56/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    37d 16h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m

Need help on my parents 30th annivarsary / 1st grandchild idea! +rep

Title says it, but to sum it up; It's my parents 30th anniversary is in a couple days. My lady and I recently found out we're expecting our first. I'm super broke atm, but I was thinking I could combine these two into a thoughtful gift that would basically congratulate them for 30 years together, while saying "Hey you're going to be grandparents." I said a card and our first ultrasound pics? My lady said a mug saying you'll be grandparents... I know I can do better, but honestly I'm lost and I'm on a pretty tight budget ($20 or less) which makes it harder. (I used to be a great gift-giver too lol. Still am, but idk about this one)

CK and the Neopets community in general is creative af. I'm looking for some suggestions and maybe we can piece something together? This is a pretty big deal on both ends. I have a few days and I'd like to do it right if I can Any real help will get some rep / thanks. Please post here, but pm is open. Thanks y'all.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    114/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    42d 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    First of all congratulations!!! I think something simple like "world's greatest grandma/grandpa" T-shirts would be pretty sweet. Hopefully some of the other members can come up with something better. Hope it goes well and good luck on your own journey for 30 years together with your lady!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:

Infiniti (07-24-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    56/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    37d 16h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
    First of all congratulations!!! I think something simple like "world's greatest grandma/grandpa" T-shirts would be pretty sweet. Hopefully some of the other members can come up with something better. Hope it goes well and good luck on your own journey for 30 years together with your lady!
    I appreciate the contribution, but I'm hoping for something more lol. Obviously you don't know my parents, but they rock "Disney World", "Hilton Head", and "Pure Michigan" shirts daily lol. They're the prime example of tourist the majority of occasions lol.

I'd love to contribute traveling into it, because I'm a traveler and so are they, but I'm looking for something with more emphasis of an original gift, and with a little more "You're grandparents, congrats, happy anniversary" feel to it.

I don't expect the perfect idea, but ideas in general will definitely help lol. I'm creative enough to make something work... I hope lol

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    38d 23h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    Congratulations! Wishing you and your wife all the best on your journey.

As you are open to a hand-crafted gift, perhaps doing something along the lines of a photo album scrapbook for your parents? Doing a great travel theme with thoughtful notes throughout, and leaving some space at the end with a "Grandparents" section to announce that they'll also get to partake in a new kind of experience wth you and your wife?

This kind of thing should definitely be on-budget and not take a ton of time, while being personalized and thoughtful.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koto For This Useful Post:

Gato (07-24-2019),Infiniti (07-24-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    You could find a box, and put in a balloon (literally the dollar tree has them) saying something about congratulations grandma and grandpa and tie a binky to the end with an ultrasound picture. When they open the box, the balloons will float out and it will be a super nice surprise. Give them a seperate card and tell them their anniversary present is in the box.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ph0enix For This Useful Post:

Infiniti (07-24-2019)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    335 times
    Time Online
    163d 5h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 47m
    Perhaps frame a picture of your ultra sound and tape a picture of your parents on the outside of the glass.

Wrap it and say you forgot to put the picture in the frame but were in a hurry to wrap it.

Give them a card with it that say Happy Anniversary too.

(Make it a nice frame. Walmart has some cheap decorative ones you can spray paint gold or some other color)

Frame $5
    Spray paint $3
    Print out photos at Walgreens/Cvs/Riteaid $1 (should cover both photos)
    Card $5
    Wrapping paper $2

You're under $20.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pidgey For This Useful Post:

Infiniti (07-24-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    4d 3h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I personally think you should make two sepparate gifts. One to celebrate their anniversary, relationship and lives... And another one to make them know they'll be grandparents! I don't think it works to put both gifts in only one thing because their relationship and their love for each other is a completelly different thing than they being grandparents. So maybe it would be better if you put effort in a very good anniversary gift, and then gave them a smaller gift abut their future grandchild.

Or I don't know if it's only me but if it was my special day, the day I'm celebrating the love between my wife (If I had one) and I, and my adult child came to our celebration and made it about their pregnancy and gave us gifts about their pregnancy, I'd feel my child is acting in an inappropiate way, just like if a friend of yours won a competition and at the party you change the subject about that time you won a competition too, or those bridesmaids that dress white in a wedding.

Honestly is better if you tell them of your pregnancy once the celebration is over and everyone already cheerished their anniversary, so once they feel they had their special day you can bring the subject. Congratulations to you both on your pregnancy and good luck!
    Last edited by kiara; 07-24-2019 at 05:49 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kiara For This Useful Post:

Infiniti (07-26-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    49/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    13d 4h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I make hade made jewelry. i can make mickey mouse heads or gloved wizard hands with a want with their birthstone at the tip of the wnd. I usually will work around any budget as well

Here is a current piece i merely began this morning

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Get your dad a Grandfather clock...Then tell him, when he asks why, that it wouldn't have seem fit until now (Different idea I just thought of before lurking elsewhere)
    Thank you $Infected for the FANTASTIC upgrade to my forum look!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SomeClown For This Useful Post:

Infiniti (07-26-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    45d 2h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
    Congratulations! Wishing you and your wife all the best on your journey.

As you are open to a hand-crafted gift, perhaps doing something along the lines of a photo album scrapbook for your parents? Doing a great travel theme with thoughtful notes throughout, and leaving some space at the end with a "Grandparents" section to announce that they'll also get to partake in a new kind of experience wth you and your wife?

This kind of thing should definitely be on-budget and not take a ton of time, while being personalized and thoughtful.
    I really like this idea! I kind of agree that the present should be more about the anniversary and less about your upcoming celebration (congratulations by the way!!!) it's their special day afterall. But I can see how that could be much wanted and exciting news for them - something like a photo album or scrap book with their adventures commemmorates their lives together, while leaving the last few pages blank with an ultrasound photo is the sweetest touch!

Other stuff on top of my head is all-things engraved XD I've been to a dozen households with anniversary/wedding engravings or custom print on cutting boards, champagne glasses, china, welcome mats, picture frames, wall decals, etc. All of these are quite affordable and the engraving will take the bulk of the cost. There are some ready made ones under 20 on Amazon and whatnot, but I think something a bit more personal would go a long way on such a special occasion.

If you're feeling crafty you can consider making something along these lines as well? Like a wall decor piece, a wreath, maybe a canvas if you're feeling particularly artsy. If your parents are into traditional themes, you can throw in a touch of immitation pearl and lillies or something. When I'm on a budget I usually go with hand-made stuff, and if all else fails I bake a cake (and hey, if your lady is far along enough, you can make a creamy center colored with the gender reveal )

Good luck and congratulations to you and your family!

edit: If you're going to go with the card+ultrasound route - check out Hallmark Signature and Paper Wonder collections. I was looking for a card recently and was blown away by these small but incredible art pieces they have. Cards that pop-up into houses, boats, animals, plants, bodegas, cars - you name it. Whatever your parents like, you will find it there, and each one is memorable and visually stunning. Price wise, they range from 5USD to 20+ (but the latter typically included 14k gold or something). Here are some to give you a idea of what I'm talking about:

Last edited by Gato; 07-24-2019 at 05:51 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gato For This Useful Post:

Infiniti (07-26-2019)