Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is academic qualification ensuring success in life?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    6d 3h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Nope. I think success in life is determined more on the emotional intelligence side. Being streetwise, hard-working, determined, etc. A degree helps of course, it makes your curriculum vitae look pretty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    172 times
    Time Online
    16d 13h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Why? Why not? Remember rule 4 of the debate zone : "REPLIES must be a minimum of 3-5 sentences (Revised 12/27/11) Your replies must still be thoughtful and respectful on the pertained subject."

If we talk about lifestyle in developed and rich countries, finishing high school and studying in a more specialized field can bring more advantagess and can greatly help to find a job paying more. More money sometimes means less financial worries, but that does not solve everything. Problems in life can happen anywhere, they can come from money or not.

But if we talk about poorer countries, education is not necessarily bringing more advantages. I went in Honduras in a small village where kids had complete high school studies, but it wasn't giving more jobs. There, most of the people are living from agriculture, livestock, fruits picking, etc. The others are trying to get a lame job in the capital or to cross illegally Mexico/United States borders.

But "success in life" can be different for everyone. I myself don't think I would be happy to stop studies and work for McDonald's for the rest of my life. I could be wrong.
    It also depends on what one views as success..

I definitely don't find that academic qualification ensures success.
    Granted, I'm still pursuing further education, but that's just in hopes that it will help me later on.

There are plenty of overqualified grad students that can't find jobs and have to resort to minimum wage jobs, paying the tens of thousands of dollars they used on college.
    There are also many successful businessmen and women whom have never had a college education.

While I think further studies are always helpful, I don't think anything can ensure success in life.