Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with this mystery UFA trend spike on the PC? and more UFA culture complaints

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    3d 19h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

What's with this mystery UFA trend spike on the PC? and more UFA culture complaints

I see a few people going around and saying they're quitting or throwing in a trading thread, but opting out of even telling them what it is. It used to just be called a gifting board and people usually made a game out of it, but it was usually a low to mid-tier converted pet, the owner realized that it wasn't going to be anyone's dreamie, and it was all for fun.

Recently it seems as though the pets up for guess-adoption are of higher stakes. Why is this? Is it another wave of people trying to low-key get pets off their hands, or an innovative way to grab as much attention and doting as possible?

In other whines: now that there is a bit of a lull in drama and, therefore, such a thing as UFA UCs again (RIP to all the pets lost in the November crackdown), I looked at some of the application rules for a UC last night - what kind of crap are the PCers letting people do to them? I used to apply for awesome pets all of the time; I must have just gotten old or something. Deadlines weeks and weeks away (which sets a scary bar), secret messages you must embed in your application "creatively"...you're putting twice the hours into a shot in the dark at a UC than you could spending a few hours' pay at a job to get a better one.

Also, I love the new dimension of totally out of bounds emotional labor and limits that now are imposed on applicants. One of the pages I saw yesterday had a thick paragraph-long guide on why friendship isn't wanted and how to be silent and polite, etc. etc. I understand a simple rule to not be a kiss-ass or annoying, but I dunno, the (essentially) e-body language policing seems to have reached a new low on the boards lately.

It's all old news, I guess I'm just cranky.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 4h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    What I don't get about it is when people say they're quitting, then make 10+ boards for adopting out their pets, each one saying they really don't care what happens to the pets in the end. And despite this, their application rules span pages. I also just love when they say that NM and petpage apps have the same chances, but have these pages and pages of rules and hidden messages and nonsense that could never fit into a dozen NMs, let alone one. Oh, and "I wasn't forced to make this application" nonsense. Because let's face it, if you're accepting petpage apps, you're forcing everyone to make a petpage.

It's got to be that they love knowing that people spent so much time on impressing them, because it doesn't take a 50k backstory to show you'll feed a virtual pet.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zib For This Useful Post:

Binah (01-13-2016),♥ Hydrapple ♥ (01-14-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    161 times
    Time Online
    36d 2h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    kinda old thread but the 'i was not forced to make the page' thing is actually a rule in place by tnt.

quote the article in editorial #434:

As we stated in Editorial #342, extreme pet applications will not be tolerated on the site. What we mean by extreme includes requests for Petpages to be made for the Neopet as part of the application, the owner of the Neopet being refunded or gifted in any way to compensate for the "raising" of the Neopet, or anything beyond a standard application. If the owner wants you to write a little essay about why you would be a good choice, that is fine. (We encourage everyone to use their writing skills!) But going off the deep end of attempting to find a good owner for your Neopet to forcing people through hoops to boost your ego will not be welcome on the site. If you feel a player's application process falls into the extreme, you may report that player to our monitors for further investigation.
    basically, saying 'neomail applications are fine' is pretty much required since you can't MAKE someone make a petpage app for a neopet. it doesn't mean any of them will be looked at or considered tho lol

blessed by @Clefairy for a prosperous and eggy 2022
    and blessed by @honeycomb with snek on a string crowley ily

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowley For This Useful Post:

Binah (01-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Back before my main got iced (couple years ago) I was an applicant for an UC pet that was being adopted out. It was a big deal on the boards for months. It was my dream species/color combo. I'd been saving to handpaint my own before the conversion and just couldn't get enough mil to buy the pb and had no idea a redraw was coming, so naturally when the opportunity to still get that pet came up, I tried against my better judgement. I wrote this beautiful story, did really nice custom art with a fully designed petpage, made a gallery, etc. etc. I was the best app I'd seen until this one other player decided to apply who already had ridiculously extensive characters and drawings of her own pets and of course she ended up getting picked. She really didn't so any writing or anything creative, she was just a better drawer and threw up tons of nice pictures.

I just remember feeling kind of stupid because I don't think the original owner even read my application. I got no neomail saying, "Wow thanks for all that work, I can tell you really were interested." Nothing. It's like she decided before apps were even closed. That's when I turned to buying neopoints. XD Fuck it.

I know people want to pick good owners that will stay a part of the site so the pet can go to "good use", but it's obvious that owners that allow that extensive of applications only adopt out their pets for their own ego. It's like a control freak thing. They love being able to make demands, set rules, request things and watch all these droves of hopeless players throw themselves at a chance to obtain their precious pixels.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Seems like a interesting way to move a Illegit pet if done right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

Using My Pass (01-20-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Putting pets UFA is just a power trip at times. It's disheartening how intense some apps are and the qualifications.

Also if i ever were to put a pet UFA, I'd ask for no suck-ups and neomails too. I can't even lurk on those kind of boards anymore, my eyes end up rolling too much

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    3d 19h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Has anyone seen the UC Sponge currently UFA over PC and the boards/rules for it? Christ, I just noticed it and it's exactly what I'm talking about.

Sorry if that's any of you, wouldn't want to put a CKer on blast but...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to olivehead For This Useful Post:

alilquicker (01-17-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    109/0
    Mentioned
    465 times
    Time Online
    315d 18h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 57m
    Something tells me these "apps" have to be around 10 pages long XD

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by olivehead View Post
    Has anyone seen the UC Sponge currently UFA over PC and the boards/rules for it? Christ, I just noticed it and it's exactly what I'm talking about.

I haven't, but now I'm curious to find it on PC.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by olivehead View Post

Ahahaha, yes! I just saw that. I thought it was very timely. A fair few people have commented saying things like "Well maybe not that many people have applied because your expectations are too particular and high for applications" XD Love it.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by scarmans View Post
    Seems like a interesting way to move a Illegit pet if done right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It IS. A few years ago I bought a legit VWN maraquan draik from a guy on an old forum. He was new to selling and we were both kind of pussies about just transferring the pet with no connection between our accounts so we cooked up this scheme where he put it up for a 1-day adoption on the PC and said he would accept neomail apps only. Of course he got flooded with apps and I submitted one from my main. Hours later I was the lucky winner and started getting all these congratulations neomails. It was kind of hilarious and nerve wracking because everyone on the PC that day knew about it and was freaking out that someone would offer a pet like that with neomail apps only.
    Last edited by cinnamon; 01-16-2016 at 11:49 PM.