20/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    18d 22h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wixie View Post
    Thing is, a not insignificant amount of people has volunteered to work on the project for free. Noah isn't really a one man team, and if he ends up becoming one, it would be by choice: one of the people kicked was apparently discussing working on a custom plot with him, and he wasn't cooperative. He's added free art assets to the website. I myself was in the process of designing an UC species and constantly asked if there was anything I could help with.

This system works when either no one is paid, or everyone is. Noah always implied it to be the former. To justify the patreon as "art commission expenses" is just an extra slap in the face when there's already people who would do it free of charge if he'd only been civil towards us.
    ah, I guess only having the context provided on this topic limits my understanding of the issue pretty severely. I also assumed (like Leopets) the art was stolen, but if not, that's cool. I hope this all gets resolved.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
    Major drama in the discord. People who donate get early access and can make pets. Some users aren't happy with that. Site hasn't even launched and there's a shit storm.

I think some users are taking it way to seriously. As someone pointed out users were talking about getting out of work for the launch day. This is a one man site and is pretty simple. People have such crazy expectations.

Random screenshots

Noah's response

Invite link
    To be fair, I was one who took off work. With covid all my summer plans are cancelled. I'm also took off next thurs/friday for the madden 21 release. With no plans and vacation that wont roll over. Why not use it.

The whole thing has just flew off the rails. Noah doesn't respond for a day or 2 and people jump to conclusions about him.

One lady that was kicked was being incredibly aggressive. And after a while you just get to have enough of it. Poor guy is doing all the backend and frontend work alone and people just cant even be grateful. It's sad because i was super excited and now that excitement is dwindling.
    Some of the people are so bad that people are messaging me on here still running their mouths.

Such a shame.
    Last edited by penguin1991; 08-20-2020 at 05:22 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguin1991 For This Useful Post:

Dragonite (12-06-2020),FrankOcean (08-20-2020),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (01-13-2021)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    17d 23h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wixie View Post
    Thing is, a not insignificant amount of people has volunteered to work on the project for free. Noah isn't really a one man team, and if he ends up becoming one, it would be by choice: one of the people kicked was apparently discussing working on a custom plot with him, and he wasn't cooperative. He's added free art assets to the website. I myself was in the process of designing an UC species and constantly asked if there was anything I could help with.

This system works when either no one is paid, or everyone is. Noah always implied it to be the former. To justify the patreon as "art commission expenses" is just an extra slap in the face when there's already people who would do it free of charge if he'd only been civil towards us.
    Plots/new species are fine, but not when NOTHING else is done on the site yet. I'm accepting any and all help, but not for features that are still months and months away

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    18d 22h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by noah View Post
    I agree and honestly do support your position. The project originally was locally hosted and I didn't really have intentions to create a full-on Leo-style fansite like this, but after seeing how people responded (and how cool it was to be on the old site myself) I decided to go ahead with it anyways.

I don't like using NP's assets, but I suppose it'd be hard to this project to be a recreation without using them. It's for the same reason why, if JS came knocking with a C&D ultimately there's nothing I can do. It's their IP and their content and they have a right to demand I not use it. But, on the chance that this site is treated no different than Leo, I'd love to give people the chance to really experience a true oldschool recreation.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Yw! Yeah, I hope I didn't come off preachy, because I get where you're coming from entirely, and I've absolutely used..."borrowed" assets for side projects that interested me (mostly to mess around or build up my resume, lol). Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bank_man For This Useful Post:

noah (08-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    15d 18h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin1991 View Post
    To be fair, I was one who took off work. With covid all my summer plans are cancelled. I'm also took off next thurs/friday for the madden 21 release. With no plans and vacation that wont roll over. Why not use it.

The discord Is a crap show for sure, I'm guilty of being rather toxic, too but theres a few in there that are aggresive from the start and think the guy should be catering to them.
    I suggested putting a NP cap for art commissions(idk how it would help/hurt the economy.) and people went NUTS. You can get in game rewards if you can draw, but shouldn't be able to keep a pet If you support the creator?
    I'm also now getting messages from people on here over that lol.

Oh well, damned if you do, damned if you dont.
    My bad I didn't know the context of that message

I shouldn't have even said anything lol. Just thought the drama was interesting and restarted it

Probably would have been better at the what gets under you skin thread

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FrankOcean For This Useful Post:

penguin1991 (08-20-2020)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,166 times
    Time Online
    557d 23h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    What I want to know is what these people's thoughts on patreon and patreon exclusive content is as a whole? What about sites like ko-fi? Especially hobbyists who aren't actually bringing in that much with their side-projects. What makes creating something like this different than somebody making a patreon for their podcast or whatever. Like, I get that it feels a little less tangible because something like a new feature is less discrete than something fully separate like individual new videos, as far as a person continually making new things, if that makes sense. If they have an issue with it for anybody making anything and ostensibly putting it behind a paywall, I probably can't do much to change an opinion. But if they feel differently about this vs vloggers or twitch streamers or more traditional artists, I ask them to examine why they feel one thing is more acceptable than the other.

idk, I support a handful of technologists (in the most general sense) at just the $1 level, mostly as symbolic support of them continuing to do their thing on the side, so

i realize the conversation has kind of moved past this, but it took me a while to organize my thoughts, but wanna share anyway

[edit] oops, last post was ten minutes ago, i really took a long time to sort thoughts, that's what i get for multitasking!
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Fabulous (08-20-2020),FrankOcean (08-20-2020),noah (08-20-2020),SSGal (08-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
    My bad I didn't know the context of that message

I shouldn't have even said anything lol. Just thought the drama was interesting and restarted it

Probably would have been better at the what gets under you skin thread
    No need to apologize. Just figured I'd offer an explanation, because I understand what you meant. People on there were taking it like it was everything to them. It should be a hobby and people should just be thankful they have the option to participate. Unfortunately that's not how people see it, thatll be what ruins it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to penguin1991 For This Useful Post:

FrankOcean (08-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    59/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    23d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m

Neopets Classic

Was checking out r/Neopets and it looks like another programmer's taking a crack at coding and running an old Neopets fansite: (you need an account to see links). It has a (you need an account to see links) (and a Discord, apparently).

Considering the issues Leopets has had in its long run, I'm interested to see if this takes off or not.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 21h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Moved your post.

We discussed this in depth a few months ago here, you may find some relevant discussion points.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 9h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    Oh yeah I forgot about this! I really do hope it takes off.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Druid For This Useful Post:

noah (11-21-2020)