Thread: Gmail phishing attack making the rounds, looks to be very effective at lookign legitimate

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

Gmail phishing attack making the rounds, looks to be very effective at lookign legitimate

If I am reading this correctly it is an old phishing attack that is making the rounds. I haven't heard of it before and the pages it produces look very legitimate.

Some awesome info learned from the article was how to check if someone else has been accessing your gmail account.

If you use GMail, you can check your login activity to find out of someone else is signing into your account. Visit (you need an account to see links) for info. To use this feature, scroll to the bottom of your inbox and click �Details� (very small in the far lower right hand corner of the screen). This will show you all currently active sessions as well as your recent login history. If you see active logins from unknown sources, you can force close them. If you see any logins in your history from places you don�t know, you may have been hacked. [Thanks Ken, I pasted your comment in here almost verbatim. Very helpful.]
    (you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    25d 11h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Enabling 2-step verification protects against this since I get a text / email any time I log in from a new location.
    Add salt to taste!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Salivating Slorg For This Useful Post:

Stocking Anarchy (01-13-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    Yeah, enabling 2FA is the most effective. It should be the standard for all sites now, good thing a lot of sites are implementing it.
    i love luna

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    17h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Thankfully, a lot of sites are implementing it, but worryingly enough, a lot of major sites don't look like they have 2FA planned in the near future(Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    Quote Originally Posted by godofred View Post
    Thankfully, a lot of sites are implementing it, but worryingly enough, a lot of major sites don't look like they have 2FA planned in the near future(Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.)
    Yeah, I really think Skype should get it as well. It's a huge target for people trying to crack into their accounts, so I don't know why they don't do it.
    i love luna

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    17h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    Yeah, I really think Skype should get it as well. It's a huge target for people trying to crack into their accounts, so I don't know why they don't do it.
    I kinda understand it from an implementation perspective. It would cost more to actually implement 2FA(even if it's optional) than to just continue with what they're currently doing. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Even with concerns about security, most big sites would rather put the burden of account security on the users instead of trying to make things safer through their own means.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to godofred For This Useful Post:

Aura (01-13-2017)