DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    5d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Yeah, information like that is a commodity, groups like the the omerta carders sell huge databases of names, socials, known relatives and such at discount prices on tor services. The information is out there, and its being passed around daily, scary shit.

Luckily most of the time the scammers either aren't smart enough or just half ass it and don't voip spoof numbers as @(you need an account to see links) said

2. The Following User Says Thank You to raithi For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-16-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    35d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    This was on the local news the other day. Some lady sent money via western union.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Goten For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post
    This was on the local news the other day. Some lady sent money via western union.
    I had a roommate selling her wedding dress on Craigslist and someone contacted her over-offering for the dress (they almost always over-offer to bait your greed). The scam comes in many forms, but they usually have some complex story that send up requiting you to accept a check for way more than you asked and have you send a portion of it back to them via western union or some other service. The initial check is always stolen or fake, so enough to pass the 2-3 day check most banks do so it clears, but they always catch it 1-2 weeks later and by then you've already sent $1000 or something to this random scammer and the bank wipes the original check deposit from your account.

She told me about the transaction after she deposited the check but before she sent the money thankfully, so I got her to not miss out on so much cash. Dummy.

There's also a guy in my town who walks around the streets near the university campus where a lot of students live or go to bars claiming to be their neighbor. He usually says he's locked out of his car and his keys and wallet are inside and if you give him $40 for a locksmith he'll pay you back when he gets his wallet. Every time someone brings it up on my town's subreddit there's like 6-7 people that respond saying they've fallen for his scam. Been doing it for YEARS.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinnamon For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-16-2016),Goten (01-17-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 23h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    That happened to my grandparents before. They knew my name, said i was their grandson. The story was that I was out in Vegas and got in some trouble and needed them to send me money so I could get home and pay my "debt". They called my dad and asked what I was doing in Vegas and if he'd heard from me lately. Luckily they didn't fall for it. Elderly people are targeted a lot like that
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

8. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    A few years ago I rememver a guy was arrested here that went into an old folks home posing as someone's son. They went knocking on random doors until they find the ones who are suffering from dementia and had them write cheques to get them out of "a bind". I think the guy was holding a bouquet of flowers too to complete the picture of a nice son.

Scams happen all the time though. We were flagged down in a Red Lobster parking lot once after our date night by some guy saying he needed money to stay in a hostile that night. He made up this sob story about him being an apprentice plumber and not having his pay cheque come until the next day. He said he needed $40 more that night to pay for 3 nights in the hostile. And we said since you have some money why not pay for just tonight and get your cheque tomorrow?. He said no he wants $40 to pay for all 3. So we said no good luck and drove away. The flagging down in the parking lot made it seem like he was actually needing something though which is why we stopped. He was all squirrely though, looking around bug eyed. I'm not giving you money for what appears to be a scam for more dope. Go away.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-16-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    this entire thread made me so sad? i had to stop reading some of this shit before i started crying god damn lmao
    people who prey on the elderly are fucking scum honestly they deserve to burn.

especially this shit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    They went knocking on random doors until they find the ones who are suffering from dementia and had them write cheques to get them out of "a bind".
    THIS IS SO NASTY fucking christ how can you live with yourself after you do stuff like this? after you even consider it???? LORD.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Super glad your grandpa saw through it!

My grandma fell for the Nigerian prince scam when she was alive. Sent them over $2k. Ugh. How soulless you do have to be to pry on old folk?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aska For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
    this entire thread made me so sad? i had to stop reading some of this shit before i started crying god damn lmao
    people who prey on the elderly are fucking scum honestly they deserve to burn.

especially this shit:

THIS IS SO NASTY fucking christ how can you live with yourself after you do stuff like this? after you even consider it???? LORD.
    It happens a lot. Especially at Christmas when people are visiting family, there is no red flag to a guy visiting his elderly parents at that time. Those with dementia are easy targets. They are absolutely souless they just want dope money or some quick cash.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    29d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    this is really, really common scam. almost always it's old people they target. my mum used to work somewhere who did money transfers and weekly she would be hearing these stories.

i'm glad he didn't fall for it!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Curse For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-17-2016)