DL/UL
    169/0
    Mentioned
    273 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Being able to watch anime or movies while relaxing and getting paid for it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zxzero For This Useful Post:

Maison (02-04-2016),potatoespotate (02-04-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoespotate View Post
    I was quite the troubled kid in most of primary school (well I was awkward all my school years, but I did dumb things like steal and other stuff that got me into trouble back in 3rd-6th grade), but I had one teacher who stood out and actually went out of her way to guide me and I'm forever grateful to her for that. I wished I hadn't lost contact with her though, I'd love to reconnect with her to let her know how immensely grateful I am for all that she's done for me.
    If you're serious about that, try getting in contact with you old school. Back in 2007, I wanted to get in touch with my first grade teacher, as she was the one who first recognised my flair for writing (I'd written a story about going fishing and the fish suffocating on the dock next to me. She thought I was disturbed, yes, but also talented). I contacted the school, who printed my email out and snail-mailed it to her, since she wasn't online at all. She not only remembered me, but accepted the invitation I sent her, flying interstate to see me again, after more than 10 years. Sap that I am, I cried when I saw her. To leave a permanent mark on someone in the best possible way is an amazing gift. I aspire to be that for someone. I don't doubt that your special teacher would be filled with absolute warmth to know that you feel that way about her; I urge you to try going though the school, to make it happen.

@(you need an account to see links) - what makes you want to follow finance/banking?
    @(you need an account to see links) - that's a beautiful sentiment. It's great how your passion comes through your words.
    @(you need an account to see links) - I can understand both geography and social stressors being important considerations. Getting to spend time with your dogs is a good reason in my books!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

potatoespotate (02-04-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    158/9
    Mentioned
    217 times
    Time Online
    54d 9h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    My part-time job is working at Woolworths stacking fruit and vegetables onto a shelf, whilst I consider the job worthless, I still appreciate the life skills/opportunities it has given me. I've been able to travel, buy a car and live because of my first job I feel like no matter what job you have you can turn it around

I'm going to be studying a Bachelor of Paramedicine this year which will be cool

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I work in immigration removals, so it's pretty soul destroying. HOWEVER, the money is fantastic for what I do, we're only a team of five and work on flexi time, both my managers are cool and easy going and most of the time don't come in till gone 9am, so I roll up at 8:30, say I've been in since 7, and get off at 3.

Literally yesterday and the day before it was only me and my manager in and he just let me leave at 2 for no reason, with no loss of pay/time.

Also, I can pretty much have unlimited cigarette breaks, up to a 2 hour lunch (on my own time), and get all weekends/bank holidays off as well as 2 and a half extra privilege days, and 25 days leave. So I can't complain apart from the fact that it's boring, and we witness some pretty disturbing things.
    Last edited by Howl; 02-04-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    When I was working at a post-secondary institute it was the students that made it worthwhile. I did not like my actual job but being around the students, talking, laughing, supporting, and watching them grow into mature students was awesome. I was not an instructor or a TA but I was in the classrooms all the time. It was great. So I would love to get a job at a University or other institute again.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    @(you need an account to see links) - like deporting people? I can see why you struggle with the human side of it! @(you need an account to see links) - your attitude is much better than just saying 'the money.' What made you want to go into paramedics? @(you need an account to see links) - come work at my school. Our lab technician is a super bitch. I'm glad I don't have anything to do with her.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Water (02-05-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    158/9
    Mentioned
    217 times
    Time Online
    54d 9h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    @(you need an account to see links), I Like to help people and driving fast

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    @(you need an account to see links) yeah, I'm basically the person who tries to scope out refused asylum cases and put them forward for removal from the UK. There's a sense of achievement there, when you deport someone that has committed crimes and sexual offences etc. But when you're removing a young, single mother family it's just hard to take in.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    137/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    12d 17h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    @(you need an account to see links) I'd be interested to hear you thoughts about what this woman has said?

(you need an account to see links)

As a student teacher I can already see where she is coming from and I've only been on 1 prac placement so far.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by gaskin View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) I'd be interested to hear you thoughts about what this woman has said?

(you need an account to see links)

As a student teacher I can already see where she is coming from and I've only been on 1 prac placement so far.
    I commend you on your career choice. It is sad indeed that there is such a high burn-out rate for new teachers. To be fair though, it is estimated that young people today will have between 6-8 careers (not jobs, careers) in their working lives, so the turnover isn't just restricted to education. Ours is just one of the more widely known statistics.

I can definitely see where she is coming from in a lot of regards, but the impact of it really depends on context as well. I teach in a rural high school, where I am the most experienced English teacher on staff by 3 years, and am the only Drama teacher. As such, I get an incredibly amount of autonomy and flexibility in what I teach. I wrote the work programs for every grade that studies English in my school myself; I chucked out C2C and designed engaging and effective units based on our clientele. In a bigger school, most people would not get that level of control over what they want to teach. Some schools mandate C2C. Some have archaic work programs. It really impacts how happy we have the potential to be, when we have passion for what we teach because we chose it ourselves.

Secondly, the introduction of the Australian Curriculum was a massive shock to Qld state schools, in particular primary schools. I did my primary schooling from K-5 in Sydney, then was skipped ahead 6 and put in 7 when I moved to Qld. Even as a kid, I could tell how incredibly far below the expectations were. It shocked me. I didn't understand why everyone seemed so far behind. So I can definitely understand Qld primary teachers having a heart attack when the AC came in, because it really was so much higher than they were used to. For an end-career teacher, it would have been a huge adjustment to get used to.

Her point regarding high needs classes and differentiation is definitely valid. I'm fortunate that because I teach Senior English, most of my timetable is filled with the more capable students. The problem is that failing kids get pushed though the system. If a kid has failed everything and is working below year level standards, I see it as in their best interest to have them repeat to help them catch up. The system makes it too hard to do that though, so we end up with kids who are in grade 10 reading at a primary level. It's bad PR though, to have kids repeat. Plus parents usually aren't supportive, as they feel it is stigmatised. They fail to recognise that the extra time at school may be what is in the child's best interest. Children today also do have more emotional and psychological problems than in the past, which are due to many different factors. School pressures may factor in, but I think that if you're good at your job then you should be able to mitigate that.

To be short, where and what you're teaching are hugely influential on whether or not you'll be able to find job satisfaction. As much as I dreaded going rural, I'm so glad that I did. If you can, learn to create your own units based on the content descriptors of your subject sooner, rather than later. Map them out over the year to ensure they're all covered in the most effective groupings, so you've got a clear idea of the outcomes you want to achieve at each junction. It'll help cut out a lot of the fluff that you may otherwise be trying to fit into a tight program.

If you ever want to talk about your progress, worries, difficulties etc, feel free to shoot me through a PM. I'm a mentor for graduate teachers in my school, and am happy to support you through your journey.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

gaskin (02-05-2016)