo (03-02-2024)

Pronouns
    🔥
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    12d 15h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    4h 17m
    I usually will NM someone what i think is a decent offer. Somewhere between JN and the inflated TP price.

Sometimes I'll get a response and more often times not. XD

I try to be as polite as possible when I do mail offers though! And even if I get a 'no sorry' or whatnot I will thank them for their time and move on. 😊

Avatar by the wonderful (you need an account to see links)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arcanine For This Useful Post:

Onetwo (03-02-2024)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    109 times
    Time Online
    63d 18h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    I prefer direct offers on my lots, if I say something on my wishlist, that's exactly what I would accept.
    When offering for something I try to either read what the want or look at JN and the historic prices and offer whatever I think its fair.
    I don't like nm offers, but I don't really mind, I'll usually just say the least amount I'd accept straight away.
    I know how "what's your lowest" would bug some people though, maybe just try asking if they would accept certain amount first.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nyu For This Useful Post:

Onetwo (03-02-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    3d 9h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I pretty much do the same thing! If there's one person who I know isn't an obvious asshole TCer I'll prob reach out to them with a slightly lower offer (like if it's 3m, hi would you do item for 2.5m?) but otherwise what you said is pretty much it. Anyone who reacts poorly to that or raises their price is just a jackass and doesn't deserve your money 😂
    Yeah, I was taken by surprise with them getting angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    Same. I don't usually offer on nm offer lots, and usually when you ask whats the lowest they'll go you never really get that number unless you've made an offer or two anyway.

I'd say just lead with an offer you think is reasonable and hope it works lol.
    I guess my hope with asking their lowest is that I'll find one person who comes back with a really low number.

Quote Originally Posted by Buizel View Post
    I go off JN prices if it seems reasonable and I offer on posts that have the price. Like others, I really dislike NM offers lots and don't bother with those. Buying would be so much easier if TNT made it so the TP had to have a requesting price or something.
    Yeah, I don't like nm lots either. mostly it's too much effort

Quote Originally Posted by birdies View Post
    I don't trade much at all but I don't really love being asked what the lowest I'd take is, especially when there's a price on my listings. Not that I'd ever be rude in response, but I'll generally give a price that's definitely higher than my lowest. Sometimes people then don't reply but others make a slightly lower offer I can then accept.

I really prefer being mailed with an offer, and not an absurdly low one / reseller offer. Today I got a mail of less than half the JN/TP price for a very rare item from someone who is clearly a reseller and it really rubs me up the wrong way. I will significantly discount items for collectors and if someone mails showing they're a collector and is open to discussing prices I'll give a good deal.

So my preference is to be mailed with an offer slightly lower than you're willing to go, and if it's reasonable then hopefully we can work out a mid point!
    Yeah, I was getting the feeling that it was rubbing people the wrong way. I like to give discounts to collectors as well. It feels like you're helping people achieve more in the game, ya know?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyu View Post
    I prefer direct offers on my lots, if I say something on my wishlist, that's exactly what I would accept.
    When offering for something I try to either read what the want or look at JN and the historic prices and offer whatever I think its fair.
    I don't like nm offers, but I don't really mind, I'll usually just say the least amount I'd accept straight away.
    I know how "what's your lowest" would bug some people though, maybe just try asking if they would accept certain amount first.
    I don't like direct offers on my lots if they are random items. I don't get mad about it though but they are always bad deals.

Yeah, I'd get how it would bug some. I just want to get straight to the point and not waste time haggling more than I need.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/1
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    11d 23h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 43m
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetwo View Post
    Yeah, I was taken by surprise with them getting angry.

I guess my hope with asking their lowest is that I'll find one person who comes back with a really low number.

Yeah, I don't like nm lots either. mostly it's too much effort

Yeah, I was getting the feeling that it was rubbing people the wrong way. I like to give discounts to collectors as well. It feels like you're helping people achieve more in the game, ya know?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like direct offers on my lots if they are random items. I don't get mad about it though but they are always bad deals.

Yeah, I'd get how it would bug some. I just want to get straight to the point and not waste time haggling more than I need.
    I think people perceive it as trying to take advantage of them. It's not necessarily true but it can be. People's negative experiences often shape their worldview and perception of others intent. It is often incorrect.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Praise_the_Sun For This Useful Post:

Onetwo (03-02-2024)