64/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    8d 8h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar75 View Post
    thanks for the screenies @(you need an account to see links) and i agree; i hate the r word.
    why? retard is used as a definition of "to stunt" such as flame Retardant (i.e. to stunt the flame from growing). when added with Mentally it becomes a synonym for those with less than average intelligence. Cerebral palsy and down syndrome are not forms of mental retardation, they are both classified as birth defects, and do not imply mental retardation. Some of the greatest minds in the world would be considered retarded by those standards. Would Bach or Beethoven be considered retarded since they both had Asperger syndrome, or Steven Hawking? before you become infatuated with the daguerreotype of a word perhaps we should all take a moment to realize what they mean. Another example is Negro, which in the rest of the world literally means "black" but in America its a racial slur.... sounds almost like America is the mentally challenged ones here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to c4ndym4n For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    14d 22h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I am so tired of seeing arguments like this. Every single time an argument breaks out over a word it's always OH BACK IN THE OLDEN TIMES IT MEANT...

Regardless of whatever literal dictionary definition the word retard has, it's obvious that this person was using the word as an insult.

Nobody is mad about this girl saying the r-slur. They're mad about her using it as an obvious insult/attack. You can see a homosexual and yell "Fucking faggot!" but that doesn't mean it's okay just because "faggot" can also mean the dictionary definition of a bundle of sticks. You weren't calling that person a bundle of sticks and you know it.

No shit that "retard" is an actual word used as a definition for "to stunt", but obviously this girl didn't say that word with its dictionary definition in mind.

It has nothing to do with Americans or whatever. Everyone knows that saying that word is okay, and that saying it directed at another person as an insult is not okay. There's no need to make this a cultural thing. Everyone knows the difference between when the word is used and when the word is used with harmful context.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Animals For This Useful Post:

Aura (10-01-2015),Lazuli (10-01-2015),Mindfang (10-01-2015),Oreo (10-01-2015),oscar75 (10-01-2015),Ribbon (10-01-2015),Roslyn (10-01-2015),Sakuras (10-01-2015),Winona (10-01-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    8d 8h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Animals View Post
    I am so tired of seeing arguments like this. Every single time an argument breaks out over a word it's always OH BACK IN THE OLDEN TIMES IT MEANT...

Regardless of whatever literal dictionary definition the word retard has, it's obvious that this person was using the word as an insult.

Nobody is mad about this girl saying the r-slur. They're mad about her using it as an obvious insult/attack. You can see a homosexual and yell "Fucking faggot!" but that doesn't mean it's okay just because "faggot" can also mean the dictionary definition of a bundle of sticks.

No shit that "retard" is an actual word used as a definition for "to stunt". But obviously this girl did not say that word with it's dictionary definition in mind.

It has nothing to do with Americans or whatever. Everyone knows that saying that word is okay, and that saying it directed at another person as an insult is not okay. There's no need to make this a cultural thing. Everyone knows the difference between when the word is used and when the word is used with harmful context.
    in what context did i mention the old days?
    It was not used as an insult, i think it was used as a question. he didnt go you are a retard. or say you dumb retarded bitch or anything along those lines.
    faggot is a insult, in any way you put it as it holds no context, people can be stunted, however last time i checked people cant be a bundle of sticks and or a cigarette. Although this is another subject as people now find Gay and or Lesbian offensive.
    i think it was used in a literal sense, mostly because it was phrased as a question, and mental blindness was also mentioned.
    yes yes there is a cultural difference, me being a white male cannot call someone a nigger without the world flipping its shit but i can be called a cracker all day and have 0 impact. not to mention i am of german heritage and fit the hitler race model so i get the added joy of being called a nazi all the time, with 0 recourse from society or negative impact.

As an added bonus, what one person finds offensive someone else may not, do i care i get called a cracker ass nazi all the time? not really? do they care that i called them a dumbass nigger in response? yes. you get what you give, she gave a retarded statement and got called out on it.

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

as a side note, i am not racist, i do not care what color you are. pink purple blue green or yellow. you are made of dna. not a social and or racial profile. and for those in the quest for knowledge a nigger is an ignorant person, which as we all know come in all shapes colors and sizes.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    1d 18h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by c4ndym4n View Post
    why? retard is used as a definition of "to stunt" such as flame Retardant (i.e. to stunt the flame from growing). when added with Mentally it becomes a synonym for those with less than average intelligence. Cerebral palsy and down syndrome are not forms of mental retardation, they are both classified as birth defects, and do not imply mental retardation. Some of the greatest minds in the world would be considered retarded by those standards. Would Bach or Beethoven be considered retarded since they both had Asperger syndrome, or Steven Hawking? before you become infatuated with the daguerreotype of a word perhaps we should all take a moment to realize what they mean. Another example is Negro, which in the rest of the world literally means "black" but in America its a racial slur.... sounds almost like America is the mentally challenged ones here.
    Because certain words are historically associated as a degrading insult/or refers to a specific inhuman history (like negro) and honestly it is usually used as an insult by general public unless you are like writing an essay or having a debate or something. There are much easier and better term, why would you use these words anyway?

Like I would be like omfg you a retard lovingly to my dear friend but to the general public it still implies below average intelligent regardless of how I meant/say it. Communication two way street, just cause you meant to define a word as something else doesn't mean other people get that. (Education is a privilege that I feel most people do not have) Feel free to educate what you mean, but it is still offensive in historical (very recent history too) context and will be associate as such.

"not to mention i am of german heritage and fit the hitler race model so i get the added joy of being called a nazi all the time, with 0 recourse from society or negative impact. "

Just because theres 0 recourse doesn't mean it is right lol. It is not ok to call someone a Nazi or cracker or anything. It is an issue too, just less talk about (but that doesn't mean its ok). Those who does are either kids or dick and you should tell them that... or tell them to go read a book

It is not about the racist/discriminating undertone of a word too, but more like being considerate???
    Idk thats how I look at thing. Of course it is not something I feel like everyone should do. I do it because it make myself feel better. That idk, Im not hurting anyone especially when I don't want to and when I definitely don't mean to. It feels nice too when people are considerate for me, so why not reciprocate.

SO OFF TRACK

I feel like that is just like shitty side of tumblr migrating over to neopet lol
    please dont let it migrate to ck, we are civilized people here uvu ~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to banana For This Useful Post:

Roslyn (10-01-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    248 times
    Time Online
    58d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    It is incredibly ignorant to deny the negative connotations behind the word, "retard." I don't know why one would decide to give the user who used that word the benefit of the doubt, "Oh, they used it literally." Judging by their apparent lack of spelling ability (ex. "crazyness") and overall poor grammar, I would assume they used the word in its most basic, negative form.
    @(you need an account to see links)
    Why would you give someone a hard time about not liking the word when YOU admitted that words mean different things to different people and that the word, "retarded," in particular, can be used as an insult?

AT BEST, in this scenario, I will give you some slack and say it can be interpreted either way - literal or as an insult. But it's definitely not black and white like you are trying to make it seem.
    Last edited by Roslyn; 10-01-2015 at 09:27 AM.

I love Jess

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Brb I'm go smoke a fag and maybe convince NASA to get me off this world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

c4ndym4n (10-01-2015),Meepit (10-01-2015),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (10-01-2015),Winona (10-01-2015)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,164 times
    Time Online
    557d 12h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Being posed as a question does absolutely nothing to change the context. I'm tired and rushing to get out the door, so the only example I can think of to illustrate this is D12.

Like who's D12, how we get started
    (What about Eminem?)
    Bitch, are you r*tarded?
    It is very clearly a rhetorical question.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    14d 22h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Every time someone uses very offensive language or defends a person using offensive language, 100% for the sake of being offensive, the excuse of "Oh but that offensive word actually means this old dictionary definition!" that has absolutely no relevancy in modern times. You didn't mention the old days, but the fact that you come in this thread justifying that the use of the word "retard" as an insult is okay "because it just means like a flame retardent!" when NOBODY uses the word in this way when they're having an argument.

It was certainly used as an insult. You can insult someone by asking a question - it doesn't need to be a statement surrounded by swears. The person asked "What is the problem with you? Is it some kind of blindness or is it just mental retardness?" this was obviously an insult. Even if it wasn't an aggressive attack such as "you dumb retarded bitch" it is so obvious to see that these two people were arguing and that the way one person said "What is the problem with you?" before asking if they are retarded. When you look at the context (that they were arguing) and put tow and two together, you cannot even begin to tell me that the person meant no harm or sarcasm at all and was just asking an innocent question. As if.

It was not used in a literal sense. It was a sarcastic question directed as an insult. She was not asking the person she was arguing with if she was retarded for the sake of knowing about this girl's personal life and possible disabilities. Nobody has an argument and then just stops and asks, genuinely, without sarcasm, "Excuse me miss, but are you mentally retarded? Just wanted to know!"

There is no cultural difference that can defend this. No matter what it boils down to, insulting someone isn't fucking nice. Any culture will agree with this. Bullying, using insults, name calling, and using offensive slurs for the sake of being offensive is wrong. No culture thinks it's okay.

You should not call anyone that word and nobody should be calling you a cracker or a nazi either. They are ALL wrong. I'm sorry that some people in this world have that double standard, and I hate how some people think some racism is wrong but xenophobic comments are fine. But this has nothing to do with you and you're not justifying your argument any further by throwing your sob story in here and making it about you.

Point being, it's not okay to use such things as insults in arguments where it's completely unrelated. I'm sorry that some people call you a nazi because of your German heritage, but that does not make it fucking okay to call them something racist. At that point, you're doing the exact same thing that you're so upset at them for doing to you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    8d 8h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
    Being posed as a question does absolutely nothing to change the context. I'm tired and rushing to get out the door, so the only example I can think of to illustrate this is D12.

It is very clearly a rhetorical question.
    welp i give up, this makes all logical sense, youll say bitch but not retarded? im out. and yes if you live in todays society and do not know about Eminem you are indeed retarded. and honestly i dont care how many negative reps i get or whatnot. i think it was a literal question. if someone walks up to you and says hey ill give you a 20 dollar bill for your 100 dollar bill i would indeed ask if they are retarded. if you don't understand that you are retarded. sensitivity training can go fuck itself and im not apologizing

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 20h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Kids these days get offended so much.

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PrettySarcastic For This Useful Post:

c4ndym4n (10-01-2015),DJ Music Man (10-01-2015),genesis (10-01-2015),Nixx (10-01-2015)